Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2011 V6 Automatic transmission noise

Search this Thread

Old 12/26/10, 03:31 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 V6 Automatic transmission noise

I hear and feel a clunk of my tranny from time to time right before I come to a full stop. Is this normal? It doesn't seem to affect anything. The car drives great but the noise concerns me. My 08 Shelby Mustang is an automatic and does not make any kind of noise. It doesn't happen all the time but it makes this kinda clunky noise from time to time right before I come to a stop. Thanks.
Old 12/26/10, 04:24 PM
Bullitt Member

My '11 GT does the same thing. I know of another local '11 GT that does as well. We've both been to the dealer who has assured us that it's normal on these new autos.
Old 12/26/10, 04:34 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Mine does this also. If you take it to the dealer, be sure to come back and let us know what they say
Old 12/26/10, 04:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
IMHO, which is uneducated of course, the trans is probably down shifting. It could be similar to the clunk sound in the '05-'10 4.6 stick cars which was related to the two piece drive shaft.

Don't know if this is the case but it's possible.
Old 12/26/10, 09:41 PM
GT Member

Thanks for the feedback. I am not going to rush to the dealer since their are a few others experiencing the same thing. I will however ask the dealer about it when I take it in for my next oil service. If I didn't hear anything similar I would be a little more worried. It sounds like we just have a noisy transmission from time to time. I remember using a Superchips Tuner on my old 2002 Power Stroke Diesel with an automatic transmission and with the custom tune it made my shift points have a similar clunk. I later decided to go back to the stock tune because I didn't like the clunking noise. Thanks again. "Keep on Chooglin' "
Old 12/27/10, 08:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Hey guys, back in the day there was a white graphet grease applied to the spline on the drive shaft and the noise would go away.
Old 12/27/10, 05:56 PM
GT Member

Thanks for that info about the spline. I will share that with the dealer.
Old 12/28/10, 02:07 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi,

Yes, mine has the same problem. 2011 mustang gt with 3.15 rear. It's happening when it goes from 2nd to 1st downshift. Sometimes it will do it from 1 to 2 but that's rare.

These new autos have more clutch packs so it might just be one making noise. Unless you're getting jerking or bouncing, it's prolly not an issue. I'm just gunna wait and see if there's ever gunna be a TSB on it or something.

But everyone, let us know if you find anything.
Old 1/8/11, 08:10 PM

Tranny clunking!

I have a mustang automatic V6 2011 and have experienced the same clunking problem when it downshifts from 2 to 1.

Took it to the dealer and he had the transmission guy
ride around with me (of course it didn't do it)

He said that he never heard of this problem yet, but
that I should mention it at my first oil change so they
could run a diagnostic on the tranny. He thought maybe
the computer controlling the shifting might need a soft
ware rev update. I'm going in in Feb,2011, so I'll
let you guys know what happens,
Old 1/19/11, 12:17 PM

I have an 2011 GT and it has this problem as well I have a service appointment scheduled for this Sunday so I'll update on the outcome. My transmission also had a really bad/loud clunk when I put it in reverse but over the last 8 weeks it has slowly disappeared and now is completely gone, anyone have something similar happen?
Old 1/28/11, 11:11 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
/bump

Anyone find anything? My car now has 11,800 miles and in the past few days, the clunking is happening more and is getting louder. Hope it's not an internal part of the tranny and more like a drive shaft issue where the drive shaft is moving because the transmission has more leverage on the drive line in the 1st and 2nd gears. I'd hate to have my car tore apart.
Old 2/4/11, 07:03 PM

Clunk when stopping

Hi:
The clunk you hear is the transmission downshifting to first when coming to a stop. the only problem is that it is downshifting too soon. It should downshift when stopped. You should not hear or feel it downshift. I have problems with my transmission other than that but that is one of the things it does before the other problems take place. The reason I know this is because during the many times my car has been back to the dealer, one time they flashed the Power Control module which incorporates the transmission module, the car shifted flawlessly. No harsh downshift, no late upshift, no clunk in reverse, until it screwed up again and 2 days before it went out putting on the check engine light, the harsh downshift when stopping started in again. So, its not normal and they are having problems with a part called a LEAD FRAME in the transmission of which they have come out with a revised part that I am now waiting for. When this transmission is working properly it shifts beautifully both up and down. The problem is an intermittent one so it will be difficult to get your dealer to experience it. Hopefully they will come out with a TSB for this problem because many Mustang owners are haveing problems. its not too good for the rear end to drop into first before the car stops, nor is it good for the transmission. Thats like using lower gears to stop your car. Brakes are a lot cheaper than transmissions. They tried to tell me there was nothing wrong and that it was normal until I went there with my blue mechanics uniform on with tools in my back pocket. They changed their tune. Dont let it slide because its not normal.
Old 2/15/11, 10:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 Mustang GT Automatic transmission problems

