Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Dreaded engine Tick

Search this Thread

Old 8/13/15, 03:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Update....

Car went in Tuesday morning at 7:30. The dealer said they couldn't duplicate the issue again. It was ticking plenty when I brought the car to them and even left it running for 'em at the service bay. They acknowledged the tick at that time, but said they couldn't get it to "act up" when they started to work on it. I sent my son down to drive the car. He got the tick to "act up" in a matter of minutes. Got a call from the service department that they haven't isolated the source of the tick.

Wednesday morning I received a call from the dealership asking if my son could come down and drive the car again. He did and by the end of the day, they couldn't isolate the tick.

Thursday afternoon, I get a call that they haven't been able to get the tick to "act up" so they haven't been able to locate or isolate the sound yet.

My question is, "Really?" Does it really take 3+ days to "locate" a sound in the engine compartment? With all of the diagnostic tools at their disposal and the use of a stethoscope, they should be able to narrow it down to the area and investigate from there. This is getting ridiculous and I'm not having much faith in Ford if this how their engineers/techs diagnose problems.

Last edited by scottmoyer; 8/13/15 at 03:08 PM.
Old 8/13/15, 08:31 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds typical of Ford dealerships,

Ask them to remove the A/C belt so that YOU can drive it without it. If the noise goes away, at-least you'll know where the problem is.
Old 8/13/15, 09:35 PM
Bullitt Member

I asked them if they reviewed the TSBs that I provided them and their answer was that they can't perform the TSB without locating the tick first. I said that after 3 days, they should be willing to just try the TSB fix, but their argument was that they couldn't get the tick to "act up", so they wouldn't know if the TSB fixed it.

Seems my son or myself are supposed to go to the dealer in the morning and duplicate the issue for them again!!!!
Old 8/14/15, 02:27 PM
Bullitt Member

I went to service department this morning, drove the car for about 10 minutes and worked with the service department on the tick issue. When revving the engine to 1000-1200rpm, the tick was very noticeable. I turned off the AC and they said the tick was still there.

I asked them to get me an answer today on where the issue is so that we can at least move on to the next steps. I got a call a little while ago with an update that they isolated the sound to cylinder 8!! They are waiting to hear from Ford to see if I get a new long block. I'll keep you updated.
Old 8/15/15, 11:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Keep me updated Scott! This is my concern with mine. I want to figure out if I need the AC belt or a engine...
Old 8/17/15, 10:25 PM
GT Member

How did they isolate it to #8? Did they cancel the cylinder and the noise went away? If so, then yes, you likely have a lower end issue.

Looking forward to your update. They're avoiding fixing my car like the plague. Sounds like they don't want to put anymore into a car they've already put almost 8 grand in repairs into. My warranty is basically void at this point and my car still needs stuff done. They won't do anything.

Last edited by jc46002003; 8/17/15 at 10:26 PM.
Old 8/18/15, 10:01 AM
Bullitt Member

They mentioned that they heard it very clearly when using the stethoscope at cylinder 8. The service writer said there is a bump on the block at cylinder 8 and every time they put the stethoscope on that bump, the sound was the loudest.
Old 8/18/15, 01:48 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by scottmoyer
They mentioned that they heard it very clearly when using the stethoscope at cylinder 8. The service writer said there is a bump on the block at cylinder 8 and every time they put the stethoscope on that bump, the sound was the loudest.
That suks man.

Keep in touch.
Old 8/19/15, 03:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Ok, now I'm getting the Ford runaround. My car was in the shop from Tuesday to Friday last week. The service writer I've been working with was sick on Friday, so I was dealing with another guy. The other guy told me the cylinder 8 issue and that they were going to talk with Ford for next steps.

I called the original service writer yesterday to see what the next steps are. He said he didn't know there were going to be next steps, so he'd call me back. Guess what never happened? I called again today and was told that there are no next steps. Ford said the sound I'm hearing isn't cylinder 8, but the exhaust heat expanding the metal. They are not going to provide any further assistance on this car.

So, for all of those that say I've been narrow minded being a Chevy owner my entire life, I have to say that this is the last Ford I will buy. This is not an acceptable response to this problem and I know for a fact that GM would not let this go. Many people complain about the number of issues being resolved by GM and say they will never own one because of that fact, but at least GM is fixing their problems for the customer. I have read many posts on this forum alone where people make excuses for these cars' problems saying they are assembly line products and they aren't perfect. I agree, but Ford not fixing the problems is unacceptable.

