Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2014 5.0 tick - engine being ripped apart

Search this Thread

Old 10/31/14, 11:10 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by HizliBullet
I showed the inspection sheet to my ford just now and his reaction was.. "we did check your engine and compared, the tick is normal"... Ohh Canadaaaaa....

then a tech walks by and gives the most advice I've had all morning he says "put thicker oil".. is that a valid point?
No. Unless you've got like 100k maybe...
Old 10/31/14, 11:21 AM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,629 Posts
Originally Posted by jc46002003
Cheers man! I just took it for a quick wash, gas-up and drove it around town for about 15 minutes. Did some stop-start driving. The car feels really good.
Great news! :fingerscrossed:
Old 11/3/14, 11:41 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks!

I have the car. ...
That’s great, jc46002003! Definitely keep me posted.

Deysha
Old 11/4/14, 09:16 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FordService
That’s great, jc46002003! Definitely keep me posted.

Deysha

Thanks Deysha.

Now I gotta fight Ford to fix my body panels. They stick out all over the place and I have wind noise. I'll be making a new thread with pictures soon since I've been turned down by 3 Ford dealers because 'they don't make enough money off body issues'. That's what they told me, to my face.
Old 11/5/14, 06:34 AM

Thanks Deysha.

Now I gotta fight Ford to fix my body panels. They stick out all over the place and I have wind noise. I'll be making a new thread with pictures soon since I've been turned down by 3 Ford dealers because 'they don't make enough money off body issues'. That's what they told me, to my face.
Oh no! Well, if you haven’t mentioned it to your CSM yet, I’m happy to escalate this as well for you, jc46002003. Let me know.

Deysha
Old 11/5/14, 09:21 AM
GT Member

Oh no! Well, if you haven’t mentioned it to your CSM yet, I’m happy to escalate this as well for you, jc46002003. Let me know.

Deysha

I have mentioned it to her. She wants me to ask other dealers if they will help. That's pretty futile since 3 so far have basically told me to get lost. Do you know if anyone at Ford can help me?
Old 11/5/14, 10:51 AM
Bullitt Member

When you guys say "tick" what do you mean?

I've never noticed any ticking or other sound while driving. But, on a hot summer day after some spirited driving, I pull into my driveway and shut the car off and when I get out I can hear a "tick tick tick ping ping tick". And it's not even that loud. I've noticed that in lots of cars and trucks. I assume that's a different sound than you guys are mentioning?
I always thought that was normal sounds from the heat of the metal ?
Old 11/5/14, 02:18 PM

I have mentioned it to her. She wants me to ask other dealers if they will help. That's pretty futile since 3 so far have basically told me to get lost. Do you know if anyone at Ford can help me?
Your CSM is your point of contact, jc46002003. Maybe you should try to speak to your selling dealer about this if needed. Maybe they’ll work with you.

Deysha
Old 11/5/14, 06:13 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Moejoe_989

I've never noticed any ticking or other sound while driving. But, on a hot summer day after some spirited driving, I pull into my driveway and shut the car off and when I get out I can hear a "tick tick tick ping ping tick". And it's not even that loud. I've noticed that in lots of cars and trucks. I assume that's a different sound than you guys are mentioning?

It's this noise here:

My car had that. It was a bad crank shaft. That crackling noise you're talking about is normal. It's some hot part of the car cooling down. Mine doesn't do that though.
Old 11/5/14, 06:15 PM
GT Member

Your CSM is your point of contact, jc46002003. Maybe you should try to speak to your selling dealer about this if needed. Maybe they’ll work with you.

Deysha

Ya I'm working on it. It's just it shouldn't be this hard. The original dealer is the one that initially tried to fix the body panels. They didn't do anything, the car is the same. They were really scared to work on it. If they're that scared, then they're not the professionals I need.
Old 11/6/14, 06:32 AM

Ya I'm working on it. It's just it shouldn't be this hard. The original dealer is the one that initially tried to fix the body panels. They didn't do anything, the car is the same. They were really scared to work on it. If they're that scared, then they're not the professionals I need.
Did they outsource the work to a local bodyshop, or do they have their own on-site, jc46002003?

Deysha
Old 11/6/14, 06:15 PM
GT Member

Did they outsource the work to a local bodyshop, or do they have their own on-site, jc46002003?

Deysha

Hi Deysha,

The selling dealership that pretended to help me with my body panels had their own body shop.

I got a great response from the CSM today. She made some concessions for my almost 3 month down time. She also called a different dealer for me and set me up with a body shop service manager at that new dealer. I'm going Monday to let them look at it.

I'm very pleased with her actions.
Old 11/7/14, 07:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 5.0 tick- engine being worked on

I took my 5.0 to the dealer almost 2wks ago an was told by service manager yesterday Ford wants to replace just the block something wrong with a piston. I have had her for 7 months an she has 15k miles, I'm a girl an don't know much about engines an not sure if this is a good outcome, why wouldn't they replace the whole engine? I'm really bummed!
Old 11/7/14, 07:45 AM

Hi Deysha,

The selling dealership that pretended to help me with my body panels had their own body shop.

