Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2011 gt keeps overheating at idle??

Old 5/14/19, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 gt keeps overheating at idle??

So my 2011 mustang gt will occasionally overheat on a hot day at idle I already changed the thermostat and it still overheats anyone know why??
Old 5/14/19, 12:52 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Is the fan coming on?
Old 5/14/19, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by SpectreH
Is the fan coming on?
Yeah I think so I'm not sure if it's on when it starts overheating when ever it over heats I try to drive it as fast as possible so it can cool down I never had a chance to get out and look at it
Old 5/14/19, 02:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,018 Posts
yep most likely the fan is not coming on, or not coming on soon enough

there are two fan speed settings, hi and low, which kick on at a defined temperature which can be adjusted in the tune -- so if you installed a new tune shortly before this started happening, that could be the cause (but most tunes turn them on sooner rather than later)

otherwise it is probably the relay, if I remember correctly from other threads I have seen on here -- you should be able to find them, with the details, using "search" feature

one quick and easy way to test: turn on the A/C; the fan should come on when the A/C is on . . . if you let it idle with the hood open it could take a while but that is the best test
Old 5/16/19, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Bert
yep most likely the fan is not coming on, or not coming on soon enough

there are two fan speed settings, hi and low, which kick on at a defined temperature which can be adjusted in the tune -- so if you installed a new tune shortly before this started happening, that could be the cause (but most tunes turn them on sooner rather than later)

otherwise it is probably the relay, if I remember correctly from other threads I have seen on here -- you should be able to find them, with the details, using "search" feature

one quick and easy way to test: turn on the A/C; the fan should come on when the A/C is on . . . if you let it idle with the hood open it could take a while but that is the best test
Thank you very much I will try that and hope that's the problem