Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

I had one of the good ones - MT82 Transmission Whining has begun...

Search this Thread

Old 9/27/11, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As soon as the 5.0 I plan on picking up is ready for its first oil change, the Motorcrap is coming out and a 5w30 synthetic is going in.
Old 9/27/11, 10:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Ehatcher
As soon as the 5.0 I plan on picking up is ready for its first oil change, the Motorcrap is coming out and a 5w30 synthetic is going in.
Make sure it's a FULL synthetic.
Old 9/27/11, 10:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by cababah
you sound like a broken record..i've heard this a million times.

yada yada yada ford is putting inferior fluids in our cars to cut corners and save money and we are better off going rogue and listening to "internet expert" vendors.

god forbid any of us put what is recommended in our owner's manual and on the engine cap!!!!! that would definitely be a very bad thing and screw us over!!! ahhhhhhhh..please internet expert save my car from it's inevitable damage from listening to what the manufacturer recommends!
1. We don't need the on here. We aren't looking to argue. Just giving our opinions and giving statements about what we've heard.

2. Since you're hating on everyone who tries to help on the forums, you can follow your manual to the letter. That's YOUR choice.

3. Answer me on this one. Ford puts 5w50 in the Shelby and Boss motors as the stock motor oil. My question is, why? It breaks down to a mid 30 grade after extended use. Why on Earth would they do that?

There's nothing wrong with putting a better quality oil in your motor. Not only does it improve on power but also fuel effiency. I'm sure you already knew this. Putting a FULL synthetic oil in your motor is not a bad thing in my mind at all. I'm not worried about warrenty as I'm a guy that mods extensively.

Let's just keep this civil please.
Old 9/27/11, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by BlackMamba03
Make sure it's a FULL synthetic.
Since it will be my first new car off the lot, it will definitely be babied like no tomorrow. It will probably end up with Amsoil in it if my buddy still has his source.
Old 9/27/11, 10:36 PM

3. Answer me on this one. Ford puts 5w50 in the Shelby and Boss motors as the stock motor oil. My question is, why? It breaks down to a mid 30 grade after extended use. Why on Earth would they do that?
It's because ford knows that people are going to use the Boss and Shelby for what it was intended to be used for... and it is going to catch abuse.

Ford also knows that their best selling sports car, the GT, will be bought by a huge number of different people. They know Missy Lou isnt going to be redlining the car while she is talking on her phone and getting the groceries, and papaw is gonna drive the car under the speed limit to the Friday night cruise in... then park it there for 5 hours. More people will have a bone stock GT at the end of the day than people with GT's that are modded out the ***. They get a huge kickback from the government Im sure for going with a "fuel economy" oil weight as well.

If you are going to be using the car for its performance aspects, it is ALWAYS wise to up the protection any way you can.

Last edited by Ehatcher; 9/27/11 at 10:39 PM.
Old 9/27/11, 10:40 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. We don't need the on here. We aren't looking to argue. Just giving our opinions and giving statements about what we've heard.

2. Since you're hating on everyone who tries to help on the forums, you can follow your manual to the letter. That's YOUR choice.

There's nothing wrong with putting a better quality oil in your motor. Not only does it improve on power but also fuel effiency. I'm sure you already knew this. Putting a FULL synthetic oil in your motor is not a bad thing in my mind at all. I'm not worried about warrenty as I'm a guy that mods extensively.

Let's just keep this civil please.
Enlighten me on how oil viscosities, brands, and full synthetics vs blends can improve both performance and gas mileage. Assuming you know the basic fundamentals of how an engine works.
Old 9/27/11, 10:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by kn7671
Thanks, but I think Ford will get to diagnose and troubleshoot my car while it's under warranty. If my car was out of warranty, I would probably just buy another transmission, but I truly think Ford would benefit from diagnosing a higher mileage transmission problem like mine, compared to all the one's that report shifting problems early on.
I sure hope you're right. My transmission was quite for 4500 miles. I had to take the car in twice to even get the dealership to acknowledge it made noise beyond what could be considered normal operation. Hotline said "normal."

I hope you have better luck than I.
Old 9/27/11, 10:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by texastboneking
Enlighten me on how oil viscosities, brands, and full synthetics vs blends can improve both performance and gas mileage. Assuming you know the basic fundamentals of how an engine works.

Not going to argue. Yes I understand how engines work. You should know that oil is the lifeblood of an engine. Why would an auto company put the best oil possible in a car that's being mass produced? Not cost effective.

