Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Hood corrosion

Search this Thread

Old 2/28/17, 10:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by SplitSecond
Right. All a TSB is Ford telling the dealers how to deal with an issue if a customer has a complaint. It is not a recall where Ford will pay for it.
All true. However, it at least shows the problem is fairly widespread and kills the argument I've seen a lot of guys say they ran into of "this is a unique problem."
Old 2/28/17, 10:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
My 2006 has a small spot on the passenger side under the lip. The paint had a small crack in it so I tried to seal it with touch-up paint I have. The spot is spreading ever so slowly.
Old 3/1/17, 05:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by GrnT
My 2006 has a small spot on the passenger side under the lip. The paint had a small crack in it so I tried to seal it with touch-up paint I have. The spot is spreading ever so slowly.

http://avstop.com/ac/apgeneral/corro...numalloys.html

http://www.aviationpros.com/article/...ting-corrosion

Fighting corrosion
Once corrosion has been detected, treatment is a must. In some cases, the damage is superficial enough to be removed, and then for the repaired area to be protected with anti-corrosion products. In others, corroded components may have to be removed and replaced.
Traditionally, technicians have employed wax, oil, and paint in such areas; treatments that are both messy and have to be removed before future inspections can be done. In contrast, newer products such as NO COR are clean, transparent, and do not have to be removed for further inspections. Other anti-corrosion products of note include Corrosion Technologies’ CorrosionX Aviation spray penetrant, which can be sprayed over existing corrosion to displace moisture and prevent the further migration of electrons; and Granitize Aviation’s Xzilon 3AECI Aircraft Exterior Corrosion Inhibitor, which prevents oxidation on exterior paint and bright work.
Old 8/24/17, 07:29 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 88lx50
They won't cover it if it is out of the original bumper to bumper warranty, regardless of a TSB.
Bumping an old thread, I know, but this is such BS...

The current Ford Warranty Guide even explicitly states aluminum corrosion is covered for 5 years:

Originally Posted by Page 11, 2016 Ford Warranty Guide
If aluminum body panels have corrosion or rust damage, and the damage is not the result of abnormal usage, vehicle accident, customer actions and/or extreme environmental conditions, the corrosion or rust damage repairs are covered for 5 years, unlimited miles.
I get the Ford can change their warranty terms over time, but it's pretty clear that they intended for aluminum panel corrosion to be included in the 5-year corrosion coverage, not just the 3-year BtB coverage. All these cars, up to and including 2016s are subject to the same problem, referenced in the same TSB (16-0028). Logically, the warranty coverage should be fair and equal too.

I'm going to bring it up again at my dealer next week when I go in for the airbag recall. I don't expect to get any satisfaction though, they've been completely unhelpful on this issue so far. It's entirely disappointing; the front of my <60k Mustang looks like a 12-year old Hyundai hooptie, AND it's all because of a known and acknowledged material/manufacturing defect, but Ford still won't stand behind their **** and do what's right.
Old 8/24/17, 11:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by SennaF1
Bumping an old thread, I know, but this is such BS...

The current Ford Warranty Guide even explicitly states aluminum corrosion is covered for 5 years:

I get the Ford can change their warranty terms over time, but it's pretty clear that they intended for aluminum panel corrosion to be included in the 5-year corrosion coverage, not just the 3-year BtB coverage. All these cars, up to and including 2016s are subject to the same problem, referenced in the same TSB (16-0028). Logically, the warranty coverage should be fair and equal too.

I'm going to bring it up again at my dealer next week when I go in for the airbag recall. I don't expect to get any satisfaction though, they've been completely unhelpful on this issue so far. It's entirely disappointing; the front of my <60k Mustang looks like a 12-year old Hyundai hooptie, AND it's all because of a known and acknowledged material/manufacturing defect, but Ford still won't stand behind their **** and do what's right.
2014 and earlier cars don't have that specific language you posted from your 2016, so I think it may be an entirely different situation for you...
Old 8/25/17, 09:21 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by kylerohde
2014 and earlier cars don't have that specific language you posted from your 2016, so I think it may be an entirely different situation for you...
Oh believe me, I know. Just to clarify; I own a 2013, and my dealer's been telling me it's not covered for a year now, ever since I noticed it.

