Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2014 GT Engine tick

Search this Thread

Old 8/26/14, 11:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jazzman442
OK what gives here. There are to many people with the Oil Change Tick? Does not make any sense.

Does anyone know what oil Ford uses at the factory? What oil filter do they use?

What Oil is the Dealer using? Oil Filter?

Does it sound like a Lifter Tick?

Deysha Is there any TSB's on this issue?
As I mentioned in a earlier post it is right after the oil change. My first oil change it did not happen (late winter). My second oil change was in early June. It ticked so bad I thought they forgot to put oil in.

It isn't there now. Goes away after some driving.

I'm using stock motorcraft oil filter and motorcraft 5w50 (I have a Track Pack GT). My oil goes in from quart bottles because it is odd ball oil ( per say). Other people have this with 5w20 as well.
Old 8/26/14, 01:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Seems like most people say it's coming from the front of the engine up near "The belt". Cam followers usually make noise or they don't or do only when cold or when hot, not randomly without pattern the way this sound appears. It’s definitely not rod knock or piston slap. Fuel injectors don’t make sense since the noise appears primarily after an oil change. My hunch is it's the cam timing actuators. They're located on the front of each cylinder head (Which would make them close to the belt and the sound could easily be misinterpreted) and are ultimately actuated by oil pressure. How about the cam drive chains/chain tensioners? Next time you hear the noise, have a listen to the cam actuators and chains with your stethoscope.

John

Last edited by Horspla; 8/26/14 at 01:02 PM.
Old 8/26/14, 05:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Horspla
Seems like most people say it's coming from the front of the engine up near "The belt". Cam followers usually make noise or they don't or do only when cold or when hot, not randomly without pattern the way this sound appears. It’s definitely not rod knock or piston slap. Fuel injectors don’t make sense since the noise appears primarily after an oil change. My hunch is it's the cam timing actuators. They're located on the front of each cylinder head (Which would make them close to the belt and the sound could easily be misinterpreted) and are ultimately actuated by oil pressure. How about the cam drive chains/chain tensioners? Next time you hear the noise, have a listen to the cam actuators and chains with your stethoscope.

John
I'm definitely going to have my stethoscope ready for the next oil change. I'm going to performance driving school early October and after that ill be ready for a oil change.
Old 8/26/14, 08:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Jazzman442
OK what gives here. There are to many people with the Oil Change Tick? Does not make any sense. Does anyone know what oil Ford uses at the factory? What oil filter do they use? What Oil is the Dealer using? Oil Filter? Does it sound like a Lifter Tick? Deysha Is there any TSB's on this issue?
Motorcraft semi-synthetic 5W-20 or 5W-50 and Motorcraft FL820s filter.
Old 9/5/14, 04:54 PM

I purchased my 3rd mustang, a 2014 premium track pack gt in April. At 2000 miles it developed the same tick around idle with the ac on. At 6000 miles after the first oil change I brought it to ford, who immediately heard the noise.

Their first step was to replace the water pump, which took 8 days to arrive. They were confident this would resolve the issue, however it did not. Next they put a call into the hotline. FoMoCo hotline then instructed the dealer to change out the ac belt. This of course also did not resolve the ticking.

As of today they stated a regional engineer is coming in to look at the vehicle. The car is completely stock. They stated they want to go into the engine and make modifications. This is unacceptable on a new vehicle. I've been sold a new car with a defective motor, however "normal" it might be.

Having to perform that extent of work on a new vehicle is not acceptable.

They have now had the vehicle for 2 weeks, and refused to offer me a rental until today.

As of today I have opened a case with the corporate regional manager, and am expecting a call back by Monday. I'm pushing for a buy back. If refused I will be losing quite a bit on a trade in.

We have purchased 5 new vehicles from this dealership, if they are unable to correct this issue, it will have to be the last.
Old 9/5/14, 05:21 PM
GT Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Man, I would be concerned with that too. Definitely sounds like some bad valve train noise.

Last edited by slow.stang; 9/6/14 at 10:43 AM.
Old 9/5/14, 08:01 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After looking at an exploded view of the 5.0 V8 I often wonder if the tick is from some slack in the timing chain hitting the side of the case someplace as it spins? Just a thought.
Old 9/5/14, 08:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Kestral
After looking at an exploded view of the 5.0 V8 I often wonder if the tick is from some slack in the timing chain hitting the side of the case someplace as it spins? Just a thought.
For me ( and it seems others) his only happens immediately after an oil change.
Old 9/5/14, 09:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
It does not bother me personally. Like most people it only happens after oil change. Usually goes away after a few thousand miles. Do you really think if there was a mechanical issue it would go away? If anything it would get worse with time. Best solution? Get a supercharger you will forget about it. Lol

Ps. My brothers bmw engine is MUCH noiser than my engine.

