Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

5.0 rattle/buzz sound at start up

Search this Thread

Old 8/3/11, 07:56 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
5.0 rattle/buzz sound at start up (sound clip uploaded)

I was hoping I could get some help from other 5.0 owners with something else. After about a week of owning my Stang I noticed that when I first start the car in the morning and the engine is warming up, right in the 600 to 1000 RPM range there is a metal buzzing sound that happens for about 2 seconds. After that it goes away and no amount of revving brings it back, I can start it up multiple times even after it has sat for a few hours and it will not do this again until the next morning.

Anyone got any idea what this could be?

This is still not fixed re uploaded the clip below

(File re uploaded)clip of noise car is making: http://www.mediafire.com/?mt1jhd39k8b8vba

Last edited by vistablue mustang; 3/1/12 at 05:24 AM.
Old 8/3/11, 08:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know you said you think it's coming from the front, but go to the back grab the exhaust tip (when it's cold!) and give it a little shake. Can you hear any rattling?

I just put some GT500 mufflers on and I get this exact sound when I start mine up in the morning. There was some shipping damage and I suspect a broken weld on one of the baffles inside the muffler.
Old 8/3/11, 08:56 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Norberd
I know you said you think it's coming from the front, but go to the back grab the exhaust tip (when it's cold!) and give it a little shake. Can you hear any rattling?

I just put some GT500 mufflers on and I get this exact sound when I start mine up in the morning. There was some shipping damage and I suspect a broken weld on one of the baffles inside the muffler.
I will certainly give this a try, I hope its that simple. Metal vibration because of echo is difficult to track down.
Old 8/3/11, 12:44 PM
Cobra Member

Tried moving the exhaust and not noise whatsoever. Really wish I could figure out what is causing this so I can give the techs something to go off of when trying to fix it.
Old 8/12/11, 10:53 AM
Cobra Member

Anyone?
Old 8/12/11, 02:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by vistablue mustang
Anyone?
Sounds like it could be an exhaust hangar that is touching one of the metal brackets it hangs from. I had this problem before too after I switched to aftermarket exhaust. During cold starts and idle I could sometimes hear metal on metal contact, and when it warmed up it would go away.

Try looking at your exhaust from underneath the car (lay on the ground and look up under each exhaust pipe and note if the hangar is in contact with a metal bracket. This will give the sound you are describing as I have had it before myself and I had no idea what it was. I never had this with the stock exhaust though. When my car is warm the exhaust shifts slightly aft, and when it's cold and has been sitting the hangar moves back to where it was originally. In total I've noticed my right rear most forward hangar can move (+/- 1 inch or so) between the engine and exhaust being cold and warm. Mine may have a bit more movement than what you could expect from the stock exhaust because mine is loud and rumbly...haha. If this is the case and the hangar is in contact OR very close to the bracket, you may need to have one of your exhaust hangars readjusted. Again, the most suspect hangar for me has always been located on the right rear of the car and the most most forward hangar towards the middle of the car.

Note: if the hangar is very close but not touching the metal bracket and you try moving the exhaust tip you should be able to hear it. However, if the hangar is already right up against the bracket you won't necessarily hear it when you move the exhaust tip.

Not to say this will fix the problem, but it's definitely a possibility to look into.

Last edited by Stangpilot007; 8/12/11 at 03:00 PM.
Old 8/12/11, 03:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Here's a video of this problem I'm describing. This is exactly what mine sounded like when the hangar was in contact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bidYddKwTAY
Old 8/15/11, 09:41 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
After about a week of owning my Stang I noticed that when I first start the car in the morning and the engine is warming up, right in the 600 to 1000 RPM range there is a metal buzzing sound that happens for about 2 seconds. After that it goes away and no amount of revving brings it back, I can start it up multiple times even after it has sat for a few hours and it will not do this again until the next morning.
Hi vistablue mustang,

Please inform your CSM about this when you speak to her again. This way all of your concerns are resolved at once. If you need me, let me know.

