Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Front hood paint issues.

Search this Thread

Old 10/23/14, 12:17 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedwagon
It appears that my paint is not affected.. but I only have 3662 miles on my pony. So.. we shall see.
Good, Speedwagon! I’m here if you need me.

Deysha
Old 10/24/14, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FordService
Let me review this for you, Caper. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Great! Thank you for the update, mustang8918!

Have you tried going by there, AllStar973?

Deysha
Deysha,

Thank you again for trying to help on this matter, but here's whats going on so far.

Ive gone to the dealer only to be turned away several times, Ive gotten nothing but talked in circles for the past 12 days . Ford has apparently denied my warranty ,which the pictures that were submitted clearly show NUMEROUS corrosion bubbles underneath my hood and spreading towards the top now. My warranty is almost up for expiration and my hood has been repaired once by the dealership only 7 months ago . The bodyshop admitted they should have replaced the hood , and now they arent warranting their work which I see is for 2yrs/unlimited mileage . They said corrosion cannot be covered under warranty. I refuse to believe that ANYTHING cannot be done due to the fact that the hood should have been replaced in the first place.. Why wouldnt that be covered under their warranty?? its a repair that should have been done right the first time. Im currently waiting for the body shop manager to get a hold of me on this issue. This has been an extremely aggravating process that is not logical at all. How does all this go un-noticed?? a warranty on a paint / body repair should be honored
Old 10/24/14, 03:55 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by AllStar973
Deysha, Thank you again for trying to help on this matter, but here's whats going on so far. Ive gone to the dealer only to be turned away several times, Ive gotten nothing but talked in circles for the past 12 days . Ford has apparently denied my warranty ,which the pictures that were submitted clearly show NUMEROUS corrosion bubbles underneath my hood and spreading towards the top now. My warranty is almost up for expiration and my hood has been repaired once by the dealership only 7 months ago . The bodyshop admitted they should have replaced the hood , and now they arent warranting their work which I see is for 2yrs/unlimited mileage . They said corrosion cannot be covered under warranty. I refuse to believe that ANYTHING cannot be done due to the fact that the hood should have been replaced in the first place.. Why wouldnt that be covered under their warranty?? its a repair that should have been done right the first time. Im currently waiting for the body shop manager to get a hold of me on this issue. This has been an extremely aggravating process that is not logical at all. How does all this go un-noticed?? a warranty on a paint / body repair should be honored
I actually went through the same thing this week. The body shop repainted my inside hood but offered no guarantee on the body work. I asked what would happen if the hood corrosion was to return and the warranty manager told me it would be fixed as long as it stayed within the warranty of 3 years.

Knowing d@mn well that it will take about 2 years to return, he rudely made a comment that WHEN it DOES return, it will no longer be his or Fords problem.

( He knew I had a year of warranty left.)

He confirmed what everyone here is saying about the hood needs to be replaced not repaired!
Old 10/24/14, 11:42 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
Deysha,

Thank you again for trying to help on this matter, but here's whats going on so far.

Ive gone to the dealer only to be turned away several times, Ive gotten nothing but talked in circles for the past 12 days . Ford has apparently denied my warranty ,which the pictures that were submitted clearly show NUMEROUS corrosion bubbles underneath my hood and spreading towards the top now. My warranty is almost up for expiration and my hood has been repaired once by the dealership only 7 months ago . The bodyshop admitted they should have replaced the hood , and now they arent warranting their work which I see is for 2yrs/unlimited mileage . They said corrosion cannot be covered under warranty. I refuse to believe that ANYTHING cannot be done due to the fact that the hood should have been replaced in the first place.. Why wouldnt that be covered under their warranty?? its a repair that should have been done right the first time. Im currently waiting for the body shop manager to get a hold of me on this issue. This has been an extremely aggravating process that is not logical at all. How does all this go un-noticed?? a warranty on a paint / body repair should be honored
i think the problem is the folks at ford looking at the pics- they tell the dealer to either repair/replace/deny...really truly unfair to the dealers, as ford knows if theres corrosion under the hem(always is) that any repairs cant last...it will creep back out, likely before a bodyshops 2 yr warranty, then ford is off the hook, forcing dealers and customers to duke it out over Fords originally flawed process... I doubt even replacing the hood is a sure thing- but a bodyshop will clear the basecoat, where ford cheaped out and left the underhood non-cleared.. the clear is thicker than the basecoat, so a cleaned/based/cleared new hood should last better than any original hood, just due to heavier film of paint and a properly cleaned surface.

Deysha has been great at keeping dealers in line, getting owners a little help when a dealer dont want to fix these hoods, but still... the problem still lies with ford...if the hem has been corroded, they ought to just replace the hood... truth be told, i bet FORDS cost on these hoods is less than a couple hours prep/repair, and most agree, any corrosion under the hem will always return eventually
Old 10/25/14, 08:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Getportfolio
I actually went through the same thing this week. The body shop repainted my inside hood but offered no guarantee on the body work. I asked what would happen if the hood corrosion was to return and the warranty manager told me it would be fixed as long as it stayed within the warranty of 3 years.

