Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Loud thud when going over speed bumps.

Search this Thread

Old 1/12/13, 12:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loud thud when going over speed bumps.

Hi, I have a 2012 mustang GT, so on my way to work I have to pass through 4 speed bumps. Whenever I take the speed bump a little faster it would make a loud thud, it's like some metal hit the concrete speed bump or something. I don't know what's causing the thud. Whenever I take the speed bump at 4-5 mph this will happen, if I take the speed bump at 1-2 mph it's fine and there's no thud sound. Just some background information, My front lower control arms got swapped out 4 times by the dealer because of a creaky bushing, this issue has still not been resolved after the 4th attempt. However, right now there's no creaking because the weather has been cold here in NYC. It creaks when it's 70 degrees or up outside. I believe this is a separate issue and has nothing to do with the thud noise. Anyone know what's causing this thud and what I can do to fix it?
Old 1/12/13, 02:48 AM
GT Member

Stay slow on the bumps. I always do even at stock height on all speed bumps/humps. I went a tad too fast (like you say maybe 4-5 moh) over one one day and had the same result. I cringed when it happened! Most likely the subframe area. I haven't gotten under to see what it actually scraped. Been too cold, when its due for an oil change ill look closer...
Old 1/12/13, 07:21 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds like you are beating up the under carriage of the car. Slow down.......
Old 1/12/13, 07:44 AM
Bullitt Member

That's the funny thing about our Mustangs...you can't take speed bumps going over 2mph...but you can take a speed bump in a Honda civic going 15mph no problem...what is going on?
Old 1/12/13, 08:20 AM
V6 Member

You're probably hitting bumpstops at that speed. I always creep over speedbumps because, well, that's what you do in a car. In a truck I always go HAM.
Old 1/12/13, 10:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
You mean a Civic with marshmallow 70-series tires and 98-pound-weakling curb weight? No **** you can hit the bumps faster. You still shouldn't, though.

You're crashing the rear bump stops. You could cut them down a touch but, I wouldn't. I don't crash my Brembo car, even with 55d lowering springs, taking speed bumps at 10 mph or so. I wouldn't dive at them faster as that's just stupid fast way to damage suspension components and invite a trip to the alignment shop. There's alot of steel under the rear of this thing and you don't want to get it moving too fast in any direction, typical live axle. Better shocks can help with this.

Last edited by 5LHO; 1/12/13 at 10:10 AM.
Old 1/13/13, 02:10 PM
Cobra Member

The bump stops are rubber....there would be no metal to concrete sound. From the ops description, I bet he is dragging the bottom of the car over the bump as it comes back down from the shock of rising so fast due to the speed at which he hits them at....as I said before....bet he will find scrap marks on the under carriage around 6" behind the front wheels.
Old 1/13/13, 02:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by AzPete
The bump stops are rubber....there would be no metal to concrete sound. From the ops description, I bet he is dragging the bottom of the car over the bump as it comes back down from the shock of rising so fast due to the speed at which he hits them at....as I said before....bet he will find scrap marks on the under carriage around 6" behind the front wheels.
other than scrap marks it should be fine right, nothing else damaged? I took the bump at just under 5mph, not fast at all
Old 1/13/13, 07:00 PM
Cobra Member

Most likely did nothing more than scrap things up a bit. That area is a pretty solid area. Get it on a lift and check it out.
Old 1/14/13, 12:05 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Will3212
Hi, I have a 2012 mustang GT, so on my way to work I have to pass through 4 speed bumps. Whenever I take the speed bump a little faster it would make a loud thud, it's like some metal hit the concrete speed bump or something. I don't know what's causing the thud. Whenever I take the speed bump at 4-5 mph this will happen, if I take the speed bump at 1-2 mph it's fine and there's no thud sound.
Hey Will3212,

I still recommend you bring your vehicle in to your Ford dealer for diagnosis. Then, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can escalate this to the customer service manager for your area.