As for what you asked in your post, I'll recommend you read through this. Before you open the link, I'll say that UnleashedBeast does have posts on the thread so if that's a problem for you then I don't know what to tell you. It's a long read but has good info.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...etic-oils.html
Old 9/27/11, 11:00 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Not going to argue. Yes I understand how engines work. You should know that oil is the lifeblood of an engine. Why would an auto company put the best oil possible in a car that's being mass produced? Not cost effective.

As for what you asked in your post, I'll recommend you read through this. Before you open the link, I'll say that UnleashedBeast does have posts on the thread so if that's a problem for you then I don't know what to tell you. It's a long read but has good info.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...etic-oils.html
Not trying to argue. I'm asking a simple question. Oil lubricates and keeps the lower end of the block cool. So how is it that gas mileage is improved as well as performance (assuming your meaning HP and torque) by a liquid that is only used to lubricate and cool. Not arguing. Trying to see your train of thought.
Old 9/27/11, 11:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well it's just that, the oil lubricates and cools....these better grade oils(let's not even talk about diff weights) have to ability to lubricate better, are better at disapting heat, have less tendency to burn off, etc. You could probably clean your teeth with water and soap, but tooth paste may do it a bit better. Look I'm not trying to start a I have just always been intrigued by people who take an automakers word as gospel. If everything the maker did was the way, then aftermarket would be kinda a waste right. Again I will stress, will you be ok with running 5/20 motor craft synthetic blend, yes.....but when the hp goes up, the temp goes up, and your looking for more protection your crazy if you think 5/20 is the only way. That's all.
Old 9/27/11, 11:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by mystickeith50
Well it's just that, the oil lubricates and cools....these better grade oils(let's not even talk about diff weights) have to ability to lubricate better, are better at disapting heat, have less tendency to burn off, etc. You could probably clean your teeth with water and soap, but tooth paste may do it a bit better. Look I'm not trying to start a I have just always been intrigued by people who take an automakers word as gospel. If everything the maker did was the way, then aftermarket would be kinda a waste right. Again I will stress, will you be ok with running 5/20 motor craft synthetic blend, yes.....but when the hp goes up, the temp goes up, and your looking for more protection your crazy if you think 5/20 is the only way. That's all.
Agreed. Better quality oil keeps your engine running cooler. I think we all agree when the HP/Torque numbers climb due to mods then keeping everything cool is a must. I don't want an oil that's going to degrade over time. I'm the kinda guy that drives my car so the oil is going to be cycled through the engine countless times. I want an oil that's going to stand up to the abuse. If people think that the Motorcraft 5w20 is that oil, well in MY opinion, they're wrong.
Old 9/28/11, 05:06 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Agreed. Better quality oil keeps your engine running cooler. I think we all agree when the HP/Torque numbers climb due to mods then keeping everything cool is a must. I don't want an oil that's going to degrade over time. I'm the kinda guy that drives my car so the oil is going to be cycled through the engine countless times. I want an oil that's going to stand up to the abuse. If people think that the Motorcraft 5w20 is that oil, well in MY opinion, they're wrong.
Both of you did not answer the question. I did not day there are not better lubricating oils that also cool better. And I never asked about the cleaning power.

I asked how it improves mileage and performance

I know there are better oils out there. I use mobile one full sythetic. My disagreement with you is that you said that it will improve mileage and power.

I'm the kind of person that will ask questions even though I know the answer. I know that oil will not improve HP torque and gas mileage. I try to get you to think so you can answer the questions and figure out the real reason. Now the reason you need a basic understanding on how the engine works is so you know what the oil is actually doing in the engine.
I'll give you a freebie.
Oils main design an purpose was and is to keep the bearing journals from making contact with the bearing surface. They are Soposed to (in a perfect world) never touch each other. The oils secondary function is cooling. Now there are plenty other things the oil does nowdays. For instance the oil pressure is used to control the vvt the new 5.0 has.

So with oils purpose in mind. You can see it is not able to improve power or mileage. But instead you can get oils that improve lubricity and cooling.