I am also having problems with harsh downshifts, and also hesitation when leaving from a stop, (which I believe is that the trans is still in second gear) and then lurching forward. I also have a problem with the car downshifting at 70 mph when I let off the throttle. 3 trips to dealer, of course it would not demonstrate the problem, so they deny the problem and state have never heard of this kind of problem. This is Ford of Ocala, FL. I have read of this same problem on the F150 forums, but they seem to have found the software fix for it. Called Ford cust service they referred me back to the dealer. Great service huh? I hope this doesn't decrease my transmission life. Because, as we all know it won't break until it is out of warranty. Someone mentioned to me to call channel nine action news. And, I am seriously considering it. I will continue to persue this and will keep all posted.
Old 2/18/11, 07:58 AM

UPDATE transmission problems

I received a call on monday from a ford rep advising me that an appointment had been made for me at Gainesville Ford in Gainesville, Florida. On thursday (Feb 17, 2011) I brought the car in and spoke to sevice writer (Mark Riffee) and found him to be knowledgeable (a far cry from most service writers) and expressed his willingness to do whatever it takes to fix this problem. He had a rental car ready for me (NO CHARGE) and knew exactly what my (transmission) problems were. How refreshing no denials. This is the type of service, not matter what the outcome that makes me want to go back for future service. Hopefully my car will be repaired properly and that will be the end of it. Will keep you posted..
Old 2/23/11, 09:16 AM

Automatic transmission problems

UPDATE Tue Feb 22, 2011

Brought in my baby and put Him of the hands of Mr. Mark Riffe. He had my loaner there and all went well. Came back the next day (Feb 18) and spoke with Mark about what his transmission mechanic found. Road tested fine, no codes, I already had the latest software updates loaded properly , he cleared the KAM. He road tested all was fine. The general service manager drove it after the KAM reset, and it was fine. Guess what it's fine! I haven't had the problem reappear (yet). Today is Feb 22. I have driven it to Gainesville several times, and around town. All feels well. That aside. This is the hardest
car that I have ever owned, not to put my foot into, or rip around a corner. The automatic transmission is a bonus. This transmission is perfect when you are on it.
Note: I don't beat on my engine just drive it spirited, about once a week. Now corners ........
Old 3/3/11, 10:44 AM

thelastsumuai
We having transmition problem also
We have our mustang in Lakeland Auto Mall ford dealer since yesterday same problem. They did say they reset the kam and found a problem. Valve body problem. pressure test it today and it may need valve body replaced.

Last edited by FloridaGail; 3/3/11 at 10:46 AM.
Old 3/5/11, 02:29 AM

Auto Trans Problems

So far they have replaced 3 lead frames on the valve body of the trans one of which was a revised one, but that didnt work, now they were told by ford engineers to replace the 4 pins on the connector of the harness. I dont think this is going to work because im still getting the harsh downshift to first when comming to a stop and thats the sign that the problem still exists. Ill know in about 100 miles when it falls out of gear and trips the check engine light. I got them to admit that they are having sparatic problems. If they say that, you know they are having more than sparatic problems, they are having real problems but they all have different symptoms, thats why they cant find a fix. They better hope they do, 2012 is right around the corner.
Old 3/11/11, 07:36 AM

Update,
I got my Car back after 7 days, and returned the free rental, the warrantly bill was 3900.00. I paid zero, It is driving wonderful now.
This is what the bill said, they replaced main control and direct clutch pack, removed trans, bench mount and tear down . assemble trans and replaced damaged parts, replaced main control. updated pcm to accept new solenoid strategy and id
Old 3/15/11, 08:31 PM

Thats great news. Glad to hear it. Now you can enjoy your ride.. Dont blow it up. LOL
Old 3/29/11, 07:34 PM
V6 Member

I haven't kept up with this thread for a while, but it sounds like the loud clunking/clicking that occurs when coming to a stop, or slowing down to stop but then speeding back up, is a rough 2-1 downshift. And that it is indeed not normal, and could be indicative of later transmission trouble.

I mentioned this to my Ford dealer service department a while back, and was told 'wait until 15,000 miles - it has to do with the adaptive shifting strategy'... which I know is probably crap.

I might try and take it in, in a week or two and see if they can't do something about it.

Quick Reply: 2011 V6 Automatic transmission noise