I just think it's sad that Ford knows this is a problem, to the point of issuing a TSB and adding language to their warranty SPECIFICALLY addressing the fault, all while their dealers weasel out of covering it.

The new warranty makes it pretty **** clear Ford intended the fault be covered by the corrosion warranty. The dealers just didn't/won't do it.
Old 8/25/17, 05:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by SennaF1
Oh believe me, I know. Just to clarify; I own a 2013, and my dealer's been telling me it's not covered for a year now, ever since I noticed it.

I just think it's sad that Ford knows this is a problem, to the point of issuing a TSB and adding language to their warranty SPECIFICALLY addressing the fault, all while their dealers weasel out of covering it.

The new warranty makes it pretty **** clear Ford intended the fault be covered by the corrosion warranty. The dealers just didn't/won't do it.
Well, to be fair to the dealer, Ford's not going to reimburse them for the repair if it's on a 2013 but submitted under 2016 warranty language. I was able to talk my dealer into splitting the cost 50/50 with me but still ended up buying a pre-painted hood from Cervini instead. But yeah, the fact that Ford has had this problem since 2005 on Mustangs and 2003 on Expedition tailgates is pretty unbelievable.
Old 3/11/18, 12:36 PM
JG1
V6 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I just noticed the edge of my hood starting to bubble. I guess I'm ****ed because I have a 2012 GT and it's out of warranty.

Bull****.
Old 3/12/18, 09:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by JG1
I just noticed the edge of my hood starting to bubble. I guess I'm ****ed because I have a 2012 GT and it's out of warranty.

Bull****.
It does suck but just think of it as motivation to get an aftermarket hood that will give you a new look. Can't recommend Cervinis enough - mine is 2 years old now and has been through two winters and 30k miles of driving with zero problems..
The following users liked this post:
GKosovan (5/12/19)
Old 3/12/18, 09:17 AM
JG1
V6 Member

I live 30 minutes away from cervini. I wonder if they do installs there.
Old 3/12/18, 09:38 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Waiting for my new hood to arrive. Last fall the hood bubbles starting forming on the front of the hood. I'd rather spend money on mods that make me go faster, but I can't live with a hood that will looks like crap.
Old 3/12/18, 05:38 PM
JG1
V6 Member

Well I took a ride over to Cervini's and purchased a new prepainted hood. It'll be ready in about 5 weeks. They are going to install it for me.
Old 3/12/18, 07:35 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by JG1
Well I took a ride over to Cervini's and purchased a new prepainted hood. It'll be ready in about 5 weeks. They are going to install it for me.
Check it carefully for alignment, fit and finish.
Even Cervini's uses humans for installation and paint.
Old 3/13/18, 09:09 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Thanks for the info on this TSB.......my 2011 has it and did not know about the bulletin!
Old 3/13/18, 10:04 AM
JG1
V6 Member

Originally Posted by karman
Check it carefully for alignment, fit and finish.
Even Cervini's uses humans for installation and paint.
Definitely!

I was impressed with their facility. It's beautiful. I took a walk through and saw where they are made, painted and stored.
Old 3/13/18, 10:23 AM
JG1
V6 Member

Is there any reason to keep my stock hood or should I just trash it?
Old 3/14/18, 02:47 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by JG1
I hung mine up in the garage as wall art
Old 3/18/18, 07:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by JG1
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
I hung mine up in the garage as wall art
I kept mine too mostly because I didn't know how to get rid of it lol
Old 3/19/18, 06:39 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
I'm going to try and sell my hood once I install the new one. I'll be perfectly honest on the ad and to the buyer. Someone will buy it.
Old 3/19/18, 08:00 AM
JG1
V6 Member

What do you think you'll ask for it?

Quick Reply: Hood corrosion