Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Click/clunk on flat ground

Search this Thread

Old 1/31/12, 05:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Click/clunk on flat ground

Just want to find out if this is normal. After starting my car, very soon after starting to drive forward there's a sound, kind of between a click and a clunk, that comes from the front end. This happens on perfectly flat ground with no bumps, first gear, at a very low speed. It doesn't seem to be coming from the suspension, especially since it happens with essentially no suspension movement.

Is there something in the ABS or stability control causing this? It just does it that one time after starting the car and beginning to drive forward.
Old 1/31/12, 07:01 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Overtorqued
Just want to find out if this is normal. After starting my car, very soon after starting to drive forward there's a sound, kind of between a click and a clunk, that comes from the front end. This happens on perfectly flat ground with no bumps, first gear, at a very low speed. It doesn't seem to be coming from the suspension, especially since it happens with essentially no suspension movement.
Hi Overtorqued,

Please make an appointment with your Ford dealer for diagnosis as soon as possible and PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, and contact info so I can help.

Deysha
Old 1/31/12, 12:02 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Are you sure it is from the front? If you park the car with the parking break set for a few days, sometimes the pads stick and the first movement causes a clunk.
Old 1/31/12, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by AzPete
Are you sure it is from the front? If you park the car with the parking break set for a few days, sometimes the pads stick and the first movement causes a clunk.
It sounds like it's from the front. I drive the car every day right now, so the parking brake likely isn't it, but I know what you're talking about.

The first times I noticed this it almost sound like I ran over something and it flipped up into the wheel well. Then I realized it was the same sound every time.
Old 1/31/12, 02:30 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like your front control arm. There's a tsb out to replace it.

https://themustangsource.com/f804/ts...-11-gt-497368/

Last edited by Hytek; 1/31/12 at 02:32 PM.
Old 1/31/12, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Hi Overtorqued,

Please make an appointment with your Ford dealer for diagnosis as soon as possible and PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, and contact info so I can help.

Deysha
I don't plan to take it to the dealer until I know for sure this is a problem. The car only has ~400 miles on it and I'm not ready to turn it over to the dealer yet and hope it comes back to me in the same condition. Call me jaded, but I've had too many problems in the past. If it's something I can fix myself I'd rather do that than let the dealer do it. Or maybe it's a normal noise from the ABS or something initializing and it's nothing to worry about.
Old 1/31/12, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Hytek
Sounds like your front control arm. There's a tsb out to replace it.

https://themustangsource.com/f804/ts...-11-gt-497368/
Thanks. This is nothing like that though. It doesn't do it on bumps, and it's only right after starting the car, one time. After that, it doesn't do it again until I shut the car off and restart.
Old 1/31/12, 02:44 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks. This is nothing like that though. It doesn't do it on bumps, and it's only right after starting the car, one time. After that, it doesn't do it again until I shut the car off and restart.
Hum...got me there.
Old 2/1/12, 09:24 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't plan to take it to the dealer until I know for sure this is a problem. The car only has ~400 miles on it and I'm not ready to turn it over to the dealer yet and hope it comes back to me in the same condition. Call me jaded, but I've had too many problems in the past. If it's something I can fix myself I'd rather do that than let the dealer do it. Or maybe it's a normal noise from the ABS or something initializing and it's nothing to worry about.
I understand, Overtorqued. If you ever decide to bring it in, just PM me with your info so I can help.

Deysha