Knowing d@mn well that it will take about 2 years to return, he rudely made a comment that WHEN it DOES return, it will no longer be his or Fords problem.

( He knew I had a year of warranty left.)

He confirmed what everyone here is saying about the hood needs to be replaced not repaired!
I think a replacement would probably have the same flaws in it. Eventually, we would be stuck replacing with an aftermarket hood. I already looked into it, and the fiberglass replacements are about 40 lbs. compared to the 20 lbs. of the stock hood. Worse, is that all the aftermarket hoods are made to look different. There are no stock replacements besides one made by VMP, which needs hood pins because it is constructed to be light weight. I am not installing hood pins on my car.
Old 10/25/14, 07:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yesterday I took a look under the hood of my fiancee's 2007 GT that only has 16,700 miles on it and is never driven in the rain and is under a enclosed carport and sure enough, there are three pretty large areas that are bubbled up near the lip on the front of the hood. Her car is way out of warranty so at some point I'm sure she will have to get it repaired. It sucks that Ford can't get the process for painting aluminum down pat. I hate to see what happens with the mostly aluminum 15 F150. That will be a nightmare waiting to happen.

Wayne
Old 10/27/14, 07:16 AM

This is most definitely my last Ford product, and it sucks because i passed on a new Camaro due to the fact that In my own opinion the Mustang offered a better overall package dollar for dollar.. Mechanically Ive had no issues w/ the car but this is just ridiculous.. Now im likely Going to have to go aftermarket hood route which is basically me paying for FORD's mistake
Old 10/27/14, 08:58 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Deysha,

Thank you again for trying to help on this matter, but here's whats going on so far. ...
Thanks for the update, AllStar973. As I mentioned before, this will need to be appealed by your service manager. Just let me know if they do.

Deysha
Old 10/29/14, 06:08 PM

Took my car in Monday and got it back today. They took care of the bubbles along the driver side of the hood but missed the extra large one at the front of the hood, so it goes back next Monday to try again. Unfortunately this dealership does not have a paint booth so they have to send vehicles elsewhere for painting.
Old 11/1/14, 09:41 AM

This is most definitely my last Ford product, and it sucks because i passed on a new Camaro due to the fact that In my own opinion the Mustang offered a better overall package dollar for dollar.. Mechanically Ive had no issues w/ the car but this is just ridiculous.. Now im likely Going to have to go aftermarket hood route which is basically me paying for FORD's mistake
Cold, rainy, miserable day in NJ. Going shopping for a Camaro today, my hope is that with it being so miserable outside no one will look too closely at my 2010 Mustang Conv. trade in. Going to drive through some mud puddles hoping it covers the horrible paint on the hood.

Unfortunately, I've tried this before with no luck, but today may be the day I finally get rid of the POS.
Old 11/1/14, 05:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by luap1376
Cold, rainy, miserable day in NJ. Going shopping for a Camaro today, my hope is that with it being so miserable outside no one will look too closely at my 2010 Mustang Conv. trade in. Going to drive through some mud puddles hoping it covers the horrible paint on the hood.

Unfortunately, I've tried this before with no luck, but today may be the day I finally get rid of the POS.
Did you get one? Like Allstar973, I'm pissed that I passed up the camaro for the mustang. The mustang has been nothing shy of a freaking lemon and ford as well as my dealer are awful to work with.

I will not own this car out of the basic warranty, period.
Old 11/2/14, 08:43 AM

Not yet, still negotiating. Trying to package my Excursion for Silverado as well. Doing some research on Silverado towing today. Seems as if all "used car buyers" at dealerships know to look at the hood first on Mustangs coming in for trade. I'm done with Ford!

Still killing me on the trade-in, but I think I might just take the 3K hit just to get rid of it. Tired of being disgusted by it. It will cost me 2-3K to replace hood and repaint anyway, and silver is hard to match. I keep trying to convince them to put my 2010 Mustang on the showroom floor for all to see, what better way to sell tons of Camaro's.

I always preferred the Camaro over the Mustang before I purchased my 2010 Mustang. I was being cheap when I bought the Mustang, figured I'd save the 3-5K.
Old 11/2/14, 08:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Just have the hood repainted. It should cost about 500-600 bucks to strip and paint.
Old 11/3/14, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by 88lx50
Just have the hood repainted. It should cost about 500-600 bucks to strip and paint.
A repaint of the existing hood for that price range would be nothing but a short term patch. Maybe it would last a year or so before having the same issue again.

