Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

3.7 Engine Failure

Search this Thread

Old 3/18/14, 01:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey all, I'm new to the the forum. A Long time Mustang fan and purchased my first Mustang back in early February. Yesterday, I hit my 1000 mile mark after having the car for all of 6 weeks and this afternoon, I was met with engine failure.

It is a 2014 base V6. I had just finished installing an amp and subwoofer in her this past weekend. While running wires under the carpet, I noticed the underlayment was totally soaked on the rear passenger side! The surface was all dry to the touch but the underside was clearly soaked. This was late Saturday afternoon and it took me until late at night to get her back together so I scheduled an appointment online but the soonest they could schedule was Wednesday so I thought I'd wait and see... Sunday night I was at work and during my break, I took the car to a gas station to fill up and check to see if any more water had made it inside (it was raining all day and that night) and when I reached down I was met with soaking wet carpet. Just the back floor area behind the passenger seat.

Unfortunately, I never determined if water was getting in while driving or while parked, that is a minor detail compared to what happened this afternoon. I had planned to drive up to the dealer and see if they could figure out where the water was coming in. I started the car and fiddled with my new amp for about a minute when a loud knocking started coming from the engine. I tapped the gas a smidge and it went away. Put the car in drive and made it about 15 feet and the engine died. Started it back up and it coughed a bit and had a faint ticking then it smoothed out. I drove about a mile and noticed some ticking and knocking intermittently and the temp gauge hadn't moved (I looked at it because it was acting like it was overheating) just then it shot up to normal operating temp. I continued on my way to the dealer (it's about 6 miles from the house) and luckily didn't catch any lights until about 1/2 mile away. As I slowed down, the knocking returned with a vengeance and I decided to pull into a parking lot. As I made the turn the engine died and I coasted into the nearest parking space and called roadside.

I got towed in within a half hour and when I explained what happened, the service rep said something like "That doesn't sound good" and proceeded to tell me that his engine guy is at least two weeks behind schedule and it will be that long before they can even look at it. After a long pause, (I guess he was expecting me to go somewhere else) I said OK... Well, I can't really do anything about it myself... he then proceeded to get my info and check me in. After he got me checked in, he acted like we were all done. Another long pause. I broke the awkward silence and asked him "Who do I need to speak with about getting a loaner?" He said, "Well, we're all out of loaners right now...." mumbled a little bit about using all of the loaner allotment before they even get to look at the car or something to that effect and checked our warranty info again (we were sold the premium warranty) then I guess he went to go speak with the service manager... anyhow, I'm now in a rental they set me up in for who knows how long that I had to pay a deposit on out of pocket...

So I spent most of the night searching for posts like this one, googling "2014 mustang knock" and such, it wasn't until I searched "3.7 engine failure" that this post finally showed up. I also posted a shortened version of this story in 2 other mustang forums and someone mentioned a ford rep might be able to help out and I should try and find her. I hope I found her.

I think it's extremely bad... (putting it as politely as possible) that a) I am experiencing two major problems within 1000 miles and b) they can't even look at it for at least two weeks. The fulfillment of my childhood dream has become quite tainted.

I've received many emails since the purchase of my car from just about everyone at the dealership, thanking me for my business, even an email from the owner himself. Should I get them involved or can they really not do anything to help? I was already second guessing my decision of doing business with them because I was told that I could have gotten a Premium Performance Pony package for what they sold me the base for but his sales method was way too aggressive for my taste and kinda pushed himself away on closing day... another story.

What are my options here? I looked into the Lemon Law and it wouldn't apply at this point in the game. I expect them to try and place the blame on me because that's what usually happens when dealing with corporations. If it turns out to be something similar to the above posts, I certainly wouldn't be happy getting a rebuilt engine... What should I do?
Old 3/18/14, 02:43 AM
Cobra Member

That's sucks man but I hope they get your pony squared away and running strong again. Just contact Deysha with Ford Customer Service in this thread and she will help you. No need to get the the people at the dealership involved besides the service folks for now. Don't even know what's wrong yet.
Old 3/18/14, 07:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I hope my 2014 is not getting water intrusion inside. I have noticed the inside of the back window gets awfully moist just from sitting out in the driveway. Rot waiting to happen.
Old 3/18/14, 07:45 AM

Ageless1 -

Sorry to hear about your Mustang.

Keep a notepad handy and be sure to track your interactions with any and all Ford contacts (3-18-2014, 3:00 PM, spoke on phone with John Doe in the dealer's service department. He said blah blah blah....).

Hopefully you'll never need it, but if things go sideways it will be to your extreme benefit to have detailed records of who said what and when.
Old 3/18/14, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Automatic 5.0
I hope my 2014 is not getting water intrusion inside. I have noticed the inside of the back window gets awfully moist just from sitting out in the driveway. Rot waiting to happen.
It is possible. One thing I noticed is that you can have pretty significant water beneath the carpet and you'll not be able to feel it through the top. Here is an easy way to check the rear section of the floor pan: 1) Remove rear seat bottom. 2) remove (2) plastic panel pins that hold the carpet. one on each side. 3) reach down and feel around. The whole job should take less than 5 minutes.
Old 3/18/14, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by sammerdog
Ageless1 - Sorry to hear about your Mustang. Keep a notepad handy and be sure to track your interactions with any and all Ford contacts (3-18-2014, 3:00 PM, spoke on phone with John Doe in the dealer's service department. He said blah blah blah....). Hopefully you'll never need it, but if things go sideways it will be to your extreme benefit to have detailed records of who said what and when.
Thanks for the tip! I will do that when they eventually get to it.
Old 3/18/14, 02:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
they can likely get you a rental because it looks like you are goign to be in for the long haul. I would contact Ford Customer Service and advise that it will be 2 weeks before they can even look at it.