Last edited by texastboneking; 9/28/11 at 05:29 AM.
Old 9/28/11, 06:38 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mystickeith50
People like you really crack me up...unleashedbeast as well as many other venders out there (rp, amsoil) are on there and agree with him. The notion of ford offering the very best product, and telling us to do the right thing for performance and longevity purposes is a joke. Ford tells you to use the lighter oil because they save money in regs/fines for it period, end of story. Ford is not concerned about offering the very best in everything, they are interested in offering a product that is sufficent while maximizing there profit. These same engineers didn't put forged rods n pistons in our high revving 11:1 compression engines because it was gonna cost an extra 11 bucks an engine. 11 bucks!!!!!!! my point is, the things that these engineers are saying is not totally derived from performance all the time, but business most of the time. Sorta like our mt-82......

Originally Posted by cababah
you sound like a broken record..i've heard this a million times.

yada yada yada ford is putting inferior fluids in our cars to cut corners and save money and we are better off going rogue and listening to "internet expert" vendors.

god forbid any of us put what is recommended in our owner's manual and on the engine cap!!!!! that would definitely be a very bad thing and screw us over!!! ahhhhhhhh..please internet expert save my car from it's inevitable damage from listening to what the manufacturer recommends!

Ugh.. I hate to say it but Keith is right.

Ford's #1 priority is profit. That is their product...Ford exists only so long as it produces value for stakeholders. That's it.

Fortunately, capitalism often rewards the companies that produce good products but make no mistake, cars and trucks are a means to an end.

It's just the crappy reality.
Old 9/28/11, 06:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Both of you did not answer the question. I did not day there are not better lubricating oils that also cool better. And I never asked about the cleaning power.

I know there are better oils out there. I use mobile one full sythetic. My disagreement with you is that you said that it will improve mileage and power.

I'm the kind of person that will ask questions even though I know the answer. I know that oil will not improve HP torque and gas mileage. I try to get you to think so you can answer the questions and figure out the real reason. Now the reason you need a basic understanding on how the engine works is so you know what the oil is actually doing in the engine.
I'll give you a freebie.
Oils main design an purpose was and is to keep the bearing journals from making contact with the bearing surface. They are Soposed to (in a perfect world) never touch each other. The oils secondary function is cooling. Now there are plenty other things the oil does nowdays. For instance the oil pressure is used to control the vvt the new 5.0 has.

So with oils purpose in mind. You can see it is not able to improve power or mileage. But instead you can get oils that improve lubricity and cooling.

More power to the wheels is a benefit from improved lubricity. Why do people put roller rockers on small blocks? To cut friction. The less friction between the moving parts of the engine, the more work that engine can do turning the wheels.

It's similar to taking a/c, power steering, or the alternator off of a drag car. You're not necessarily increasing the hp of the engine, just using more of it to make the car move.

If the engine has less friction it will convert less kinetic energy into heat, if it is not using that energy to heat something up it will either go faster or burn less fuel...depending on your foot lol.

That's how.
Old 9/28/11, 06:53 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by blackgt87

More power to the wheels is a benefit from improved lubricity. Why do people put roller rockers on small blocks? To cut friction. The less friction between the moving parts of the engine, the more work that engine can do turning the wheels.

It's similar to taking a/c, power steering, or the alternator off of a drag car. You're not necessarily increasing the hp of the engine, just using more of it to make the car move.

If the engine has less friction it will convert less kinetic energy into heat, if it is not using that energy to heat something up it will either go faster or burn less fuel...depending on your foot lol.

That's how.
You don't understand. Motorcraft oil keeps the bearings from touching the journals. They can't touch. If they did it would be a mater of seconds before the bearing was destroyed. So motorcraft keeps it from touching. So does other oils. Other oils might have a higher lubricity than motorcraft, but motorcraft oil is plenty slick for your engine. Therefore you get the same results even though one is more slick than the other. For this to make any sense you have to have a very good understanding of the crank, rods, and bearings.

And if they did design an oil that could squeeze out HP because of its lubricity (slick 50) then you can expect to see less than a hp gain. And at that point your cylinder walls will be scored.
Old 9/28/11, 07:18 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I started hearing transmission whine today after I got to the parking garage at work. Now I'm hearing it even more and more.
Thanks, but I think Ford will get to diagnose and troubleshoot my car while it's under warranty.
Hi Kn7671,

I agree with you taking your vehicle in to your Ford dealer for diagnosis. Please private message me with your contact info, VIN, dealer, and mileage so I can escalate this to your Customer Service Manager in your zone. I’d like to see you out enjoying your ride to the fullest.

I would talk to daysha before taking it in. She makes every thing fast and smooth.
Keep daysha in mind. She is a great backup
Thank you for the kudos, texastboneking!