The action of doing a half-a**ed repaint of the hood so it can be passed onto another unknowing consumer is something I'd rather not do. Isn't that what FORD is already doing?
Old 11/3/14, 08:08 PM
Bullitt Member

A repaint of the existing hood for that price range would be nothing but a short term patch. Maybe it would last a year or so before having the same issue again.

The action of doing a half-a**ed repaint of the hood so it can be passed onto another unknowing consumer is something I'd rather not do. Isn't that what FORD is already doing?
I honestly think if it is done right it will be OK. If you buy a new Ford hood, produced IN THE SAME STAMPING SHOP, there is a good chance it will happen again. Regardless of some of the things I have read, I think it was bad prep on Ford's part. It happens on the hoods and the deck lids. The deck lids are made of steel. So I don't think it has anything to do with a poor aluminum prep process.
Besides, your way of thinking, you are going to trade the car in, get beat up on the price because of the hood, and the dealer is going to just repaint the hood anyway. It is still getting passed along to a consumer with a repainted hood and YOU are taking the loss.
Old 11/4/14, 05:36 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Besides, your way of thinking, you are going to trade the car in, get beat up on the price because of the hood, and the dealer is going to just repaint the hood anyway. It is still getting passed along to a consumer with a repainted hood and YOU are taking the loss.
True.
Old 11/4/14, 05:29 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
Not yet, still negotiating. Trying to package my Excursion for Silverado as well. Doing some research on Silverado towing today. Seems as if all "used car buyers" at dealerships know to look at the hood first on Mustangs coming in for trade. I'm done with Ford!

Still killing me on the trade-in, but I think I might just take the 3K hit just to get rid of it. Tired of being disgusted by it. It will cost me 2-3K to replace hood and repaint anyway, and silver is hard to match. I keep trying to convince them to put my 2010 Mustang on the showroom floor for all to see, what better way to sell tons of Camaro's.

I always preferred the Camaro over the Mustang before I purchased my 2010 Mustang. I was being cheap when I bought the Mustang, figured I'd save the 3-5K.
I bought my fang shaker from aeroform.com, without the engine cover hardware it was about 900 bucks(had to make some stuff to mount the scoop to the hood- functional, but dont shake, leaves room for blower someday) paint materials was 350-ish, a couple evenings... the fiberglass hoods are heavy, but at least they wont corrode
Old 11/5/14, 04:31 PM

I honestly think if it is done right it will be OK. If you buy a new Ford hood, produced IN THE SAME STAMPING SHOP, there is a good chance it will happen again. Regardless of some of the things I have read, I think it was bad prep on Ford's part. It happens on the hoods and the deck lids. The deck lids are made of steel. So I don't think it has anything to do with a poor aluminum prep process.
I already lost my money when I purchased the Mustang with defective "paint/prep/can't paint aluminum" that has been a known issue for 10+ years. If a dealer wants to repaint and pass it onto another consumer that is their decision. It is a decision I am not comfortable making and have chosen not to do.

I concentrate my efforts on making more people aware of the issue so they can make an informed decision when deciding on whether to purchase a Mustang. If they already own a Mustang, I make sure they are aware of the issue. If your in a parking lot in NJ and some strange guy comes up and says "pop the hood" it's me, and I'm NOT looking at your engine.

Unless I get a reasonable offer from a dealer on a Camaro, I will wait until the legal process has run it's course before deciding on a solution. At that point I hope to be spending money for the repair that I did not work hard to make.
Old 11/5/14, 04:41 PM

I don't quite understand why you are so angry, it isn't exactly Fords problem or fault the paint bubbled, it could of been or could of been bad paint (happens often) or bad prep and so on, every company has these problems so trading companies because of paint isn't exactly a useful use of the thought process just because of the fact your taking a loss because of paint, why not spend a little and paint your hood and make it look nice instead of loose much more money on selling/trading your car and buying another. Unless you are using this as an excuse to bash Ford and to get a new car... I hate to be a d*ck but geez
Old 11/5/14, 05:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 65stang408stroker
I don't quite understand why you are so angry, it isn't exactly Fords problem or fault the paint bubbled, it could of been or could of been bad paint (happens often) or bad prep and so on, every company has these problems so trading companies because of paint isn't exactly a useful use of the thought process just because of the fact your taking a loss because of paint, why not spend a little and paint your hood and make it look nice instead of loose much more money on selling/trading your car and buying another. Unless you are using this as an excuse to bash Ford and to get a new car... I hate to be a d*ck but geez
Ford has been painting cars for a whole long time now. They should be able to do it right the first time. And if they DON'T, they should sure as hell FIX it without squabbling about it. After all, 'Quality is Job One'. At least that's what they used to say. And don't say it could've been bad paint, because Ford buys enough paint that somebody oughta **** well be making sure it's NOT bad.

Quick Reply: Front hood paint issues.