Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2012 6spd transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old 10/16/12, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 6spd transmission issues

I've had my car a couple months now. And since the day I brought it home, it has occasionally popped out of 1st or 2nd gear. When it does pop out of gear, it can either be stationary at idle or moving. When it pops out of gear, it WILL NOT go back into gear without double clutching the car or sometimes stopping and then putting it back in gear. It physically locks you out. No grinding. Just flat out won't go back into gear. It has also done this for Reverse on one occasion.

Under higher RPM shifts 4000+ it will randomly lock you out of 3rd and 4th gear. Again when it does this, it flat out will not let you into the gear. It does this almost EVERY time you row through the gears with the car.

I took my car in for warranty work. The first time they "couldn't get it to duplicate the problem". We got ahold of the dealer we bought the car from and they got Ford to agree to rebuild the transmission. Once they got my car though they took everything apart and said it already had the upgraded parts installed. So the tech working on it, took the car out and did get it to duplicate the problems. He said he spoke with Ford engineers and they claim it is the skip shift causing the car to have these issues. According to them - "The skip shift is operating normally."

To me, I feel like they are aware of the problem. Know it is an issue. But have no idea how to fix it so they are trying to brush this problem under the rug. It is a safety concern due to it popping out of gear in traffic and not being able to get it to go back into gear. And under no part of the guidelines for the skip shift does it state it will lock you out of 4th gear. It is suppose to go IN 4th when it activates.

The dealer has replaced the skip shift on the car, and said I basically either need to get the car tuned (which will void the warranty) or unplug the skip shift - which they are not allowed to do. I feel like I shouldn't have to unplug a part of my car to get it to function correctly when its a brand new car with 2k miles on it. I'm not fully sure I believe it is the skip shift causing the issues because skip shift is not suppose to activate under most of the conditions the car is experiancing problems in.

Anyone else having these issues? Insight? Advice? Much appreciated.
Old 10/16/12, 09:56 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah thats not right. Call Ford Customer Care to upgrade the issue.
Old 10/16/12, 11:15 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by CandyRed2012
I've had my car a couple months now. And since the day I brought it home, it has occasionally popped out of 1st or 2nd gear. When it does pop out of gear, it can either be stationary at idle or moving. When it pops out of gear, it WILL NOT go back into gear without double clutching the car or sometimes stopping and then putting it back in gear. It physically locks you out. No grinding. Just flat out won't go back into gear. It has also done this for Reverse on one occasion.

Under higher RPM shifts 4000+ it will randomly lock you out of 3rd and 4th gear. Again when it does this, it flat out will not let you into the gear. It does this almost EVERY time you row through the gears with the car.

I took my car in for warranty work. The first time they "couldn't get it to duplicate the problem". We got ahold of the dealer we bought the car from and they got Ford to agree to rebuild the transmission. Once they got my car though they took everything apart and said it already had the upgraded parts installed. So the tech working on it, took the car out and did get it to duplicate the problems. He said he spoke with Ford engineers and they claim it is the skip shift causing the car to have these issues. According to them - "The skip shift is operating normally."

To me, I feel like they are aware of the problem. Know it is an issue. But have no idea how to fix it so they are trying to brush this problem under the rug. It is a safety concern due to it popping out of gear in traffic and not being able to get it to go back into gear. And under no part of the guidelines for the skip shift does it state it will lock you out of 4th gear. It is suppose to go IN 4th when it activates.

The dealer has replaced the skip shift on the car, and said I basically either need to get the car tuned (which will void the warranty) or unplug the skip shift - which they are not allowed to do. I feel like I shouldn't have to unplug a part of my car to get it to function correctly when its a brand new car with 2k miles on it. I'm not fully sure I believe it is the skip shift causing the issues because skip shift is not suppose to activate under most of the conditions the car is experiancing problems in.

Anyone else having these issues? Insight? Advice? Much appreciated.
Hello CandyRed2012,

Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can review this for you and escalate it if needed.

Deysha
Old 10/17/12, 09:43 PM
V6 Member

Candy: you can avoid the grief by ordering a customer tune from outfits such as American Muscle. They completely do away with the stupid skip shift. Skip shift if a fuel economy trick that Ford uses to boost supposed mpg and to keep the emissions folks at bay. Ford will not and cant disable skip ship...you will not get satisfaction under warranty. Deysha can tell you this herself, Now, if there really is a mechanical problem not related to skipshift, they will fix it.
Old 10/18/12, 12:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011mustanggt
Candy: you can avoid the grief by ordering a customer tune from outfits such as American Muscle. They completely do away with the stupid skip shift. Skip shift if a fuel economy trick that Ford uses to boost supposed mpg and to keep the emissions folks at bay. Ford will not and cant disable skip ship...you will not get satisfaction under warranty. Deysha can tell you this herself, Now, if there really is a mechanical problem not related to skipshift, they will fix it.
Except a tune will void the warranty which you probably don't want to do. Regardless, this problem can't be a skip-shift only thing - that's a more serious one that definitely needs to be escalated, which it is thanks to Deysha.
Old 10/18/12, 04:49 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Save yourself some headaches...just unplug the skip shift...free...easy....no warranty issues. Not the first or last time one does something to a car that one shouldn't have to.
Old 10/18/12, 09:52 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by AzPete
Save yourself some headaches...just unplug the skip shift...free...easy....no warranty issues. Not the first or last time one does something to a car that one shouldn't have to.
+1......
Old 10/19/12, 07:20 AM
GT Member