I had a similar experience with my Lincoln truck and a blown tranny. 2 weeks before they could look at it. they got me a rental b/c they didn't have loaners.
Old 3/18/14, 08:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ageless1
It is possible. One thing I noticed is that you can have pretty significant water beneath the carpet and you'll not be able to feel it through the top. Here is an easy way to check the rear section of the floor pan: 1) Remove rear seat bottom. 2) remove (2) plastic panel pins that hold the carpet. one on each side. 3) reach down and feel around. The whole job should take less than 5 minutes.

Thanks! Gonna check it out this weekend.
Old 3/19/14, 07:26 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Hey all, I'm new to the the forum. A Long time Mustang fan and purchased my first Mustang back in early February. Yesterday, I hit my 1000 mile mark after having the car for all of 6 weeks and this afternoon, I was met with engine failure. ...
Hello ageless1,

Welcome to the forum! My name is Deysha with Ford Service, and I’d like to get this escalated for you. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Originally Posted by Ajcruz1
That's sucks man but I hope they get your pony squared away and running strong again. Just contact Deysha with Ford Customer Service in this thread and she will help you. No need to get the the people at the dealership involved besides the service folks for now. Don't even know what's wrong yet.
Originally Posted by bones302
they can likely get you a rental because it looks like you are goign to be in for the long haul. I would contact Ford Customer Service and advise that it will be 2 weeks before they can even look at it.
I had a similar experience with my Lincoln truck and a blown tranny. 2 weeks before they could look at it. they got me a rental b/c they didn't have loaners.
Thanks for the mention, guys!

Deysha
Old 3/19/14, 10:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

So the motor broke(mass production...1 fails, shock) and they are putting a NEW BOTTOM end in the car, that is just as tight as the motor that came in the car.

What is the complaint?
Old 3/20/14, 12:54 AM

I got Deysha my info (Thanks!) and I sent an email to the dealerships owner. He replied at 7am and again at 11am. The car is being looked at and he says his goal is to get a new engine put in and have it back to me ASAP. We shall see.
Old 3/20/14, 05:24 AM
Bullitt Member

I got Deysha my info (Thanks!) and I sent an email to the dealerships owner. He replied at 7am and again at 11am. The car is being looked at and he says his goal is to get a new engine put in and have it back to me ASAP. We shall see.
Keep us informed on how it all goes. Hope the best for you. Deysha is great She really helps all of us keep our sanity while we bombard her with questions while waiting for our stang to be built.
Old 3/20/14, 06:34 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Great to know they are on top of this, ageless1! I’ll get back to you as soon as possible.

Originally Posted by Toad 185
Keep us informed on how it all goes. Hope the best for you. Deysha is great She really helps all of us keep our sanity while we bombard her with questions while waiting for our stang to be built.
Thank you for the kind words, Toad 185!

Deysha
Old 3/20/14, 12:09 PM

Just spoke with the service director. He confirmed my assumption and said that there were 2 issues. Was not sure if 1 caused the other but he said the oil pump locked up (my thought) and that cylinder #1's bearing siezed. A new engine is on the way from Ford.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 3/21/14, 08:41 PM

Spoke with Svc. Mgr. today. A new engine is on the way from Ford. They expect to have it by Tuesday and barring any issues, I could have it back by Friday. Fingers crossed!
Old 3/22/14, 09:57 AM
Banned

Spoke with Svc. Mgr. today. A new engine is on the way from Ford. They expect to have it by Tuesday and barring any issues, I could have it back by Friday. Fingers crossed!
fingers crossed for you.
Old 3/23/14, 10:59 AM
GT Member

Awesome. I'm sure they'll get it squared away!
Old 3/24/14, 04:33 PM

Got a call from my service manager on my way to work this afternoon. The engine came it this morning. It is a complete, brand-new engine; factory filled and everything. They said all they needed to do was swap it out and attach the harness'. Awesome! It's a day early to boot!

A little more info on what went wrong- It started ticking a little bit as it warmed up but went away. Then it developed a loud knock within a mile of driving. Upon inspection by the Ford mechanic, they found 2 problems. The oil pump was not working and the #1 bearing (not exactly sure which he meant; he said the #1 cylinder bearing but I thought there were only 4 bearings in this engine; maybe there are different types of bearings inside) had shattered into tiny bits and had filled my oil pan with bits of it. They are not sure if an oil pump had failed and caused the bearing to fail, or if the bearing was defective and the bits of metal caused the oil pump to fail when it failed. In any case, I am relieved that it is an entire new engine.
Old 3/24/14, 04:42 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like a rod bearing.
Old 3/24/14, 06:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Congrats on ALMOST getting there!!

Quick Reply: 3.7 Engine Failure