Issues that people live with on these cars:
-front/rear end squeaks while driving over bumps
-Sync not working properly
-paint issues on the hood and trunk not being fixed by Ford
-Engine tick not being fixed by Ford
-water in the quarters due to poor sealant use on the assembly line
-MT82 trans issues
Old 8/20/15, 08:26 AM
GT Member

I would have to agree, that does sound like the run-around.

How can it be the exhaust when the stethoscope was on the engine block?

The video you posted is clearly not exhaust noise.

This is just amazing.

I removed the ac belt on my car and the noise went away. No solutions offered by Ford. 'normal operation' they say. I'm about to fight them. My lawyer said I have an excellent case.

I wonder if we could start an investigation somehow. Maybe a judge order Ford to produce all records in order to find out how many they're saying are normal.
Old 8/20/15, 08:29 AM
GT Member

Make sure you get them to put their answer on paper. Demand it and let us know if they refuse to do so.
Old 8/20/15, 08:33 AM
GT Member

also make sure they put that stethoscope bit on paper as well.
Old 8/22/15, 10:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Well, I got some more runaround from the dealer today.

On August 14th, I called to check the status of the repair. The service writer informed me that they located the sound at cylinder 8. He said they would check with Ford on the next steps. I asked if we could pick up the car and use it until we heard back. He said we could and I sent my wife and son to get the car.

My wife asked why we haven't received a repair invoice when they got the car and the service writer said that they were leaving it open to see what Ford says the next steps are with the cylinder 8 issue. My son and wife drove away.

I called the original service writer on Tuesday afternoon and was told that he didn't know they located any issues and would need to call me back after he looked into it. That never happened. I called on Wednesday the 19th and was told that Ford will not be fixing the issue because it was a heat related issue with the exhaust bolt. I told them that I wasn't satisfied with that answer and asked how they diagnosed that.

On August 21st, I stopped in the service department to get my repair invoice that we weren't given at the time of pickup. I asked the second service writer why Ford thinks its exhaust related when they found the sound at cylinder 8. He said that Ford told them to move the stethoscope around and they'd probably hear it loudest at one of the exhaust bolts. He said that when they did that, the sound was coming from there. I asked when they performed that test and he said while it was on the lift. I asked him why I was given the car back with an explanation that it was the 8th cylinder, my wife was told it was the 8th cylinder, and we didn't receive an invoice because they were waiting for Ford to respond regarding cylinder 8.

He said that between the time I spoke with him on the phone and my son picked up the car, they performed this test. I asked why we weren't told this when we got the car and he stated that he told my son. My son wasn't sure what he was talking about and let it go.

So, now I am being told that the sound is one of the exhaust bolts expanding/contracting at cylinder 8. I told them that this doesn't make sense because the car is hot and is not cooling when you hear the ticking sound. If it continually expands and ticks when it expands, it should eventually explode with that diagnosis.

Looks like I need to do my own investigation into this one.

Also, I didn't what they wrote on the repair invoice.

"CUST ROAD TESTED VEHICLE AND AFTER 15 MINS ROAD TEST ENGINE BLOCK MADE TINK/TICKING NOISE NEAR DRIVERS SIDE REAR MAIN BEARING CROSS BOLT. CUST HAD TO DRIVE VEHICLE EXTREMELY HARD TO GET THIS NOISE TO OCCUR. NOISE IS LIKELY DUE TO NORMAL HEAT CYCLING OF ENGINE BLOCK AFTER HARD DRIVING, SIMILAR TO EXHAUST SYSTEM NOISE WHEN THE EXHAUST IS HEATED OR COOLED RAPIDLY."

I never drove the car "extremely hard". We drove it normally is traffic to get the engine warmed up. That's it! By the way, the final repair invoice was dated Aug 18th, but we got the car on the 14th and I picked up my copy of the invoice on the 21st. Why don't the dates jive?
Old 8/22/15, 03:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Dreaded engine Tick

Keep trying Scott. I am working with a new Dealer on my issue. Will keep you updated as things go. But it will likely be slow as the new Dealer is a hour drive one way for me...
Old 8/24/15, 07:04 PM
GT Member

@scottmoyer

Maybe your issue qualifies as a 'breach of contract' issue. Let me see if I can find out.
Old 8/29/15, 08:01 PM
GT Member

@scottmoyer,

How are things going?

I asked my lemon lawyer about your issue and they haven't gotten back yet.

I made updates on my own issue here;
https://themustangsource.com/forums/...-knock-538110/