The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   Repair and Service Help (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f804/)
-   -   Hood corrosion (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f804/hood-corrosion-542300/)

DrVet 8/11/16 12:47 AM

Hood corrosion

Have a 2014 convertible. I've read many posts about the hood corrosion issues. So far I don't see it on mine. Is it a foregone conclusion that all hoods will be affected? Or do some escape the issue?

Allen

SpectreH 8/11/16 05:22 AM

Most escape the issue. I bought my '13 GT convertible in July 2012. So far, so good. (knock on wood)

kylerohde 8/11/16 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by DrVet (Post 6992603)
Have a 2014 convertible. I've read many posts about the hood corrosion issues. So far I don't see it on mine. Is it a foregone conclusion that all hoods will be affected? Or do some escape the issue?

Allen

That's a tough question to answer. There's a ton of anecdotal evidence on here that most of the cars have it, but it clearly wasn't a big enough problem overall for Ford to ever issue a TSB, a recall or change their process anytime during the 10 model years it's an issue (05-14).

All I can say is, check your car over meticulously before you hit the 3/36 warranty expiration. Ford will take care of it until that point and, after that, you're in for a pain in the butt fight that you'll likely lose.

Getportfolio 8/11/16 10:34 AM

My 11 didn't have it but 12 did. Hit or miss.

DrVet 8/14/16 10:16 PM

Just checked my hood and trunk lid closely. No issues yet.

Allen

Dean Martin 8/16/16 12:12 PM

I'm two for two on an '05 and '12 both having it.

mfc133 8/19/16 09:41 AM

There is a TSB now, it includes every Mustang built since 2005 plus many other Fords:
TSB 16-0028

esir_spd 8/19/16 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by mfc133 (Post 6993604)
There is a TSB now, it includes every Mustang built since 2005 plus many other Fords:
TSB 16-0028

Well that's nice of Ford, a simple fix...:rolleyes:

mfc133 8/19/16 12:04 PM

Ford had been replacing the hoods outright (mine was replaced along with some other forum members), but now it looks like they're only repairing the existing panel.

esir_spd 8/19/16 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by mfc133 (Post 6993617)
Ford had been replacing the hoods outright (mine was replaced along with some other forum members), but now it looks like they're only repairing the existing panel.

I'm assuming that it will cost us if we are out of warranty though.

kylerohde 8/19/16 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by mfc133
TSB 16-0028

Wow. Finally.

Originally Posted by esir_spd
I'm assuming that it will cost us if we are out of warranty though.

Not sure...I'm curious how this affects the way they deal with it though.

Originally Posted by mfc133

The body shop manager at my Ford dealer was adamant that an affected hood can't be repaired permanently. He would only guarantee that a new hood could be painted to avoid the problem ever happening again.

berzerk_1980 8/19/16 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by kylerohde
Wow. Finally.Not sure...I'm curious how this affects the way they deal with it though.The body shop manager at my Ford dealer was adamant that an affected hood can't be repaired permanently. He would only guarantee that a new hood could be painted to avoid the problem ever happening again.

Yeah, this is interesting and overwhelmingly what's being reported. However, both body shops I have used (for other repairs) insist that this is repairable by redoing the seam sealer.

One of the repairs included work to the hood. I mentioned the hood corrosion issue before they started work and they told me their work has a lifetime guarantee so don't worry about it. If it happens they'll redo the work.

Presuming they're good on their promise, the assurance is good enough for me... It's not that big a hassle.

kylerohde 8/20/16 04:28 PM

Hey moderators, I think this one is worth sticking at the top of the page - there's been so many posts about this problem over the years and this TSB is the first official acknowledgement from Ford that there is indeed a problem. Lots of guys should have new ammo to use with their dealers and with Ford now. Just wish it'd come out before I replaced my hood completely with an aftermarket one, though it was free thanks to insurance (unrelated hail damage claim).

VidPro 8/25/16 08:12 AM

My hood was repaired by a dealer shortly after I bought my 2014. No return and looks great. It's been about two years or so.

oldnjguy 9/1/16 07:33 AM

Thank You for this information. Just saw a small area on front hood lip.

13GetThere 10/6/16 08:04 AM

I too found a small area on the lip of my hood. I'm waiting to hear back from Ford.

3point7 10/6/16 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by kylerohde (Post 6992630)
That's a tough question to answer. There's a ton of anecdotal evidence on here that most of the cars have it, but it clearly wasn't a big enough problem overall for Ford to ever issue a TSB, a recall or change their process anytime during the 10 model years it's an issue (05-14).

I'm afraid that's incorrect my friend. TSB 16-0028

They have even gone ahead and included the 2016 Mustang because apparently they have just resigned themselves to the fact that they can't figure out how to assemble a car with aluminum body panels correctly.

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/...dPdf?id=193285

kylerohde 10/6/16 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by 3point7
I'm afraid that's incorrect my friend. TSB 16-0028

They have even gone ahead and included the 2016 Mustang because apparently they have just resigned themselves to the fact that they can't figure out how to assemble a car with aluminum body panels correctly.

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/...dPdf?id=193285

****. 2015-16 F-150 too.

3point7 10/6/16 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by kylerohde (Post 6998032)
****. 2015-16 F-150 too.

Yep. I was skeptical about the all aluminum F150 from the beginning because you have an aluminum body with a steel frame and what causes the corrosion is dissimilar metals, i.e. steel and aluminum. So at some point the body has to be mounted on the frame and they have to use steel bolts I would assume. I can't imagine how they are going to avoid corrosion on that truck and given the Ford track record with aluminum panel corrosion I would think it's a forgone conclusion that the things are going to corrode.

13GetThere 10/7/16 09:19 AM

How much does a GT hood weigh?