Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

temporary tablet mod

Search this Thread

Old 1/22/14, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It looks like it is now available for order.

http://idlehandsmfg.com/products
Old 1/24/14, 05:02 AM

Good morning. Just placed my order for my 2014 GT last night to replace my 2000 GT.

Has anyone received their mounts? I am curious how the fit/finish is from one mustang to another.

Looks like a great clean option opposed to the $2,300 navigation screen.

Thanks for the help!
Jon
Old 1/27/14, 04:41 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got mine in today. Looks great in a 2014. I only did a test fit have not installed the magnets.

temporary tablet mod-image-2404964303.jpg
Old 1/28/14, 09:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
mine came in yesterday (monday) but the **** mailman coudlnt find it on his truck! So now i have to go on my lunch break and get it from post office.
Old 1/28/14, 09:08 AM

Do you think the build quality warrants the price? I am considering ordering this.
Old 1/28/14, 12:58 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
how hard is installign the magnets
Old 1/28/14, 02:37 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by CiniZter
how hard is installign the magnets
I'm sure someone else will get to that before me. It is way to flippin' cold outside to play in the garage.

Should not be too hard. They are somewhere between nickel and quarter sized with a thin 3M tape for mounting. From what I have seen, getting behind the faceplate for the radio would be pulling up the center console starting at the cup holders forward. Then 2 screws are exposed at the bottom. That is only based on "YouTube experience" not actually having done it
Old 1/28/14, 09:40 PM
Bullitt Member

it was VERY easy to install the magnets, they have an adhesive to theme already, peel off the plastic and put the magnets on. took me all of 5 minutes.

oh, and the build quality is incredible.

Old 1/29/14, 06:08 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

^ looks cool.. could you post more pics..
Old 1/29/14, 07:58 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by DeeJayTJ
it was VERY easy to install the magnets, they have an adhesive to theme already, peel off the plastic and put the magnets on. took me all of 5 minutes.

One thing that I noticed about the production version vs. the one off in the video. The profile looks to be significantly slimmer. In the YouTube video the unit seems to stick out from the dash a bit. The production version is pretty much flush to where the dash wraps around the radio faceplate.

Agree on the build quality. It really does look OE.
Old 1/29/14, 08:24 AM

How involved was removing the bezel to place the magnets?
Old 1/29/14, 08:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by clc4912
How involved was removing the bezel to place the magnets?
unscrew shift ****, open glovebox (whatever u call it in center console), open cup holder slightly so you can get a good grip and pull it up and then eventually pop whole top piece of console off.

disconnect wire harness at trunk switch on console next to shifter.

remove 2 screws holding radio bezel in place.

pull radio out and disconnect 1 harness at lower bottom right. (this harness is what connects buttons to radio)

the magnets basically stick up against a hole on the backside near the top, then the 2 bottom magnets stick up against an alignment peg that holds the radio bezel in place.

very easy....
Old 1/29/14, 10:37 AM
Bullitt Member

I would say that is very nice. A Ipad mini is 8 inches ? That is not a bad setup at all. You also keep the sync functions. Man not bad at all.

I ended up going with a Kenwood setup, but in truth I could have went this direction as well. I do wonder how well it would stay in place under hard acceleration though....

Get the OBDII dongle and buy the Trq app and your in business with the rest of it.
Old 1/29/14, 10:46 AM
CVH
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ninjak
I would say that is very nice. A Ipad mini is 8 inches ? That is not a bad setup at all. You also keep the sync functions. Man not bad at all.

I ended up going with a Kenwood setup, but in truth I could have went this direction as well. I do wonder how well it would stay in place under hard acceleration though....

Get the OBDII dongle and buy the Trq app and your in business with the rest of it.
I use the dashCommand app and the goPoint dongle for my setup.
I highly recommend this dongle over the Chinese versions.
They stay on 100% of the time and will kill your battery not to mention the horrible latency and compatibility with apps.
Old 1/30/14, 03:11 PM
Bullitt Member

lol i dont have a shelby so i dont have THAT much power, but i gave it some hella hard acceleration yesterday and it didnt move not one bit, but i did not fly over any steep hills like Steve McQueen in Bullitt so i dont know.
Old 1/31/14, 08:46 AM
Bullitt Member

lol i dont have a shelby so i dont have THAT much power, but i gave it some hella hard acceleration yesterday and it didnt move not one bit, but i did not fly over any steep hills like Steve McQueen in Bullitt so i dont know.
Lol ! I do wonder how it would hold up to my 1/4 launches......

The only thing I can see that would fall short would be playing the Sat radio(if you have one). That cannot be done through bluetooth audio, unless you use the Siruis app...which costs extra I believe.

Other than that I would say that is a solid mod for those who want to toss a tablet in.

Last edited by Ninjak; 1/31/14 at 08:54 AM.
Old 1/31/14, 08:55 AM

Lol !

The only thing I can see that would fall short would be playing the Sat radio(if you have one). That cannot be done through bluetooth audio, unless you use the Siruis app...which costs extra I believe.

Other than that I would say that is a solid mod for those who want to toss a tablet in.
All of your original stereo features would continue to work with the tablet mod to include satellite radio if you had it previously. However, I could see where controlling the satellite radio would be a problem. I have sirius internet for an additional $3 a month and it is worth every penny.
Old 1/31/14, 09:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Now only if they made the kit to fit the Regular I-Pad
Old 1/31/14, 10:36 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

^ with regular ipad it might look like tesla.. it looks good in tesla though not sure about stangs
Old 1/31/14, 12:02 PM
CVH
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by CiniZter
^ with regular ipad it might look like tesla.. it looks good in tesla though not sure about stangs
It looks great with a full size iPad4 HD
Attached Thumbnails temporary tablet mod-image-3073119903.jpg   temporary tablet mod-image-3640752348.jpg  

Quick Reply: temporary tablet mod