Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Clattering Noise Cold Start Up (2011 V-6)

Search this Thread

Old 10/28/10, 06:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good way of keeping on top of it and your doing all the right steps. At least Ford is working with you and trying to make this right. They really want to figure this problem out as much as you do. Keep us updated to the finish- this stuff helps alot of people out in the same boat.
Old 12/7/10, 11:09 AM

Does anyone have any updates from Ford about ticking noise? Any resolution or repairs at this point?

I have noticed the noise on my V6 now that it is cold.

I had read that there was a special service message stating that the issue would not damage the engine nor cause long term durability concerns. Just wondering if I should take my car in to the dealer or not.

Thanks for any updates!!
Old 12/8/10, 07:12 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by ncguy712003
Does anyone have any updates from Ford about ticking noise? Any resolution or repairs at this point?

I have noticed the noise on my V6 now that it is cold.

I had read that there was a special service message stating that the issue would not damage the engine nor cause long term durability concerns. Just wondering if I should take my car in to the dealer or not.

Thanks for any updates!!
Based on my experience, if you want resolution, you are going to have to make contact with Ford customer service. Ford's "official" stand right now is that since they don't believe that your engine will blow up, then there's no problem. However, I don't believe that they designed the engine to start making loud tapping/clattering noises after a few months of operation, because no one would buy a car that was designed that way. Like you, we were told that same story by the dealership (who was getting their info from the local zone rep). Only after contacting Ford customer service did we get any resolution. Ford flew out two engineers from corporate with a special tool that they thought would fix the problem (although it had never been tried in the field). After two days of working on it, they admitted defeat (engine still making noise) and ordered a replacement long-block assembly. After R&R of the engine, we have no clattering noises (so far).
Old 12/14/10, 08:19 AM
GT Member

Oasis Special Service Message on this issue

Just in case your dealership tells you that they've "heard nothing from Ford about this"...

497000- Engine Noise Concerns

Special Service Messages

21550 3.7 Cold Tick From Cylinder Head

Some 2011 mustang 3.7L vehicles with an engine build date of June 10th, 2010 or earlier may have an intermittent tick noise from the left hand cam cover area on a cold start. Engineering has identified the cause and is developing an appropriate repair procedure. This issue will not damage the engine nor cause long term durability concerns. It is recommended that no repairs be attempted at this time. Monitor oasis for updates.

Effective Date: 10/20/2010
Old 1/18/11, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by tr6nut
Based on my experience, if you want resolution, you are going to have to make contact with Ford customer service. Ford's "official" stand right now is that since they don't believe that your engine will blow up, then there's no problem. However, I don't believe that they designed the engine to start making loud tapping/clattering noises after a few months of operation, because no one would buy a car that was designed that way. Like you, we were told that same story by the dealership (who was getting their info from the local zone rep). Only after contacting Ford customer service did we get any resolution. Ford flew out two engineers from corporate with a special tool that they thought would fix the problem (although it had never been tried in the field). After two days of working on it, they admitted defeat (engine still making noise) and ordered a replacement long-block assembly. After R&R of the engine, we have no clattering noises (so far).
How is the new engine doing now. We all are waiting on Ford, they are suppose to have a fix for our cars by the end of January. Most of us have done what you said and have a case number on file. My service manager is staying in touch and on top of this also. Will post any new info when I hear something.
Old 1/19/11, 12:05 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by koolponycar
How is the new engine doing now. We all are waiting on Ford, they are suppose to have a fix for our cars by the end of January. Most of us have done what you said and have a case number on file. My service manager is staying in touch and on top of this also. Will post any new info when I hear something.

So far, so good. No odd noises (yet)
Old 1/27/11, 12:22 AM

Thumbs up update

Originally Posted by tr6nut
Just in case your dealership tells you that they've "heard nothing from Ford about this"...

497000- Engine Noise Concerns

Special Service Messages

21550 3.7 Cold Tick From Cylinder Head

Some 2011 mustang 3.7L vehicles with an engine build date of June 10th, 2010 or earlier may have an intermittent tick noise from the left hand cam cover area on a cold start. Engineering has identified the cause and is developing an appropriate repair procedure. This issue will not damage the engine nor cause long term durability concerns. It is recommended that no repairs be attempted at this time. Monitor oasis for updates.

Effective Date: 10/20/2010
My service manager called and my customer service rep verifed a kit to fix the tick noise. Suppose to include a cam bearing and cam cap and some more stuff. Mine has been shipped to dealer, should be here by Monday. Will post more when I find out more when it gets here.
Old 2/2/11, 09:36 AM

OK, the kit is actually a tool where ford will remove the cam caps on the drivers side head and cut two slashes on the underneath side of cap to allow more oil flow. I had this done already and this morning I cold sstarted my car and the Tick Noise is GONE. I posted more info and pics at allfordmustangs and mustangforums.
Old 2/4/11, 08:11 PM

The engine tick problem has been around for a while now and ford has been working on a fix. Its a problem with the followers on early production 3.7s I believe before June 10th 2010. There are also early production transmission problems. I know, i have them. They are sending a revised trans part called a LEAD FRAME at this time. I hope that works. Its a new production drive train. Its to be expected. One thing is for sure. They have to fix it before the 2012s come out or they'll be in the same boat. Then again, theres always the lemon law.
Old 2/8/11, 03:46 PM

NEW SSM # 21726

The cold tick ssm has been updated to a new number, 21726
Old 2/21/11, 08:15 PM

I snapped a quick video to capture the sound and wondered if this is the sound you all have been describing. Making sure when I call in I am talking about the right thing.