Deysha
Old 9/28/11, 07:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

You don't understand. Motorcraft oil keeps the bearings from touching the journals. They can't touch. If they did it would be a mater of seconds before the bearing was destroyed. So motorcraft keeps it from touching. So does other oils. Other oils might have a higher lubricity than motorcraft, but motorcraft oil is plenty slick for your engine. Therefore you get the same results even though one is more slick than the other. For this to make any sense you have to have a very good understanding of the crank, rods, and bearings.

And if they did design an oil that could squeeze out HP because of its lubricity (slick 50) then you can expect to see less than a hp gain. And at that point your cylinder walls will be scored.
Its called hydrodynamic lubrication, I learned all about it in fluid dynamics while getting my mechanical engineering degree. I understand exactly how the crank, rods, and bearings work. The rod bearings are supported on a layer of oil between them and the crank, I get that. But the interaction of the rods/mains isn't the only place in an engine that generates friction.

You'll notice I did not comment on the amount of hp/fuel mileage that one could gain, it may be miniscule. But that doesn't change the fact that if you reduce the internal friction in an engine (which better lubricity by definition would do) then you increase the power available to turn the wheels.

Think of it like this, if you take your floor mats out of your car its faster and gets better mileage. Is that statement true? Yes. It has to be. Could you appreciate the difference, or is it worth it? Not for me lol.

Saying oil that lubricates better will not improve power and mileage is wrong. Saying that you won't notice a difference in power/mileage, but you should run it because it lasts longer and cools better is more like it.
Old 9/28/11, 07:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ehatcher
It's because ford knows that people are going to use the Boss and Shelby for what it was intended to be used for... and it is going to catch abuse.

Ford also knows that their best selling sports car, the GT, will be bought by a huge number of different people. They know Missy Lou isnt going to be redlining the car while she is talking on her phone and getting the groceries, and papaw is gonna drive the car under the speed limit to the Friday night cruise in... then park it there for 5 hours. More people will have a bone stock GT at the end of the day than people with GT's that are modded out the ***. They get a huge kickback from the government Im sure for going with a "fuel economy" oil weight as well.

If you are going to be using the car for its performance aspects, it is ALWAYS wise to up the protection any way you can.
I agree completely.

I'll give you a freebie.

Going to a higher quality oil will not provide any noticeable HP or performance improvements. It can, however, provide immediate engine smoothness. Over time, using a higher quality oil can help reduce the wear and tear your engine will typically see just from the nature of an internal combustion engine. The less wear and tear, the more HP and performance your car will maintain over the long run. It will also keep better mileage #'s.
Old 9/28/11, 07:31 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by blackgt87

Its called hydrodynamic lubrication, I learned all about it in fluid dynamics while getting my mechanical engineering degree. I understand exactly how the crank, rods, and bearings work. The rod bearings are supported on a layer of oil between them and the crank, I get that. But the interaction of the rods/mains isn't the only place in an engine that generates friction.

You'll notice I did not comment on the amount of hp/fuel mileage that one could gain, it may be miniscule. But that doesn't change the fact that if you reduce the internal friction in an engine (which better lubricity by definition would do) then you increase the power available to turn the wheels.

Think of it like this, if you take your floor mats out of your car its faster and gets better mileage. Is that statement true? Yes. It has to be. Could you appreciate the difference, or is it worth it? Not for me lol.

Saying oil that lubricates better will not improve power and mileage is wrong. Saying that you won't notice a difference in power/mileage, but you should run it because it lasts longer and cools better is more like it.
Get your point. I tend to call minuscule amounts no gain. When you get 5hp or1 mpg more then I would call it a gain. But that's just me. Maybe the other guy is talking minuscule too . Glad to see you spend your time researching and not just talking .
Most ppl I talk to around here don't even know why they put gas in the gas tank. They just know it dissapears over time lol.

I take pride in my work as I'm sure you do too.
Old 9/28/11, 07:32 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by VTXFrank

I agree completely.

Going to a higher quality oil will not provide any noticeable HP or performance improvements. It can, however, provide immediate engine smoothness. Over time, using a higher quality oil can help reduce the wear and tear your engine will typically see just from the nature of an internal combustion engine. The less wear and tear, the more HP and performance your car will maintain over the long run. It will also keep better mileage #'s.
People in my area get an oil change and go "wow! My car is running so much better!". I just shake my head ...

Quick Reply: I had one of the good ones - MT82 Transmission Whining has begun...