Deysha

Last edited by FordService; 8/16/11 at 07:53 AM.
Old 10/26/11, 10:58 AM
Cobra Member

Stangpilot thanks for the info, i have thought this was coming from the exhaust for a while. Yes its strange that it would happen with stock exhaust, but the noise in your vid is what I am hearing to a T. I will check this out when I get home today. I left the post alone for a while so sorry about the delayed responses.

Deysha I have been to the dealer several times for this and I just don't know what to do, its seems like a simple fix but they can never replicate the issue (likely because the car is not cold enough) I could easily record it but that won't get them to hear it them selves. Its a bit embarrassing to say the least, I would love to get this fixed as its the only issue I have (thank goodness)

Last edited by vistablue mustang; 10/26/11 at 11:15 AM.
Old 11/2/11, 09:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good luck. Hope you have a good dealer.
Old 12/7/11, 11:12 AM
Cobra Member

Still working on getting this fixed, had it to the dealer and they did a rather large repair (will post specifics when I have the report back in front of me) but the issue has gotten louder and now does it while i am driving, needless to say I am not pleased, I honestly expect way better from Ford......
Old 12/7/11, 11:15 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Still working on getting this fixed, had it to the dealer and they did a rather large repair (will post specifics when I have the report back in front of me) but the issue has gotten louder and now does it while i am driving, needless to say I am not pleased, I honestly expect way better from Ford......
Don't necessary blame Ford. I would point my finger at the dealer. Ford itself didn't perform the work on the car. The dealers techs did and they might not be very good techs.
Old 12/7/11, 11:51 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by texastboneking
Don't necessary blame Ford. I would point my finger at the dealer. Ford itself didn't perform the work on the car. The dealers techs did and they might not be very good techs.
Well there is the simple logic that if the car did not have the problem in the first place the dealer would not have had to perform the work, also I trust these guys as they have always done good work.

I realize all makes and models have issues but a brand new car off the line should not be rattling when starting. Its been doing this since the 700mile mark and this is really unacceptable and embarassing for a car that costs this much. Hard to sell your co workers on buying a Ford when everyday I go to start it up to go home it sounds like someone is shoving a metal rod into the engine. I will try and post a video I have of this maybe someone on here can help me figure this out but right now I am really sorry I sold my 07 to get this.

Last edited by vistablue mustang; 12/7/11 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12/7/11, 05:09 PM
Cobra Member

See first post for dealer diagnosis and part that was replaced. OK here is a clip of my car making the noise I am talking about I took out the video and turned it into an MP3 for ease of use http://www.mediafire.com/?y2ji7t27df8205p

Last edited by vistablue mustang; 2/18/12 at 09:11 AM.
Old 12/7/11, 05:31 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

At first it kinda sounded like a ac compressor locked up and screeching the belt. Or the ac clutch partially engaged and slipping on the pulley. Then at the end it sounded like a metal rattle like a catalytic converter...
Old 12/7/11, 05:32 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Where do you live. If I was close I would come take a look.
Old 12/7/11, 05:43 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by texastboneking
Where do you live. If I was close I would come take a look.
Jersey, I appreciate the offer but I think thats a bit too far out from Texas for a good will trip did you read what they replaced in the first post? The metal rattle is primarily what I am talking about.

Its going back to the dealer tomorrow, spoke with my regional rep today as well for good measure (with stuff like this I want Ford involved) Good lord I hope this is an easy fix and not something serious.......
Old 12/7/11, 06:00 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Jersey, I appreciate the offer but I think thats a bit too far out from Texas for a good will trip did you read what they replaced in the first post? The metal rattle is primarily what I am talking about.

Its going back to the dealer tomorrow, spoke with my regional rep today as well for good measure (with stuff like this I want Ford involved) Good lord I hope this is an easy fix and not something serious.......
It almost has to be a converter. There isn't that many things that make that noise.
Old 12/7/11, 06:16 PM
Cobra Member

Thanks I appreciate the info, I will mention the Cat to them when I go tomorrow. Their master tech is going to work on it so I just hope he can figure it out.
Old 12/7/11, 06:26 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Thanks I appreciate the info, I will mention the Cat to them when I go tomorrow. Their master tech is going to work on it so I just hope he can figure it out.
Good luck!

Quick Reply: 5.0 rattle/buzz sound at start up