Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Air Conditioning went out...

Search this Thread

Old 6/22/15, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
add me to the list

my 2011 GTCS (39k miles) just lost the AC yesterday on Fathers Day of all days... sitting in the drive thru it just slowly got less cold, and then blew hot... i turned the AC switch off and the back on and heard a grinding sound and then i turned it off again to prevent damage.. I got home and tried to add Freon to the system and I HAVE NO IDEA why they would put the LOW PRESSURE PORT so CLOSE TO THE ENGINE!! i burned my knuckles trying to get the hose on it.. but once i attached the hose, the gauge read that it was overpressureized and would not take any Freon. The outer pulley spins when you turn on the switch but the clutch doesn't seem to engage....

Last edited by howieiam; 6/22/15 at 10:41 AM.
Old 6/22/15, 12:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hopped into my buddies Ford Focus this weekend and he said to put the windows down because guess what?, his AC was broken. Its a 2011 and he is around 30k miles but outside the 3 year time frame. I'm wondering if this is a Ford problem in general?
Old 6/22/15, 01:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Air Conditioning went out...

Not really a problem for ford since they all seem to fail AFTER the warranty expires.
Old 7/20/15, 02:33 PM
GTR Member

Add another to the list. 2011 GT, 88k miles.

Driving to work on Friday, AC was on max, when suddenly the air went from comfortable to muggy. Tried cycling through each setting and found no change. Checked the fuse and relay which are fine, and suspect compressor is bad.

Has anyone done the compressor swap themselves? List price is $540, but Tousley has it for $300. From the shop manual, it looks like (3) bolts and (2) fittings.
Old 7/20/15, 09:07 PM

I was searching for a thread after all the problems with my mustang and of course I found one. I have a 2011 Mustang v6 which I bought back in August of 2010. Long story short the a/c in these cars are straight pieces of crap. I will never buy a Ford ever again because of this issue. It has been in the shop 4 times for air conditioning issues (new compressor etc.) The last time was just a week ago, and this time the say the air conditioning lines for the freon were leaking and shot ..... covered by warranty. The air conditioning blew cold for 2 days then went back to blowing straight air and it almost feels hot. The car only has 55,000 miles. I had a 2002 Mustang and never once had a A/C issue with 140,000 miles on it. Soooo sad ford is selling crappy overrated cars. So now I'm going to have to go back to the ford dealer... and you know these people love acting like your wrong. Long story short do not buy a mustang you will waste your time with inconvenience. Also living in Florida a good a/c is a must!

Last edited by Aaron Scheer; 7/20/15 at 09:11 PM.
Old 7/28/15, 10:36 AM
GTR Member

Update on mine: dealer diagnosed and found the condenser damaged, as well as a bearing failure on the compressor. $1400 to fix. I'm not quite sure what caused the condenser damage, but it'll be fixed later today.
Old 9/4/15, 11:59 AM

Gdamn it, add mine to the list. 2011 Mustang GT 64k on the clock. Stopped at a red light and the AC got really warm, turned down the radio and I could hear a faint wheeze. Looked at the car last night and the compressor is not spinning. I might be okay with this failure, if I had hit 100k+ miles but at 64k I shouldn't have to be dealing with this BS. My 02 F150 with 120k miles had spark plugs ejecting into the coils and now this. I don't know if I want to invest into another Ford...
Old 9/14/15, 01:10 PM

Add me too! My 2011 GT/CS AC compressor clutch has melted?! Barely over 36,000 miles! I cannot believe Ford has not recalled these parts or is not willing to fix this problem! Very sad and disappointing -
Old 9/14/15, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by PFrazier
Add me too! My 2011 GT/CS AC compressor clutch has melted?! Barely over 36,000 miles! I cannot believe Ford has not recalled these parts or is not willing to fix this problem! Very sad and disappointing -
It's simple. It is not a safety issue so Ford won't issue a recall. They might issue a TSB, but it doesn't mean jack when you're outside the warranty. My squeaking lower control arms still f'n squeak after replacing them while under warranty.
Old 9/14/15, 01:15 PM

Maybe my next car will be a Camaro
Old 9/14/15, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Tib02
It's simple. It is not a safety issue so Ford won't issue a recall. They might issue a TSB, but it doesn't mean jack when you're outside the warranty. My squeaking lower control arms still f'n squeak after replacing them while under warranty.
Well I am in a car with no AC in Arkansas where it has been 100 + with at least 90% humidity - and this -
IN THE SUBJECT VEHICLES, CONTINUED EXPOSURE TO HIGH LEVELS OF ABSOLUTE HUMIDITY MAY CAUSE THE DRIVER AIRBAG INFLATOR HOUSING TO RUPTURE IF THE VEHICLE IS INVOLVED IN A CRASH WHERE THE SUPPLEMENTAL FRONT AIRBAGS ARE DESIGNED TO DEPLOY.