Path of least resistance, disconnect skip shift and begin to "enjoy" your car!
Old 10/19/12, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by 2011mustanggt
Originally Posted by kylerohde
Except a tune will void the warranty which you probably don't want to do. Regardless, this problem can't be a skip-shift only thing - that's a more serious one that definitely needs to be escalated, which it is thanks to Deysha.
Thank you for the mention, guys. You're welcome, kylerohde. I can't wait to know you have your ride back to 100% so you can fully enjoy it. Have a nice weekend!

Deysha
Old 10/20/12, 05:27 AM
GT Member

How do you disconnect skip shift? And is this on V-6 as well as the GT?
Old 10/27/12, 02:27 PM

Ok, here is an update on this problem.

After my car was at the Ford dealership for about 2 weeks, I finally got my car back. And much to my dismay the problem increased instead of decreasing. It will now lock out of gear under lower RPM's when going into 3rd gear. Plus it still has the original problem of locking out of 3rd and 4th under higher RPMs as well.

I took it to another Ford dealership that is 15 minutes away due to the location I originally bought the car from being a little over an 1.5 hours away. This new dealership kept my car for 2 days and said they where unable to get the car to duplicate the problem. I get my car back and it does it 3 times in one day. And now my skip shift is not working.

I jacked up the passenger side of the car and low and behold they had unplugged the skip shift.

I am absolutely livid at this point. For one the dealership should have never unplugged it without asking or telling me they where doing it. And again because obviously at this point it is not the skip shift causing the locking out of gear issues because it isn't even plugged in.

Ford customer care has tried to call me and I have tried to call them back but have not been able to touch base with them on the phone as of yet. I am hoping I will be able to reach someone monday so we can get this issue resolved.
Old 10/27/12, 02:29 PM

Also note: Skip shift WAS working when it came home from the dealership that replaced the skip shift. So I know they where not the ones who had unplugged it.
Old 10/29/12, 07:25 AM

Ford customer care has tried to call me and I have tried to call them back but have not been able to touch base with them on the phone as of yet. I am hoping I will be able to reach someone monday so we can get this issue resolved.
Is there a better time or number to contact you, CandyRed2012?

Deysha
Old 11/1/12, 03:00 PM

Another Update:

I have since spoken with the Customer service rep on multiple occasions. Unfortunately we are still not able to resolve this issue.

I went out to the Ford dealer today where I bought the car. My husband took the Service manager for a drive. Duplicated the issue twice. And they came back and told me they are unable to do anything further as Ford will not authorize repair work. The representative on the phone said he is unable to do anything unless the car is closer to being lemon lawed out. And the dealership can only have a field service representative inspect the car and do further diagnostics on it at this time. From what I understand once they inspect the car they will then be able to give the order for repairs at their discretion.
Old 11/2/12, 10:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Very frustrating. Which dealer is this ?
Old 11/5/12, 06:35 AM

Another Update:
I have since spoken with the Customer service rep on multiple occasions. Unfortunately we are still not able to resolve this issue.
I went out to the Ford dealer today where I bought the car. My husband took the Service manager for a drive. Duplicated the issue twice. And they came back and told me they are unable to do anything further as Ford will not authorize repair work. The representative on the phone said he is unable to do anything unless the car is closer to being lemon lawed out. And the dealership can only have a field service representative inspect the car and do further diagnostics on it at this time. From what I understand once they inspect the car they will then be able to give the order for repairs at their discretion.
That’s good, CandyRed2012. The Field Service Engineer will be able to look at your vehicle and advise your dealer of the repairs needed for your vehicle. Make sure you stay in contact with your CSM if anything new arises.

