Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2010 V6 Mustang, Wet Key Fob

Search this Thread

Old 3/4/14, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 V6 Mustang, Wet Key Fob

New to this site. Looking for assistance for my daughter's car.
2010 V6, auto trans, 85K miles, Out of Warranty....
The other day, she left her ignition key on the roof of her car for several hours, in a driving rain storm. Needless to say, the key was soaked.

After opening the key and drying it out, the key malfunctions (I know, what a shock)
The door lock/unlock, the panic button, and the trunk button do not work.

The immediate good news was that the car started....but, two days later, there have been intermittent times when the car will not start.
The red anti-theft light on the dash lights up...no start....

Wait a while, try again, and it starts...not sure why....
Did some research, found out that the key fob battery may need replacing...did that...no difference....
Found out that the key may need to be reprogrammed...did that, was able to get the car into program mode (ie: switching the key on an off 8 times, etc)...but, you apparently need the second key to complete the programming process. As luck would have it, she lost the other key (Another issue for another day)...So, unable to complete the re-program process...No difference

Found out that removing the positive terminal from the car's battery will reset the computer...tried that, the car STARTS Yay, finally some good news.
But, not sure how long that will last.
The key fob still does not lock/unlock the doors, nor do the panic and truck functions operate....sounds like the key is dead.
Headed to the Ford dealer next to get TWO replacement keys? Not sure what that will cost yet, although I know it will be steep.
Anything else I can try???
Thanks for any input.
Old 3/4/14, 08:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
To me it sounds as if your wetted key is on its way to join the choir invisible. It is soon to be an ex-key.

Since you have but one key, you'll eventually find yourself at the dealer for the expensive programming and such witchcraft. EbaY offers a number of less-expensive keys, many of which actually mimic the Ford items and can be useful for making the two or three spares you will be motivated to construct after the costly lesson. But you have to have two useful keys to do that part.

I actually ran one of mine through a complete washer-dryer cycle, with no ill effects. Subsequently I read that the best way to deal with a wet key is to bake it dry at a low heat.
Old 3/5/14, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by frank s
To me it sounds as if your wetted key is on its way to join the choir invisible. It is soon to be an ex-key.

Since you have but one key, you'll eventually find yourself at the dealer for the expensive programming and such witchcraft. EbaY offers a number of less-expensive keys, many of which actually mimic the Ford items and can be useful for making the two or three spares you will be motivated to construct after the costly lesson. But you have to have two useful keys to do that part.

I actually ran one of mine through a complete washer-dryer cycle, with no ill effects. Subsequently I read that the best way to deal with a wet key is to bake it dry at a low heat.
Thx for the input
Old 3/11/14, 09:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Yep, the previous responses are correct, based on what I know. Without two good keys, you're stuck at the dealer, unfortunately.