Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

ALMOST Overheating.

Search this Thread

Old 7/1/06, 11:04 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ALMOST Overheating.

So I live in Chicago where the summers can get pretty humid and hot. I have been driving my fox lately and the temp gauge is at the top line right before the overheating 270 degree red line. It is still in the normal range, but it has been operating hotter than usual. It usually would operate at the middle line or a little below the middle line. So I replaced the thermostat with a new one (Motorcraft) and started it up again of course topping off my coolant again. When I went to go drive about ten miles or so. It is back up to that 2nd to last line again. I checked for leaks and I am leak free. My coolant is clean also. Almost looks like it has been never used but it is hot after it has been running so I do know it has been through the engine. My resevoir (sp?) shows me I am at a good level too. I am hoping it is not a bad water pump. I have the stock plastic white fan. Any suggestions on what it might be?
Oh yeah and my Fox is a '93 5.0L GT.
Sorry for the long post but I wanted to give you a full picture.

Thanks in advance. Have a good holiday weekend!!!
Old 7/2/06, 05:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Do you still have the original fan and clutch??? My car was doing the same thing and my fan needed to be replaced. I also replaced the water pump at the same time and the car runs fine now.
Old 7/2/06, 09:44 PM
GT Member

yeah I do have the stock fan and clutch.

is there any way I can test the fan clutch?
Old 7/3/06, 06:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Stix66

Not sure, I ended up just taking mine to a mechanic. You could get a repair manual like Haynes and I'm sure it would show you how to test it.
Old 7/3/06, 02:22 PM
GT Member

cool I will check it out, thanks for the help!
Old 7/4/06, 08:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

When your engine is completely cold, spin your fan as hard as you can. If it makes more than 5 revolutions, probably your fan is gone. It's regulated by a valve that opens and closes, which contains silicone in the assembly. Have a look to see if there is any silicone fluid oozing past the bearing seal on the clutch. If so, it needs to be replaced. Hope this helps!
Old 7/4/06, 09:17 PM
GT Member

Awesome that is a good tip. I will remember this.

But I am happy to announce that the problem is solved. The thermostat WAS the problem. And I cleaned off the temperature sensor in the Radiator Coolant overflow tank. Now it my temp gauge is not budging past the middle line in the NORMAL zone.

Thanks for the help and great advice. I love this website.

Happy 4th!
Old 7/5/06, 09:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Glad you found the problem. But I'm curious! Was it a dud, or just the wrong degree thermostat? If you don't get the proper one, your temp. would run on the high side.
Old 7/5/06, 01:34 PM
V6 Member

Awesome that is a good tip. I will remember this.

But I am happy to announce that the problem is solved. The thermostat WAS the problem. And I cleaned off the temperature sensor in the Radiator Coolant overflow tank. Now it my temp gauge is not budging past the middle line in the NORMAL zone.

Thanks for the help and great advice. I love this website.

Happy 4th!
That's not a temp sensor in the overflow - it's a coolant level sensor...
Old 7/5/06, 10:00 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 93Cobra#2771
That's not a temp sensor in the overflow - it's a coolant level sensor...
Durr I am dumb ... well anyways it had some debris on it; not that I thought it had to do anything with my problem I just took it out and cleaned it.

But yeah my other thermostat just didnt open at the right temp anymore. I tested it in some hot water with a thermometer. I guess it was old. It was never changed before until now that I know of. The one I bought to replace it I guess it was a dud. It was rated for 195 degrees. I just took it back to the Ford dealership, they gave me another and it worked fine.

As long as the car runs ok now I am not questioning on why that new one was a dud... lol.
Old 3/7/08, 07:31 PM

small water leak problem HELP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a small coolant leak just behind the dist. between the lower intake and block near driver side head mating area.It looks like its coming from the way they sealed the lower intake because the rubber end seal is kinda crooked and I was wondering could that be what the problem is.The leak isnt severe and the LCL light hasnt came on, but the coolant level drops over time or normal driving.If it were the end seal would coolant come from there?Also I think it might effect the temp.sens. in a way because of the bumpy idle maybe its from the pressure loss of the leak and the computer adjusts the timing accordingly.The coolant reservoir is not in use because its broke off inside the fender so the pressure is not closed off.Thanks.
Old 3/26/08, 09:14 PM
Cobra Member

well, I would first fix the coolant reservoir you're talking about, which I think you mean the overflow? Thats very important to use that, not to mention that you have pressure in the coolant system, that way you can see what happens when you do have pressure. Then I would look at the gasket that you say is leaking on the lower intake, its probably ruined...I would also check all the radiator hoses and make sure you don't have any leaks in the hoses or at the connections...you may be able to find the answer then