15 Second mark you can hear it the best.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKj8QHQdpeU

I am going to be calling in tomorrow.
Old 2/23/11, 10:28 PM

Just another story of the kit...

Dropped mine off last night to let them hear the cold tick this morning. The service rep said he's ordered the kit and it'll be here in a week. I was reassured the car is safe to drive. Another thing he said was that the kit is a limited run and they will not be making anymore of them. Seems weird to me and doesn't make sense, but if it's true and not just sales talk, hurry up.
Old 4/25/11, 03:34 PM

I have same issue on my 2011 v6 convertible. I purchased used-a CPO car that was a Hertz rental. I heard the sound before I purchased it. Thought perhaps was due to sitting on lot and would clear up with use. I took it in and the dealer was aware of issue. I had made copies of these posts in case he had not. Left over night and had them start in morning. They confirmed problem. I was told there was a "special tool" out there but the dealer was not scheduled to have one for about a month. Also made reference to a "kit" that would be installed. Was told to drive it as wouldn't cause damage. I am waiting for a call to bring car in to receive fix. I don't usually buy extended warranties but did with car as had been a rental. What was perhaps most upsetting is that it was a CPO car and was to have undergone extensive checks before sale. Don't see how they could have missed it.
Old 4/25/11, 07:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by william 46
I have same issue on my 2011 v6 convertible. I purchased used-a CPO car that was a Hertz rental. I heard the sound before I purchased it. Thought perhaps was due to sitting on lot and would clear up with use. I took it in and the dealer was aware of issue. I had made copies of these posts in case he had not. Left over night and had them start in morning. They confirmed problem. I was told there was a "special tool" out there but the dealer was not scheduled to have one for about a month. Also made reference to a "kit" that would be installed. Was told to drive it as wouldn't cause damage. I am waiting for a call to bring car in to receive fix. I don't usually buy extended warranties but did with car as had been a rental. What was perhaps most upsetting is that it was a CPO car and was to have undergone extensive checks before sale. Don't see how they could have missed it.
Agree. What kind of 'extensive checks' went on if they never even started her up?:/ well. Goodluck to you. Fyi, this thread is 2 months old
Old 7/10/14, 04:31 PM

Hi All, sorry to drag this one back from the dead, but I'm experiencing the cold start ticking or clatter pretty much exactly as described above. I have a 2011 V6 with about 51K miles, so I took it to the dealership assuming the repair would be covered under the 5/60 drivetrain warranty. After diagnosing the problem, and identifying the fix under TSB 12-1-17, they are saying the repair is not covered and will cost approximate $562.

I'm curious if other owners are getting this fixed under warranty, or if they are getting rejected as well. I was pretty surprised at the rejection, since it's a known issue, and it's definitely part of the drivetrain.

Gregg
Old 7/18/14, 07:29 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by GreggPDX
Hi All, sorry to drag this one back from the dead, but I'm experiencing the cold start ticking or clatter pretty much exactly as described above. I have a 2011 V6 with about 51K miles, so I took it to the dealership assuming the repair would be covered under the 5/60 drivetrain warranty. After diagnosing the problem, and identifying the fix under TSB 12-1-17, they are saying the repair is not covered and will cost approximate $562.

I'm curious if other owners are getting this fixed under warranty, or if they are getting rejected as well. I was pretty surprised at the rejection, since it's a known issue, and it's definitely part of the drivetrain.
Hello GreggPDX,

Welcome to the forum! My name is Deysha with Ford Service. A TSB is a repair procedure sent to our dealers in case someone comes in with a specific concern. It is not a Recall and it’s only covered under your new-vehicle limited warranty.

Your service manager is in the best position to let you know if there is work needed, and about coverage you may have for it (warranty, recall, etc.), or any assistance available. Also, remember repairs done at a Ford Dealer come with a 24 months/unlimited miles warranty.

Deysha
Old 8/14/14, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by FordService
Hello GreggPDX,

Welcome to the forum! My name is Deysha with Ford Service. A TSB is a repair procedure sent to our dealers in case someone comes in with a specific concern. It is not a Recall and it’s only covered under your new-vehicle limited warranty.

Your service manager is in the best position to let you know if there is work needed, and about coverage you may have for it (warranty, recall, etc.), or any assistance available. Also, remember repairs done at a Ford Dealer come with a 24 months/unlimited miles warranty.

Deysha
Hi Deysha,

Thank you for the response. When you say "new-vehicle limited warranty", is that different from the 5/60 Powertrain warranty? I was assuming the engine noise would be covered under the Powertrain Warranty.

Thanks again,
Gregg