They don't have the parts to fix my air bag so it could be a safety issue combined with the fact that I cannot use my defrost to see out my windshield if it fogs up!
Old 9/14/15, 01:46 PM

Oooo, I like that angle. I will make sure to bring that up when i talk to a service manager. I'll see if I can drop by the Chevy dealership and bring in some Tahoe literature to leave in the passenger seat.
Old 9/14/15, 01:47 PM

oh - and my lower control arm squeaks too
Old 9/14/15, 01:54 PM

The heat index was 115 the day my AC went out - I call that a serious safety issue - thank goodness my kids weren't in the car!
Old 9/17/15, 08:18 AM

Well I took it into my local Ford dealership. I will see what they tell me. (I am also on the hook for them to tell me what I already know. The compressor is f'd)
Old 9/17/15, 08:26 AM

Well I took it into my local Ford dealership. I will see what they tell me. (I am also on the hook for them to tell me what I already know. The compressor is f'd)
I emailed ford customer service and "Leif" responded telling me there was no recall - ( I knew that) and that I was over the mileage for warranty (I knew that too) but he wanted to remind me that there was a recall for my airbag - well yes I know that too but they don't have the parts to fix it so what am I supposed to do about that? He told me to save the receipts from my repairs in case they decided later that they should do something about this problem - hmm
Old 9/17/15, 08:47 AM

I just don't want to spend that much money replacing it all if I am replacing it with the same flawed part they put in it to begin with. Since Ford wont admit there is a problem with their part they obviously are not addressing it- which tells me I am going to get another POS part like the first one.

I have had some minor issues here and there with the car that were acceptable because I LOVE THIS CAR but this issue really bothers me. Tons of people having this problem with low miles or barely over the warranty -especially with the 2011 model - it should have been addressed and corrected -
Old 9/17/15, 08:54 AM

I just don't want to spend that much money replacing it all if I am replacing it with the same flawed part they put in it to begin with. Since Ford wont admit there is a problem with their part they obviously are not addressing it- which tells me I am going to get another POS part like the first one.

I have had some minor issues here and there with the car that were acceptable because I LOVE THIS CAR but this issue really bothers me. Tons of people having this problem with low miles or barely over the warranty -especially with the 2011 model - it should have been addressed and corrected -
Believe me, I am in the same boat. I love the Stang, but I bought a new car for the peace of mind of not having a major repair (I consider anything over $1k to fix major). I agree it is obviously a weak link in the car as many people have faced the same issue, and the people who create accounts on forums are a very small minority of owners. I actually convinced a friend of mine to buy a 2014 Mustang over a similar Challenger.
Old 9/17/15, 09:03 AM

Believe me, I am in the same boat. I love the Stang, but I bought a new car for the peace of mind of not having a major repair (I consider anything over $1k to fix major). I agree it is obviously a weak link in the car as many people have faced the same issue, and the people who create accounts on forums are a very small minority of owners. I actually convinced a friend of mine to buy a 2014 Mustang over a similar Challenger.

well I was dead set on a black California Special and couldn't find one close - my very good friend is a Chevy dealer he tried and tried to talk me into a Camaro - I was not having it so he found this car for me in Ohio - over 900 miles to get this car. if I had bought the Camaro from him I wouldn't have trouble getting something like this fixed.

My hometown Ford dealer quoted $1900 for all the parts and recharge. Another dealer 45 minutes away said a bit over $1000. Can figure out how they could be that far apart on price. Either way this is not a problem you should be having with any type of vehicle at 36,400 miles.
Old 9/17/15, 12:15 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
well I was dead set on a black California Special and couldn't find one close - my very good friend is a Chevy dealer he tried and tried to talk me into a Camaro - I was not having it so he found this car for me in Ohio - over 900 miles to get this car. if I had bought the Camaro from him I wouldn't have trouble getting something like this fixed.

My hometown Ford dealer quoted $1900 for all the parts and recharge. Another dealer 45 minutes away said a bit over $1000. Can figure out how they could be that far apart on price. Either way this is not a problem you should be having with any type of vehicle at 36,400 miles.
Not to promise a different outcome, but I’m happy to escalate this for you guys and get it reviewed. Please, PM me with your VIN, the dealer who diagnosed it, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha

Quick Reply: Air Conditioning went out...