Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Dealership used 6 quarts on 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 7/31/11, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealership used 6 quarts on 5.0

I need some advice here. I just brought my car in for its second oil change (way before it was due) and checked my receipt a day later. On it it says quantity 6 for oil, which I am pretty sure means 6 quarts. As we know by now, the 5.0 takes 8 quarts.

I am confused as to what to do though... I checked the dipstick 4, 5, 6 times and the oil level is between the two holes, indicating it is at an acceptable level. What should I do? Just keep checking the oil and be cautious, or take it into the dealership? How can they put in 6 quarts and yet the dipstick shows it is at a safe level?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 7/31/11, 09:41 PM

8 quarts on my 2011 5.0 is right in the middle of the crosshatched area between the two holes.

Where exactly is your oil level? It maybe that the tech caught the error and actually installed 8 quarts if the level is in the crosshatched area.
Old 7/31/11, 10:23 PM

It is roughly right in the middle of the crosshatched area. I checked it after I let the car idle for a few minutes and then cool down for 15 min so the oil could drain into the pan.
Old 8/1/11, 06:23 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Baylorguy
I need some advice here. I just brought my car in for its second oil change (way before it was due) and checked my receipt a day later. On it it says quantity 6 for oil, which I am pretty sure means 6 quarts. As we know by now, the 5.0 takes 8 quarts.

I am confused as to what to do though... I checked the dipstick 4, 5, 6 times and the oil level is between the two holes, indicating it is at an acceptable level. What should I do? Just keep checking the oil and be cautious, or take it into the dealership? How can they put in 6 quarts and yet the dipstick shows it is at a safe level?

Hey Baylorguy,

My name is Deysha with Ford Customer Service. I recommend you go back to your dealer and have them double check your oil for you and if there was an error made, have them correct it as soon as possible.

Deysha
Old 8/1/11, 07:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member Moderator

Received 531 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by Baylorguy

If the level is okay like you say, it just means they put the wrong amount on the receipt (or didn't do anything, LoL). No need to take the car back in. As for checking the oil regularly, yes that's always a good idea.
Old 8/1/11, 08:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member Moderator

Received 531 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
My name is Deysha with Ford Customer Service. I recommend you go back to your dealer and have them double check your oil for you and if there was an error made, have them correct it as soon as possible.
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
If the level is okay like you say, it just means they put the wrong amount on the receipt (or didn't do anything, LoL). No need to take the car back in. As for checking the oil regularly, yes that's always a good idea.
Just saw Deysha's post. Deysha is great but she is also overworked and on VERY rare occasions misfires like when she told an owner to take his car in because he couldn't get the grin off his face.
Old 8/3/11, 09:29 PM

I went to get mine changed too. The man changing it said that Ford says it only needs 6 but it needed 8 to fill it. They probably just put what the default was in the computer on your receipt.
Old 8/10/11, 02:54 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
Just saw Deysha's post. Deysha is great but she is also overworked and on VERY rare occasions misfires like when she told an owner to take his car in because he couldn't get the grin off his face.
Not Funny!!

Deysha
Old 8/10/11, 06:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 542 Likes on 422 Posts
One of my parts guys constantly charges the wrong amount of oil on the R.O.

I have to call the Parts Dept on almost every oil change to make sure the receipt shows the correct type and amount of oil.

The tech knows what to put in the engine.

The parts guy, not always
Old 8/23/11, 09:22 AM
GT Member

Yeah.. I don't think I'm letting those guys get their greasey paws on my Stang.. I'll be doing my own oil changes...
Old 9/2/11, 12:28 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just had my 2nd oil change this morning. I checked the receipt and it said quantity 6 as well. I remembered to check that after reading this a while ago. I checked the dipstick before I left and it's where it should be. I asked the service writer and he said they used 8. When I asked the service writer why it says 6, he said to get the oil change special or "the works" I think its called they charge you for 6. Otherwise you pay full price. Either way, I just checked it again after it sat for 2 hours and the level is fine.

Last edited by Hytek; 9/2/11 at 12:35 PM.
Old 9/2/11, 05:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 542 Likes on 422 Posts
Originally Posted by Hytek
Just had my 2nd oil change this morning. I checked the receipt and it said quantity 6 as well. I remembered to check that after reading this a while ago. I checked the dipstick before I left and it's where it should be. I asked the service writer and he said they used 8. When I asked the service writer why it says 6, he said to get the oil change special or "the works" I think its called they charge you for 6. Otherwise you pay full price. Either way, I just checked it again after it sat for 2 hours and the level is fine.
I write up "Works" packages all day long.

It's advertised at "$39.95 or less" including up to 5 qts of Motorcraft synthetic-blend oil and a new Motorcraft filter.

If a car uses more than 5 qts, we just charge more for the additional oil, with our price being $3.20/qt of each additional qt.

What he told you seems to be what he came up with off the top of his head.

The Works package has been around the whole 8+ years that I've been a Service Writer, and it's always been around the same price point, and it's always included 5 qts and a filter.

See here : www.fordowner.com/rebates for a printable version of the "Works" coupon which clearly states "up to 5 qts"

Old 9/2/11, 05:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Stop, drop and roll.