Deysha
Old 11/11/12, 05:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Candy - I feel your pain nothing like loving a nice stang and the issues that take way to long to correct. I was at a Ford Dealer in MA and spotted an awesome black 2013 with 3500 miles so I too it for a spin and after 2 miles I stopped at a light went to take off then hit 2nd and it did not go in (no grinding) had to pull over and then start off again - is this a common FORD issue as if it is I will keep my '07 GT/CS

Last edited by pilatti1; 11/11/12 at 05:43 AM.
Old 12/4/12, 12:59 PM

So to make a very long story short. I am extremely unhappy with Ford's customer service. They have tried to bury this car so that they do not have to fix it. The field service engineer who came out to look at the car, could not get it to duplicate the problem on the day he came out (so he says). In fact the only thing he managed to do was attempt to destroy the car by downshifting 5th to 2nd and having the rear of the car almost come off the ground due to him missing 4th. In an attempt to get the car to duplicate the problem, he got a passcode for a local dealerships test track, and had me take it out there, then he told Ford Corporate that the car was being raced and he was going to void the warranty. Granted it was his idea to try it on the test track, as I would have never known they had one if it wasn't for him.

Ford Corporate - An individual much higher up than the service rep that I originally spoke to thanks to someone on here, openly LIED to us on multiple occasions. Stating that the dealer in Cambridge never got the car to duplicate the problem, even though the manager out in Cambridge called and spoke with the Ford rep that contacted me due to this thread on this site - They also stated that they do not record phone calls - even though their voice recording states they do and on a number of occasions when speaking with Ford customer care, they have told me they were recording the conversation. So the conversation the dealership had with the Ford rep evidently disappeared.

At this point, I am so fed up with Ford's ****ty customer service and run around we have been getting that we are trading in the Mustang on a NON-Ford product.

Due to these issues with the Mustang and the fact we have a 2013 Escape that was 4 month late in arriving due to 2 recalls (Brake failure, and possibe engine fires) that is now being recalled AGAIN due to another issue causing possible engine fires, we will not be buying another Ford in the future.
Old 12/4/12, 02:06 PM
GT Member

So to make a very long story short. I am extremely unhappy with Ford's customer service. They have tried to bury this car so that they do not have to fix it. The field service engineer who came out to look at the car, could not get it to duplicate the problem on the day he came out (so he says). In fact the only thing he managed to do was attempt to destroy the car by downshifting 5th to 2nd and having the rear of the car almost come off the ground due to him missing 4th. In an attempt to get the car to duplicate the problem, he got a passcode for a local dealerships test track, and had me take it out there, then he told Ford Corporate that the car was being raced and he was going to void the warranty. Granted it was his idea to try it on the test track, as I would have never known they had one if it wasn't for him.

Ford Corporate - An individual much higher up than the service rep that I originally spoke to thanks to someone on here, openly LIED to us on multiple occasions. Stating that the dealer in Cambridge never got the car to duplicate the problem, even though the manager out in Cambridge called and spoke with the Ford rep that contacted me due to this thread on this site - They also stated that they do not record phone calls - even though their voice recording states they do and on a number of occasions when speaking with Ford customer care, they have told me they were recording the conversation. So the conversation the dealership had with the Ford rep evidently disappeared.

At this point, I am so fed up with Ford's ****ty customer service and run around we have been getting that we are trading in the Mustang on a NON-Ford product.

Due to these issues with the Mustang and the fact we have a 2013 Escape that was 4 month late in arriving due to 2 recalls (Brake failure, and possibe engine fires) that is now being recalled AGAIN due to another issue causing possible engine fires, we will not be buying another Ford in the future.
I suppose if I post much more than this, I will be flamed. However, my experience has also left me with a very bad taste in my mouth.. I feel your pain.

I hope things work out for you. I would advise that you seek legal action if you feel mistreated. Be aware though, it is a very long, meticulous, drawn out process. But it may offer some relief in the end.

Also, you may want to get the car tuned as a last ditch effort. Not a race tune or anything crazy, just an aftermarket remap (Bama/SCT). I heard skip shift can cause these types of issues and it can be fixed from a simple tune.
Old 12/4/12, 02:48 PM

We have looked at getting this car lemon lawed. And have contacted a lawyer. We just do not have the time or patience to continually deal with a company that knows how to get around honoring their warranty. They have left out details on service orders. Failed to do write ups on a couple occasions when the car was taken in for service. Phone call conversations either A - not recorded or B - Magically disappeared.

If we have the car tuned, or basically do anything to it at all, they will void the warranty.

After many conversations with the individual in Corporate, they had agreed to pull the transmission for inspection, but there were no guarantees they would find or fix the problem. And after a week of my car sitting at the dealership untouched, I have finally just had enough. I am tired of being lied to.

If you do enough research online, there are TONS of these cars having the same issues. It's no longer worth my time and effort trying to get them to make it right. I have kids that ride around with me in this car, I'm not going to put their lives in danger due to the off chance it won't go in gear when trying to turn in traffic.

When the issue is noted by a dealership there should be no further questions, it should be taken in and fixed. If they can't fix it, then they need to be honest with me and tell me they don't know how to fix it and come to another type of agreement.

As of tomorrow this car will be someone else's problem as it will be traded in. Unfortunately for the next owner, once they found out we were going to trade it in, corporate has decided to not pull the transmission and try to find the issue.

Quick Reply: 2012 6spd transmission issues