Last edited by Wild5.0; 9/5/14 at 09:22 PM.
Old 9/5/14, 09:27 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pminri
For me ( and it seems others) his only happens immediately after an oil change.
This Tick issue is so strange and the strangest thing is Ford does not seem to know the solution. Or they do know and refuse to say what it is?

I bought my GT used with around 12,000 miles and I now have 15,000 and so far no tick.

Nice car pminri my GT looks just like yours where in New England are you located? I live in Western MA.
Old 9/5/14, 11:44 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I guess my post at the beginning of the thread was completely ignored.

I told you all what solved it for me. I had the same ticking noise on one of my 2014 mustang GT 5.0 auto.

This tick:

I'll tell you all again.

Ford dealer narrowed down the noise as coming from between the engine and transmission. They pulled the trans and inspected flex plate and torque converter. No damage found. Put the car back together, NOISE GONE.

Assumptions: flex plate or TQ bolts are backing off. Re-assembling the car tightened them back up.

I have another car going through the same process on Monday. It will likely be resolved in the exact same way. I'll let you all know. That is, if you even read my posts.
Old 9/5/14, 11:52 PM
GT Member

by the way, my DECEL vibration has also been resolved. It was the rear differential. They replaced the ring/pinion, limited slip disks and bearings. They were ALL DAMAGED.

The decel vibration only happened above 40 miles per hour and only when I let my foot of the gas. FIXED.
Old 9/5/14, 11:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by jc46002003
I guess my post at the beginning of the thread was completely ignored. I told you all what solved it for me. I had the same ticking noise on one of my 2014 mustang GT 5.0 auto. This tick: Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Hga9tZMtN0g I'll tell you all again. Ford dealer narrowed down the noise as coming from between the engine and transmission. They pulled the trans and inspected flex plate and torque converter. No damage found. Put the car back together, NOISE GONE. Assumptions: flex plate or TQ bolts are backing off. Re-assembling the car tightened them back up. I have another car going through the same process on Monday. It will likely be resolved in the exact same way. I'll let you all know. That is, if you even read my posts.
How does that fix the noise for those with manual transmissions?
Old 9/6/14, 12:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38

Didn't you read his post Patrick?!?!? He said you gotta tighten your torque converter! lol
Old 9/6/14, 12:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by KushBandit
Didn't you read his post Patrick?!?!? He said you gotta tighten your torque converter! lol
Lol. Well, I am about to do my first oil change within the next couple weeks...I'll let you know how it goes
Old 9/6/14, 01:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol. Well, I am about to do my first oil change within the next couple weeks...I'll let you know how it goes
I'm not religious, but I'll pray for your engine bro. I got the tick after my first oil change, and it went away after about 1,500 miles or so. I don't know if I'm going crazy, but I could have sworn I heard it today when I started my car to pull it into my garage to diagnose a driveline clunk.

Think my ring and pinion is toast now
Old 9/6/14, 05:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Kestral

This Tick issue is so strange and the strangest thing is Ford does not seem to know the solution. Or they do know and refuse to say what it is?

I bought my GT used with around 12,000 miles and I now have 15,000 and so far no tick.

Nice car pminri my GT looks just like yours where in New England are you located? I live in Western MA.
Thanks Kestral, I live in northern RI. My wife bought it for me for my wedding gift ( We ordered it from Tasca). Im getting ready to track it again at a performance driving school in SC but I have to get the oil changed again (yikes) before I go. It took some time for it to go away the last oil change, I makes me nervous. I'm going to have my stethoscope ready this time. Other than that the car has been perfect.
Old 9/6/14, 07:22 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by KushBandit
I'm not religious, but I'll pray for your engine bro. I got the tick after my first oil change, and it went away after about 1,500 miles or so. I don't know if I'm going crazy, but I could have sworn I heard it today when I started my car to pull it into my garage to diagnose a driveline clunk. Think my ring and pinion is toast now
Thanks man. I do hear it, slightly, every now and then. Usually on the weekend if I don't start the car for two days. I drive it every day during the week, so maybe the oil doesn't have as much time to settle in the pan.
Old 9/6/14, 10:46 AM
GT Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Thanks man. I do hear it, slightly, every now and then. Usually on the weekend if I don't start the car for two days. I drive it every day during the week, so maybe the oil doesn't have as much time to settle in the pan.
Mine makes a slight whistle when I start it up and sounds like a rape whistle at redline, any idea what this could be?
Old 9/6/14, 12:05 PM
GT Member

It's doesn't. I gave assumptions based off my car. Not facts. We all know the tick happens on both manual and auto alike. Take away the TQ and make your own assumptions.

Quick Reply: 2014 GT Engine tick