Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Air Conditioning went out...

Search this Thread

Old 4/13/15, 12:26 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't tried mine since last summer but I have wondered this before and maybe someone will know. I've noticed in the winter the windows fog up easily. What I'm thinking is if you put the defrost on, the compressor starts running (not sure on that b/c there are two different defrost modes) but if that makes the compressor run and we run it all summer long too then the compressor doesn't get much rest. I try to not use the defrost as much as possible b/c I don't want to burn up the compressor from running it all the time. Do you guys have the defrost on all the time?

I am a little scared to go try mine now after work after reading all this lol
Old 4/26/15, 08:44 PM
V6 Member

Now I'm going to start using my a/c. I always drive with my windows down, but today it was really hot and went to the bank. As soon as I rolled down the window I could hear some clicking noise, and I could hear the noise under the car on the drivers side. I know it's has to do with the a/c, because when I turned it off the sound would stop until I would turn it back on.
Old 4/26/15, 09:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by fivepoint00
Now I'm going to start using my a/c. I always drive with my windows down, but today it was really hot and went to the bank. As soon as I rolled down the window I could hear some clicking noise, and I could hear the noise under the car on the drivers side. I know it's has to do with the a/c, because when I turned it off the sound would stop until I would turn it back on.
You just can't get a break man.
Old 4/27/15, 02:26 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 3point7
You just can't get a break man.
Heck I'm paying for this car and I'm having all these issues with my mustang. Dealership better not say this is "normal."
Old 4/27/15, 07:04 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by fivepoint00
Definitely bring it in to your Ford Dealer and get it checked out, fivepoint00. Speak to your service manager, as he’s in the best position to ensure a proper diagnosis, and will be able to provide available options and/or coverage for any work needed.

You can schedule an appointment online here. Let me know the outcome.

Deysha
Old 5/5/15, 03:20 PM

I have a 2011 v6 Convertible and air just went out also. I have 117k km (about 70k miles) luckily I did purchase the ford extended warranty that runs out in 3k kms. Also have paint bubbling and coming off on hood which ford refuses to acknowledge or fix as a defect in manufacturing and numerous other issues. Always wanted a mustang since I was a kid and regret it now unfortunately.
Old 5/5/15, 04:32 PM
CURRENTLY NOT ACTIVE ON THIS SITE DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Originally Posted by mugs72
I have a 2011 v6 Convertible and air just went out also. I have 117k km ...
Please PM me your VIN, I'll look into some options, and see how to turn things around for you.

Kwasi
Old 5/5/15, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by FordServiceCA
Please PM me your VIN, I'll look into some options, and see how to turn things around for you.

Kwasi

PMd you Kwasi
Old 5/5/15, 05:19 PM
CURRENTLY NOT ACTIVE ON THIS SITE DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Originally Posted by mugs72
PMd you...
Got it, mugs72. I'll get back to you soon.

Kwasi
Old 5/27/15, 09:27 AM

Add another to the list. Mine (original owner) is a 2012 V6 with 100K. Yes, 25K/yr. It gets toasty with windows closed at 90+ and no A/C. Been putting off having it looked at based on these posts. Another month before summer vacation so will probably hold out being that this will tie up car and budget. Sounds like keeping a cool mind is more important than a cool drive at this point. Good luck to all of you.
Old 6/12/15, 09:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Krohn
Oh! I forgot to add this!
July 25th-ish, LAST YEAR, the original condenser cracked after the other parts were replaced.
Twice in one summer!!? These cars are driven in Texas. Note that Flatrock.

My wife looked at me and said, so what are we getting rid of this car for?
Got it fixed and then bought another Mustang (in warranty).

I really do want a Mustang... but if the A/C goes out on this one too, I most likely will NOT be buying Ford again.
So my old 2012 GT went out at ~44k miles... (bad compressor and everything but condenser)
It went out again at ~46k miles... (Condenser had crack)

AND! guess whos Boss just went out at ~46k. This guy!

Two mustangs and going on three AC repairs... I'm taking it into the shop here in the next few minutes but I am not happy.

This is getting ridiculous. All in the middle of summer too... I guess it's nearing time for me to move on out of the Mustang community. It was good while it lasted.

And NO. I'm not taking it into Ford. The only "good" experience I ever have with them is while under warranty. Even then I have to take the car back 6 times (taking days off of work) and just to tell them what I think the issue is before they can ever figure it out.

