Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Extreme Rough Idle Once on 2011 5.0?

Search this Thread

Old 7/11/11, 09:29 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extreme Rough Idle Once on 2011 5.0?

Saturday I started the car, backed it out of the garage and washed it. When done I started it using the one-click as usual but inadvertantly lifted the clutch a bit so the start aborted prematurely. When I started it again, it ran around 1500 RPM, incredibly rough, with tons of smoke pouring out. I turned it off and started it again and once it cleared out the fuel it ran fine and continues to run normal today.

Could this have been a glitch in the PCM triggered by inadvertantly lifting the clutch a bit during the start? I've done that before and never had a problem. Would there be a code stored that the dealer could find and is it worth bringing it in?

Last edited by rhans; 7/11/11 at 09:30 AM.
Old 7/11/11, 10:12 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds like a non issue to me. It is like flooding the old cars. I would keep driving unless it happens more often.
Old 7/11/11, 10:13 AM
Bullitt Member

It's very possible that when you aborted the start prematurely, the necessary fuel to start the vehicle was still injected. This would cause a flood-like situation on the next startup, which is why you saw smoke and a high idle. This is the engine/ECU's way of 'clearing itself out', basically. Surely this is nothing to worry about, but if you are in doubt, stop by the dealership so that they can look it over and reassure you.
Old 7/11/11, 10:39 AM
V6 Member

Thanks, the flooding analogy makes a great deal of sense. It is surprising just how much smoke came out when this happened for how little time it was cranking. Also, I have screwed up with the clutch on starting in the past and nothing happened. From now on I will make certain that the clutch is really all the way down when starting!
Old 7/12/11, 07:24 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by rhans
Saturday I started the car, backed it out of the garage and washed it. When done I started it using the one-click as usual but inadvertantly lifted the clutch a bit so the start aborted prematurely. When I started it again, it ran around 1500 RPM, incredibly rough, with tons of smoke pouring out. I turned it off and started it again and once it cleared out the fuel it ran fine and continues to run normal today.

Could this have been a glitch in the PCM triggered by inadvertantly lifting the clutch a bit during the start? I've done that before and never had a problem. Would there be a code stored that the dealer could find and is it worth bringing it in?
Hello rhans,

My name is Deysha from Ford Customer Service. I still recommend you consult this with your Ford dealer and if needed bring it in for diagnosis. If you need any further assistance, please do not hesitate to message me with your contact info, VIN, mileage, and dealer.

Deysha
Old 10/21/12, 07:03 PM
GT Member

Reviving this from the dead.. Same thing just happened to me today with the premature abortion and then rough idle. Tons of thick white smoke poured out, and when i hit the gas it died. Let it sit for a minute, it fired up and drove away fine. I just bought my 12 5.0 and it has 25k miles. Should i bring it in or see if it happens again?
Old 10/21/12, 07:06 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Check the oil.
Old 10/21/12, 07:38 PM
GT Member

For???? Like the level? Look for antifreeze? What?
Old 10/21/12, 07:54 PM

White smoke and rough starts may be caused by low oil levels. You may need to add a quart. Even the 6ers burn up a quart now and then.
Old 10/21/12, 08:29 PM
GT Member

Will check first thing in the morning. Thanks!
Old 10/21/12, 09:23 PM

If the oil isn't low then I'm pretty sure you're burning antifreeze. Check the resivoir for leaks. After that, I'm out of ideas.
Old 10/22/12, 03:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Hello rhans,

My name is Deysha from Ford Customer Service. I still recommend you consult this with your Ford dealer and if needed bring it in for diagnosis. If you need any further assistance, please do not hesitate to message me with your contact info, VIN, mileage, and dealer.

Deysha
I'd sure as hell take it in after seeing Deysha post this, because it makes me think she's seen this problem before. Because she knows as well as WE do that unless something threw a code, the dealer is going to say they can't duplicate the problem and it'll be a huge waste of time.
Old 10/22/12, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by wannabe
I'd sure as hell take it in after seeing Deysha post this, because it makes me think she's seen this problem before. Because she knows as well as WE do that unless something threw a code, the dealer is going to say they can't duplicate the problem and it'll be a huge waste of time.
Thanks! We can also help with different ways and tools to diagnose the concern, wannabe. I always emphasize customers to let me escalate their concerns, especially if the dealer has not been able to duplicate it.

Deysha
Old 7/16/13, 07:43 PM

Sooo, anyone know how these cases worked out? Was everything OK?

2012 GT. Same thing happened to me yesterday and I was so alarmed I just called roadside service and had it towed to the dealer. They won't be able to get to it for a few days, so I'm driving a rental SUV, ugh.

Did I over react? Is this indeed just a non-issue?
Old 7/16/13, 09:05 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It is basically an overload of fuel caused by the non start issue. Also can be caused by starting it and after moving the car a short distance and shutting it off and then restarting it soon.

So many of these little things are just that....nothing to worry about as long as it is an event that happens once or very seldom.
Old 7/17/13, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by pac-man
Sooo, anyone know how these cases worked out? Was everything OK?

2012 GT. Same thing happened to me yesterday and I was so alarmed I just called roadside service and had it towed to the dealer. They won't be able to get to it for a few days, so I'm driving a rental SUV, ugh.

Did I over react? Is this indeed just a non-issue?
The best thing to do is bring it in, pac-man. Your Service Manager is in the best position to look into this for you. He can check into any warranty, TSBs, recalls, or Customer Satisfaction Programs that may apply to your vehicle. Let me know the outcome.

Deysha
Old 8/9/14, 08:28 PM

I had the same issue a few times with my car and came across this thread. Usually happens after trying to start the car then shutting off. I am pretty sure it's an issue with fuel in the cylinders. Car idles real bad and lots of white smoke. Exactly like a flooded engine with a carburetor. If you shut the car off and then restart then it runs fine every time.