Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2011 V6 Automatic transmission noise

Search this Thread

Old 11/30/11, 11:20 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by alfaromeo
Power train warranty would be 5 years if I remember correctly. So I think you still have couple of years.
Correct, alfaromeo! The Powertrain warranty is for 5 years or 60,000 miles.

Deysha
Old 6/5/12, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to revive an 'old as heck thread', but my brand new 2013 V6 auto is doing the exact same thing as stated previously... apparently, the issue hasn't been fixed. I'm going to take it in to the dealer this week to see what they say. There are no recalls on this particular issue yet?
Old 1/7/13, 06:42 PM

I just purchased a new 2012 Mustang V6 and it is displaying the exact same behavior that everyone else on the thread is describing. So far I have only 600 miles on the car, but I don't feel that the transmission behaves normally. There is a consistently demonstrable thump from the rear when I come to a stop and up shifting into second hear the nose of the car drops and there is another thump. I definitely don't feel like this is normal and I am going to take the vehicle in within the week.
Old 1/8/13, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by BrennT
I just purchased a new 2012 Mustang V6 and it is displaying the exact same behavior that everyone else on the thread is describing. So far I have only 600 miles on the car, but I don't feel that the transmission behaves normally. There is a consistently demonstrable thump from the rear when I come to a stop and up shifting into second hear the nose of the car drops and there is another thump. I definitely don't feel like this is normal and I am going to take the vehicle in within the week.
Hello BrennT,

Welcome to the forum! My name is Deysha with Ford Service, and I still recommend you bring your vehicle in to your Ford dealer for diagnosis. Then, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can escalate this to the customer service manager for your area.

Deysha
Old 1/22/13, 08:20 PM

2011 V-6 Automatic Transmission Problems

Hello out there. We purchased a new 2011 mustang. We have 27,600 miles on it and are experiencing problems. Mustang is currently at the dealer in Austin, Texas. So far they cant duplicate issue. Transmission is slipping and making a grinding sound. We notice a slight vibration comming from the middle to rear of car. Unknown source. Now its slipping from time to time. It seems to do this from lower speeds. Any info. Please contact.
Old 1/24/13, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by MustangTx
Hello out there. We purchased a new 2011 mustang. We have 27,600 miles on it and are experiencing problems. Mustang is currently at the dealer in Austin, Texas. So far they cant duplicate issue. Transmission is slipping and making a grinding sound. We notice a slight vibration comming from the middle to rear of car. Unknown source. Now its slipping from time to time. It seems to do this from lower speeds. Any info. Please contact.
Hi MustangTx,

Welcome to the forum! I’d like to escalate this for you as well. I need you to PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can help.

Deysha
Old 2/1/13, 12:48 PM

Update on the 2011 V-6 auto-transmission 27,900 miles - We got mustang back last week. The dealer replace the Torque Converter. Last year they replace the solenoid. This week the transmision is starting to slip again and now I can hear a new tapping sound comming from underneath the vehicle. It does this only in gear. The transmission is still not running right. Tomorrow, we will take it back to the dealership again. Not Happy.
Old 2/4/13, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by MustangTx
Update on the 2011 V-6 auto-transmission 27,900 miles - We got mustang back last week. The dealer replace the Torque Converter. Last year they replace the solenoid. This week the transmision is starting to slip again and now I can hear a new tapping sound comming from underneath the vehicle. It does this only in gear. The transmission is still not running right. Tomorrow, we will take it back to the dealership again. Not Happy.
Thank you for getting back to me. I'll send you a response as soon as possible.

Deysha
Old 2/18/13, 06:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

I finally took our 2011 V6 Automatic to the dealer today for the hard felt thump from the transmission when it downshifts from 2nd gear to 1st gear when giving slight throttle just before coming to a stop, like when the street light turns green and there's no need to complete the stop. Our stang has roughly 22,000 miles and its been doing this since we took delivery when it was new. Apparently this was good timing, as there's a new TSB to reprogram the PCM, which is TSB 13-02-03. So far so good! Seems to be shifting very well. However, I can't find any details on the new TSB.
Old 2/19/13, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by SoFlaBoss
I finally took our 2011 V6 Automatic to the dealer today for the hard felt thump from the transmission when it downshifts from 2nd gear to 1st gear when giving slight throttle just before coming to a stop, like when the street light turns green and there's no need to complete the stop. Our stang has roughly 22,000 miles and its been doing this since we took delivery when it was new. Apparently this was good timing, as there's a new TSB to reprogram the PCM, which is TSB 13-02-03. So far so good! Seems to be shifting very well. However, I can't find any details on the new TSB.
Thank you for the update, SoFlaBoss!

Deysha
Old 3/13/13, 05:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Bringing this thread up again, as my 2012 with near 26,000 miles is still having this problem.

When I had the car at the dealer back around near new, at 4000 miles, to have the converter and pump replaced due to noise/whine in gear, I tried to have them address the 2-1 downshift issue as well, but was told that they could not duplicate it.

Now that I have put 20k+ more miles on the car, the issue has remained and is the same, not better or worse. I'm was hoping more people had this issue reported and corrected so the shift issue with mine could hopefully get fixed.

It looks like the 6R80 transmissions are very solid, but the shift issues are present in the Ford Truck forums as well, so this appears to be minor quality issue across the board from the manufacturer.
Old 3/13/13, 05:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm shocked of how many people have this problem
Old 3/19/13, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by kn7671
Bringing this thread up again, as my 2012 with near 26,000 miles is still having this problem.