I got a great response from the CSM today. She made some concessions for my almost 3 month down time. She also called a different dealer for me and set me up with a body shop service manager at that new dealer. I'm going Monday to let them look at it.

I'm very pleased with her actions.
That’s great, jc46002003! Thank you for the update.

Originally Posted by Jaydee
I took my 5.0 to the dealer almost 2wks ago an was told by service manager yesterday Ford wants to replace just the block something wrong with a piston. I have had her for 7 months an she has 15k miles, I'm a girl an don't know much about engines an not sure if this is a good outcome, why wouldn't they replace the whole engine? I'm really bummed!
Welcome and thank you for the info, Jaydee. Please keep us updated.

Deysha
Old 11/7/14, 09:03 AM
GT Member

Hi,

At least they're taking your issue seriously and they have most likely troubleshot it correctly if Ford is sending a block.

Sounds like your case is making progress, be it slowly.

It means they have to pull out your car's engine. My engine rebuild went well. If your shop is good, you should be fine as well.

Last edited by jc46002003; 11/7/14 at 09:05 AM.
Old 11/7/14, 12:33 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Probably means the cylinder heads and valve train are just fine. No need to replace them. Very common to only fix/replace what is broken...
Old 11/7/14, 01:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Moejoe_989

No, that's just the exhaust cooling off and contracting. Most cars don't do it much anymore because of some formulation change in the exhaust alloy, but if you're using aftermarket parts, you'll hear it the ticking and pinging as the exhaust pipes cool off. The sound these people are referring to is almost like an old typewriter sound.
Old 11/10/14, 04:10 PM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
skip to 18:05...this is why i think its an oil issue..im no mechanic

Old 12/2/14, 06:28 PM
GT Member

Hi good friends,

I have some updates.

The motor is running pretty well. However, I have some intermittent issues with it. I'll explain. I can cold start the car, startups normally, no issues. However, from about 145 degrees on up to about 200 degrees cylinder head temp, the engine about 4-5 times will have what sounds like a miss fire/back fire in one cylinder during the time it takes to go from that 145-200 degree. I also get a pretty pronounced intermittent rumbling/vibrating feeling in the car while it's sitting there warming up. When it warms up, it smooths out pretty well but you can tell there's a hint of the previous behaviors that happen during warm up.

Also, the 2-1 downshifting didn't take long to come back. It's a fairly pronounced mechanical sounds and a pretty good feeling in the car, like a crunching sound.

I explained all this to the dealer that overhauled the engine and they have refused me service. They won't even listen to the car with me. They told me to go back to the selling dealer. It seems they forgot that I'm at their dealer because the selling dealer sent me away telling me the engine knock was normal.

So now, I have no dealerships to help me.

1. Selling dealer won't help me at all
2. My home town dealer will chew me out if I even drive by there
3. The dealer that repaired my engine knock won't help me any further
4. Going to a new dealer won't help because I'm sure they tell me, 'go back to the dealer that did the overhaul'. They will probably laugh at me too, wouldn't be surprised.
5. The CSMs won't respond to me anymore.

It feels like a personal attack but I haven't myself produced any actions to warrant a personal attack back to myself. I've brought my technical understanding of the cars to each dealer with a professional attitude, yet, they won't help me. What's going on? They also never understand or consider the fact that I have experience with these cars. I even tell them that I'm bringing them my issues because of my experienc of owning these 5.0s. I know these cars very well. I know what they are, what they aren't. I know their normal qwerks and how they are supposed to operate and how they're not supposed to operate. Their response is 'every car is different'. Well that's exactly why I'm there talking to them, I know when there's a normal difference between a car and when the car has an issue. For example, some of these cars have a whine noise during warm up that goes away once warmed up. Some 5.0s I've owned don't have that issue. I write those issues off because the noise goes away and the car is fine. I don't report that to the dealers because I know it's not an issue. It's a normal difference between cars of the same model. I've been driving them since the 5.0 came out!

I've contacted Ford on Twitter. One fellow has responded to me there and is seeing what he can do.

Do any of you guys have a misfire/back fire kind of feeling during warm-up? 145-200 degrees? My car didn't do it before the overhaul.

Last edited by jc46002003; 12/2/14 at 07:26 PM.
Old 3/20/15, 09:16 AM
GT Member

wow just wow. I think the biggest issue here is the way Ford operates. I have had issues with my 2014 Track Pack GT and have had to fight since December to get it fixed. Ford does not let the dealerships do work unless they do unpteen hours of FREE diagnostic work. Ford does not compensate the dealer for the time it takes to diagnose an issue just the Labor guide time to fix it so the dealers dont want to work on warranty issues when ford is going to make them jump thru hoops to get the work.

Quick Reply: 2014 5.0 tick - engine being ripped apart