Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Creaking Noise from Front-end while braking

Search this Thread

Old 2/24/12, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm thinking it's more of a brake-related noise than suspension. I think 2011's have a different (larger) brake caliper than 2010's; I wonder if there was a production-problem or design-problem early in the model-year (as my car is)? Maybe pads need to be shimmed? maybe caliper issue?
Old 2/25/12, 09:29 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like the same issue I have which is the calipers creaking when they engage, when braking. Dealer told me they could go today (locking open or closed) or a year from now. Im wondering if salt from all the snow from the past few years up here in the NE has something to do with it, but I try to keep the ole girl pretty clean even in winter and have only 45k miles, though shes not garaged.
Old 3/1/12, 10:52 PM
Bullitt Member

I had this same issue, took to dealer (with ford racing 1.5 drop) and they found my drivers side wheel bearing was worn out, with 19k miles. The whole suspension in these cars seems kinda soft to me.
Old 3/16/12, 08:08 AM
GT Member

Two days ago my car which only has 800 miles on it started producing a creaking, chirping noise while braking. This only occurs at low speed. I can feel this creaking or chirping in the brake pedal. This is not a once-in-a-while occurance, it happens every time I come to a stop. BTW, my front suspension is competely unmodified.
Old 3/16/12, 02:00 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by orpheus
Two days ago my car which only has 800 miles on it started producing a creaking, chirping noise while braking. This only occurs at low speed. I can feel this creaking or chirping in the brake pedal. This is not a once-in-a-while occurance, it happens every time I come to a stop.
Hey Orpheus,

Please bring your vehicle in to your dealer for diagnosis and PM me back with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime phone number so I can escalate this to the Customer Service Manager for your area.

Deysha
Old 3/16/12, 07:50 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Hey Orpheus,

Please bring your vehicle in to your dealer for diagnosis and PM me back with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime phone number so I can escalate this to the Customer Service Manager for your area.

Deysha
I will be getting it in there soon. Thanks.
Old 3/19/12, 08:26 AM

I will be getting it in there soon. Thanks.
Awesome! Keep me posted, orpheus.

Deysha
Old 3/31/12, 08:59 AM

The dealer replaced the outer tie-rod end (the boot had a slight tear and was oozing grease), and lubed the moving parts of the caliper -- but the noise is still there.
Old 4/6/12, 06:03 PM
GT Member

Well I finally got the car into the dealership today and they disassembled the front brakes and inspected everything. They couldn't find anything that was out of the ordinary. Put it all back together and gave it back to me. It's 53 miles home and not once did it make the noise. All seems well. Thanks Deysha for your concern and willingness to help, for now we are good.
Old 4/9/12, 01:36 PM

Well I finally got the car into the dealership today and they disassembled the front brakes and inspected everything. They couldn't find anything that was out of the ordinary. Put it all back together and gave it back to me. It's 53 miles home and not once did it make the noise. All seems well. Thanks Deysha for your concern and willingness to help, for now we are good.
Great, orpheus! Let me know if I can ever be of assistance.

Deysha
Old 6/22/12, 09:18 PM
GT Member

Well not long after my last post on this topic, the noises started again and continued to get worse. I was finally able to get it into the dealer again and had contacted Deysha prior to my appointment. She had a customer service rep call me but I couldn't answer the phone at the time and they didn't leave any information nor did they call back again. So the morning I get to the dealer I take the mechanic who will be working on my car for a ride down the block and step on the brakes and he is like, " yikes that's not normal" a few different types of stops, harder, very light braking, etc and the sound is there each time. Back at the shop he goes to work. 6 hours later, I am told that they think maybe wheel cleaner contaminated the pads! Wtf, I have used eagle one wheel/ tire cleaner for years on audis, vw's, Lexus, acuras, fords, volvos and more and never "contaminated" a brake pad. These are some pretty **** poor pads if that is all it takes to damage them. Then I am
told that they had been calling ford all day and getting instruction from them, they put "ears" on the calipers and determined that the sounds were in fact coming from the brakes but they won't replace the pads because they don't know for sure if they are faulty or if I damaged them. REALLY? I get the car back and drive home. Haven't heard a word from Ford customer service, for all they know I could be dead from failed brakes. I sent a pm to Deysha a few days ago explaining all this and no response, yet she's been on the forum posting on other threads. So I thought I would throw this out here to see what others think. Right now I wish I had just paid 100 for some hawk pads and not had to take two days off work to have basically nothing done to solve this. Btw if Anyone is wondering the car has 2900 miles on it.
Old 6/26/12, 06:12 AM

Well not long after my last post on this topic, the noises started again and continued to get worse. I was finally able to get it into the dealer again and had contacted Deysha prior to my appointment. She had a customer service rep call me but I couldn't answer the phone at the time and they didn't leave any information nor did they call back again.
Hello orpheus,

I understand your frustration. On my end, I looked at your file and saw your CSM attempted to contact you and left you voicemails with information. Once I escalate your case you are to stay in contact with your CSM until your concerns are resolved.

Regarding your concerns, I recommend you get a second opinion at a different Ford dealer. If they have different findings, please do not hesitate to PM me again.

Deysha
Old 6/26/12, 06:29 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Hello orpheus,

I understand your frustration. On my end, I looked at your file and saw your CSM attempted to contact you and left you voicemails with information. Once I escalate your case you are to stay in contact with your CSM until your concerns are resolved.

Regarding your concerns, I recommend you get a second opinion at a different Ford dealer. If they have different findings, please do not hesitate to PM me again.

Deysha
Deysha, I must apologize publicly. After I read this I went through my voicemail on my phone and much to my surprise, it showed that it had been reset. I set it up again and sure enough there was the voicemail. I will contact my rep as soon as I can.

Thank you for all you do.
Dan
Old 6/27/12, 06:44 AM

Deysha, I must apologize publicly. After I read this I went through my voicemail on my phone and much to my surprise, it showed that it had been reset. I set it up again and sure enough there was the voicemail. I will contact my rep as soon as I can.

Thank you for all you do.
Dan
It's ok, orpheus! You're very welcome!

Deysha
Old 7/18/12, 07:56 AM

Hey I had the same problem with my 2011 GT, I work at a Ford store and my Service Manager took a listen to it and right away said to remove the wheels and take some sand paper to the rotors to scuff them a little. We did that and have not heard the noise since.
Old 7/20/12, 01:25 PM
GT Member

Since I had the car in last the noise had been minimized but has been gradually getting more like it used to be. I decided to order a set of Hawk PC front pads and I put them on last night. The noise is completely gone and brake feel is SO much better. I wish I had put these on before I took two days off of work to sit at a dealership. In fairness, I will update this thread in the future should the noise come back. But for now all I have to say is what a difference.
Old 5/8/19, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by wheelman
No, it's an '07 w/ 45K so no warranty. About $450 each for ball joint and strut braces, $700 for calipers, so $1600+ all tolled. Does failing calipers at 45K sound right to anyone else? Seems pretty lame to me.
I'm not trying to run it in but next time do a little more research on your costs.
My control arms which come with both bushings and ball joint are 75$ each , dual piston front caliper I got for 45 $ with a core fee.
Granted I work at a shop and have a commercial account with my vendors but I wouldn't sell any of these parts for more that a 50% profit.