Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

front AC CONDENSING COIL

Search this Thread

Old 6/25/13, 08:11 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
front AC CONDENSING COIL

I have a 2012 GT I got about 1 year ago new, it has about 30,000 miles on it!! Today I was driving home from work, 96* and very muggy, my A/c stopped blowing cool air all at once!! When I stopped I checked it and I noticed that on the AC front coils most of the Finns are flattened out!! Like I guess all road debris, bugs and rain from highway driving has hit them and flatten them except where the trim comes down and covers the coil that supports the chin spoiler!!
It's in the shop now, but would this stop it from blowing cold air. And would this be covered by my warranty? The way I see it it's a poor design do to its wide open with no protection to anything that's in the air at that Hight !! So will my warranty covers this if its the problem!! Thanks for any help!!!
Old 6/25/13, 09:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Physical damage from debris wont be covered under warranty. The flattened coils could be causing the condenser to be running inefficiently.

Ford Service Reps might be in on this.
Old 6/26/13, 05:11 PM

My AC did the same thing last week, it was cool then just stopped blowing cool and went neutral and then warm (outside ambient was 89 degrees f). In the shop now, I had 38, 500 miles on the clock on my 2011 Mustang GT and they have replaced overpressure valve, compressor and clutch, and are still working on it. Thus far the bill is over $1100.00!! I have seen other discussions here where similar things are happening at and before 40k miles. Ford really should honor a warranty this side of 40k on something this strategic.
Old 6/26/13, 05:18 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lol at this thread.....

If it stopped all of a sudden.. do you think the condenser coils flattened all of a sudden? Its not like your ac goes "well 50% of the coils are flat. Time to shut off!"

And dude with the 1100 bill.. you took it to a bad shop.. if they are throwing parts at it like that then you need to get the hell out of there..
Old 6/26/13, 06:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
It technically could stop all of a sudden if the flattened out fins caused the high side pressure to get too high and trip the pressure switch turning off the compressor... Unlikely... But still possible...
Old 6/26/13, 09:01 PM
V6 Member

Well it turned out to be the AC COMPRESSOR, it went out! At least it's covered by my warranty !! Thank god!! Still don't know how the fins got bent over like they did!! I hand wash it , never had a high pressure hose touch my car! And when it went out I never heard anything hit the car!! So not sure how they got bent like they did!! So I guess I need to find a good looking grill to go on to protect them!! Thanks for the help!! Just glad it's covered under my warranty!!!!

Last edited by Tominkc; 6/26/13 at 09:04 PM.
Old 6/26/13, 09:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This is what the unprotected A/C condenser on my 2009 GT/SC looked like a month after a high-speed trip through West Texas and nearby states. No telling how many of those monsters shriveled up and blew away during that month. You can see they did do some flattening. As soon as I saw their effect I bought the Silverhorse racing lower grill insert. Easy installation, and I expected it to at least reduce the size of a certain percentage of the wildlife headed toward those fragile fins. I don't know if SHR has a similar item for later-model Mustangs.

This is one of the main offenders, the Texas Lubber (it's not my thumb).

Old 6/26/13, 09:57 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 14Glassback
It technically could stop all of a sudden if the flattened out fins caused the high side pressure to get too high and trip the pressure switch turning off the compressor... Unlikely... But still possible...
Yeah.... but it would kick back on.. getting cold again
Old 6/26/13, 10:15 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 14Glassback
Almost impossible. Unless you dropped a cinder block on it.
Old 6/27/13, 07:19 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Tominkc
I have a 2012 GT I got about 1 year ago new, it has about 30,000 miles on it!! Today I was driving home from work, 96* and very muggy, my A/c stopped blowing cool air all at once!! When I stopped I checked it and I noticed that on the AC front coils most of the Finns are flattened out!! Like I guess all road debris, bugs and rain from highway driving has hit them and flatten them except where the trim comes down and covers the coil that supports the chin spoiler!!
It's in the shop now, but would this stop it from blowing cold air.
Originally Posted by Tominkc
Well it turned out to be the AC COMPRESSOR, it went out! At least it's covered by my warranty !! Thank God!!
Glad to know this was taken care of for you, Tominkc!

Originally Posted by Rocketturtle
My AC did the same thing last week, it was cool then just stopped blowing cool and went neutral and then warm (outside ambient was 89 degrees f). In the shop now, I had 38, 500 miles on the clock on my 2011 Mustang GT and they have replaced overpressure valve, compressor and clutch, and are still working on it. Thus far the bill is over $1100.00!! I have seen other discussions here where similar things are happening at and before 40k miles. Ford really should honor a warranty this side of 40k on something this strategic.
Do you have any extended service plans, Rocketturle? You should also speak to your Service Manager. He’s in the best position to look into any assistance, recalls, or customer satisfaction programs available.

Deysha
Old 6/29/13, 08:09 PM
V6 Member

Well my car is running great.. AC BLOWING COLD air once again!! Thank god!! Plus got new Goodyear eagle Gt ZR tires on my car and love them! Great traction