Deysha
Old 1/15/13, 04:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by magnido45
That's the funny thing about our Mustangs...you can't take speed bumps going over 2mph...but you can take a speed bump in a Honda civic going 15mph no problem...what is going on?
I can hit these pretty hard in my S2000 with zero noises except my teeth rattling in my jaw lol. I'd look into aftermarket A arms if Ford can't get it right. That's ridiculous.
Old 1/15/13, 04:33 PM
Cobra Member

Everyone knows if you hit speed bumps fast enough in just about anything....you will never drag the bottom of the car.....very hard on the suspension though. Also....different suspension systems react differently to the same bump so I would not say it is a Ford did it wrong thing.
Old 1/16/13, 01:18 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Will3212
Hi, I have a 2012 mustang GT, so on my way to work I have to pass through 4 speed bumps. Whenever I take the speed bump a little faster it would make a loud thud, it's like some metal hit the concrete speed bump or something. I don't know what's causing the thud. Whenever I take the speed bump at 4-5 mph this will happen, if I take the speed bump at 1-2 mph it's fine and there's no thud sound. Just some background information, My front lower control arms got swapped out 4 times by the dealer because of a creaky bushing, this issue has still not been resolved after the 4th attempt. However, right now there's no creaking because the weather has been cold here in NYC. It creaks when it's 70 degrees or up outside. I believe this is a separate issue and has nothing to do with the thud noise. Anyone know what's causing this thud and what I can do to fix it?

I think I know what you are talking about I haver heard it on my 2013 GT. I think is the suspension, you are not hitting nothing on the ground. I have experienced it both when going over a speed bump or even when the front part of the car tries to catch some air when going quite fast and reaching a depression on the road is like the suspension kicks or pushes down and makes that strange sound. Always though it could be the stabiliser bar or something of that sort

Last edited by CR_Stang; 1/16/13 at 01:20 PM.
Old 1/17/13, 03:15 PM
GT Member

Gotta agree with you about the horrendous noise you can get from the rear end going over any type of bump where both rear wheels hit it at about the same time. Maybe 2mph is tolerable in my V6, but I have another Ford and 60mph is quiet (guess I miss the point of the speed bumps lol). Once I hit some RR tracks that I normally drive over at full posted speed in the other car, 40mph in the Mustang and it sounded like I was trying to drive over a curb (no scraping etc. though).

There is another thing if you have a spare tire in the trunk, not sure if GTs do. I don't have to tell you that the trunk had ~zero attention paid to it and reminds one that these are "cheap" cars. The cover over the spare is equally rubbish and mine doesn't even fit decently, there's nothing to hold it down properly at the rear-most part. I mention this because it makes a horrible scraping+rubbery noise that is plenty loud when going over speed bumps at low speed (yes I have learned). I haven't investigated what I can do about it yet. Car has less than 400 miles on it.
Old 1/17/13, 04:39 PM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Even though its McPherson struts u gotta go over those bumps diagonally not head on
Old 1/18/13, 10:45 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Hey Will................Upgrade to this for speed bumps.
Attached Thumbnails Loud thud when going over speed bumps.-gary-schneider-general-lee.jpg  
Old 1/18/13, 02:48 PM
Bullitt Member

As of late I think I can almost hear on my '13 it almost sounds like a squeal from the rear suspension when I go over a speed bump at a faster speed... :/
Old 1/22/13, 12:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Definitely have a creaking sound almost when I go over speed bumps or almost any sort of bumps from the rear. Going to make an appointment at my dealer to have them check this out. This can't be good...
Old 1/23/13, 07:17 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by viiStang
Definitely have a creaking sound almost when I go over speed bumps or almost any sort of bumps from the rear. Going to make an appointment at my dealer to have them check this out. This can't be good...
Hi viiStang,

I agree with you bringing it in to your dealer as soon as possible. Then, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can escalate this to the customer service manager for your area.

Deysha
Old 1/23/13, 08:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Hi viiStang,

I agree with you bringing it in to your dealer as soon as possible. Then, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can escalate this to the customer service manager for your area.

Deysha
Will do! Looking to bring it into the dealer tomorrow morning. As always thanks for your help Deysha!

Quick Reply: Loud thud when going over speed bumps.