When I had the car at the dealer back around near new, at 4000 miles, to have the converter and pump replaced due to noise/whine in gear, I tried to have them address the 2-1 downshift issue as well, but was told that they could not duplicate it.

Now that I have put 20k+ more miles on the car, the issue has remained and is the same, not better or worse. I'm was hoping more people had this issue reported and corrected so the shift issue with mine could hopefully get fixed.
Let me get this escalated to the customer service manager for your area, kn7671. Please, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can help.

Deysha
Old 9/1/13, 08:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know this thread is old but I've been having same problems with my 2011 v6 automatic mustang. Junking in 1st gear at take off slamming the rear end. Taking off in 2nd gear sometimes and trying to stall. Sometimes it sounds and feels like the rear end is going to fall out it jerks so hard. There is no way this can be good for the tranny or most of all the rear end. Here's the kicker...has been in shop with 2 different dealerships 8 different times for the tranny! Solenoids replaced, differential shimmed,lead frame replaced, flashed everytime I took it and problem still exist.I have only 27,000 miles on this car. Many Ford reps have been notified but nothing still not done to fix problem! I don't think this tranny can be fixed. Ford is using China junk trannys..it's their own fault! Arbitration is now setup with Ford because I want a buy back with lemon law. If nothing comes of that then I have a lawyer waiting on the sideline. I'm tired of making payments on this junk car and Ford is not stepping up to the plate to resolve it. Gave them more than enough chances to fix it. It's has been blamed on my driving...one dealer said it's normal...come on! Service manager told us to just drive it on the highway and try to avoid side streets for stop & go. I like to feel out from that comment! Just a copout for not knowing how to fix. Ford customer service is very,very bad so I'm done with ford products.I want my money back on this lemon! People with these problems had better speak up now! I know it's wide spread. Some people are just dealing with it or even trading the car off to get rid of problem. Make ford step up to this! SPEAK UP!
Old 9/3/13, 07:13 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Spasticdog
I know this thread is old but I've been having same problems with my 2011 v6 automatic mustang. Junking in 1st gear at take off slamming the rear end. Taking off in 2nd gear sometimes and trying to stall. Sometimes it sounds and feels like the rear end is going to fall out it jerks so hard. There is no way this can be good for the tranny or most of all the rear end. Here's the kicker...has been in shop with 2 different dealerships 8 different times for the tranny! Solenoids replaced, differential shimmed,lead frame replaced, flashed everytime I took it and problem still exist.I have only 27,000 miles on this car. Many Ford reps have been notified but nothing still not done to fix problem! I don't think this tranny can be fixed. Ford is using China junk trannys..it's their own fault! Arbitration is now setup with Ford because I want a buy back with lemon law. If nothing comes of that then I have a lawyer waiting on the sideline. I'm tired of making payments on this junk car and Ford is not stepping up to the plate to resolve it. Gave them more than enough chances to fix it. It's has been blamed on my driving...one dealer said it's normal...come on! Service manager told us to just drive it on the highway and try to avoid side streets for stop & go. I like to feel out from that comment! Just a copout for not knowing how to fix. Ford customer service is very,very bad so I'm done with ford products.I want my money back on this lemon! People with these problems had better speak up now! I know it's wide spread. Some people are just dealing with it or even trading the car off to get rid of problem. Make ford step up to this! SPEAK UP!
u mad bro?
Old 9/4/13, 08:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by texastboneking
u mad bro?
Would you be if it was your car & wasn't fixed after 8 times in the shop?
Old 9/6/13, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Spasticdog
I know this thread is old but I've been having same problems with my 2011 v6 automatic mustang. Junking in 1st gear at take off slamming the rear end. Taking off in 2nd gear sometimes and trying to stall. Sometimes it sounds and feels like the rear end is going to fall out it jerks so hard. There is no way this can be good for the tranny or most of all the rear end. Here's the kicker...has been in shop with 2 different dealerships 8 different times for the tranny! Solenoids replaced, differential shimmed,lead frame replaced, flashed every time I took it and problem still exist.I have only 27,000 miles on this car. Many Ford reps have been notified but nothing still not done to fix problem!...
Since you've taken the legal route I won't be able to assist, Spasticdog. I hope everything gets resolved soon.

Deysha
Old 10/15/13, 05:45 AM

Just Past the 60000 miles at 60157 om my 2011 V6. Something real strange happened the yellow wrench light came on and it acted like it wasn't in gear! Managed to pull over and turned it off and started it back up and it went away. I went straight to the dealer and they said they didn't see the problem but the guy pulled me to the side and said it will happened again so bring it back he has seen this before. SMH! Don't know what to think about this one......
Old 10/15/13, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Icemann07
Just Past the 60000 miles at 60157 om my 2011 V6. Something real strange happened the yellow wrench light came on and it acted like it wasn't in gear! Managed to pull over and turned it off and started it back up and it went away. I went straight to the dealer and they said they didn't see the problem but the guy pulled me to the side and said it will happened again so bring it back he has seen this before. SMH! Don't know what to think about this one......
Hi Icemann07,

Not sure if you saw my other post, but I recommend you definitely stay in touch with your service manager regarding your this concern. They’ll be able to let you know if work or replacement is needed and whether there is coverage available (warranty, recall, etc.). Please keep me updated.

Deysha
Old 10/24/13, 10:00 AM

Same Issue... 2013 mustang v6 AT clunks when comming to a stop, and a slightly louder clunk when making rolling stops. I drove a 2014 mustang that just came into the dealership and it doesnt have the same problem.. will take it into service soon.

Quick Reply: 2011 V6 Automatic transmission noise