Last edited by Krohn; 6/12/15 at 10:02 AM.
Old 6/12/15, 10:12 AM
V6 Member

Add me to the list. My 2011 GT has 41k miles, and my AC died on me Tuesday night. June in Alabama is the *wrong* time for that to happen.

I haven't taken it to the dealer to diagnose yet - they want $75 just to check on it. I really hope Ford can help out - this isn't exactly an uncommon problem it seems.

And you know what? Just two weeks ago we bought my wife a new 2015 Flex. That was our third Ford in a row, all since 2011. Had my AC went out just two weeks prior, we would *not* have purchased the Flex.

Very frustrated at the moment.
Old 6/12/15, 12:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Krohn
So my old 2012 GT went out at ~44k miles... (bad compressor and everything but condenser)
It went out again at ~46k miles... (Condenser had crack)

AND! guess whos Boss just went out at ~46k. This guy!

Two mustangs and going on three AC repairs... I'm taking it into the shop here in the next few minutes but I am not happy.

This is getting ridiculous. All in the middle of summer too... I guess it's nearing time for me to move on out of the Mustang community. It was good while it lasted.

And NO. I'm not taking it into Ford. The only "good" experience I ever have with them is while under warranty. Even then I have to take the car back 6 times (taking days off of work) and just to tell them what I think the issue is before they can ever figure it out.

What does one pay for a repair like this? You guys made me run my AC at lunch to make sure everything is good, lol.
Old 6/12/15, 12:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by choate
I haven't tried mine since last summer but I have wondered this before and maybe someone will know. I've noticed in the winter the windows fog up easily. What I'm thinking is if you put the defrost on, the compressor starts running (not sure on that b/c there are two different defrost modes) but if that makes the compressor run and we run it all summer long too then the compressor doesn't get much rest. I try to not use the defrost as much as possible b/c I don't want to burn up the compressor from running it all the time. Do you guys have the defrost on all the time?

I am a little scared to go try mine now after work after reading all this lol
I know this post is from 3 months ago, but thought I'd respond anyway. I am pretty certain the A/C compressor is running whenever you run the defroster, the split floor/defrost setting, and even the split dash/floor setting maybe too, whether the A/C button is lit up on your dash or not. I think that is done partially so your A/C doesn't sit unused for long periods of time, helping negate problems from sitting too long, versus worrying about running it too much.
Old 6/12/15, 03:12 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by dave07
What does one pay for a repair like this? You guys made me run my AC at lunch to make sure everything is good, lol.
Just guessing, I'd say $1500-2000 at a dealership.
Old 6/14/15, 05:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
Just guessing, I'd say $1500-2000 at a dealership.
My last repair was somewhere between $1200 and $1600
Old 6/15/15, 08:36 PM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
this is why its worth it to buy ford premium care warranty 84 months/100,000 miles, it only costs $1500 usd
Old 6/16/15, 01:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by HizliBullet
this is why its worth it to buy ford premium care warranty 84 months/100,000 miles, it only costs $1500 usd
Its worth it to buy the ford extended warranty because the AC will fail at 4x,xxx miles?

It is worth it to buy the warranty because the car WILL fail?

Don't get me wrong, I love extended warranties but... why. I just don't get why you would need one when your car is only a couple years old. These sorts of parts shouldn't go out so soon...

Just got quoted $1300+ for a new compressor and expansion valve... apparently both are leaking. The compressor works fine... but is leaking.

I hope Ford soon adopts a saying after you purchase a new car...
Hey have a great time! Remember, oil change every 5k, rotate your tires often enough, and come in for a brand new AC system at ~45k!

Last edited by Krohn; 6/16/15 at 02:10 PM.
Old 6/17/15, 08:13 AM
V6 Member

Dealer just called me and my bill will be $1800. Waiting to hear back from Ford itself.
Old 6/18/15, 09:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts
If you guys have a good relationship with the servicing dealer, they should be able to get you at least parts coverage using their P18 after-warranty-assistance budget.
It's self-approved repairs.
Ford gives every dealer so much money for them to use as they please.
It's up to the dealer to decide who they use it on.
It's use-it or lose-it for the dealer, so make yourself friends with the Svc Dept, don't treat them like idiots every time you go in, maybe even bring them a box of donuts every now and then ... you'll be surprised how much that can do.

Quick Reply: Air Conditioning went out...