Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

~ Tablet Mod Round 2 (7.0 PLus Galaxy)

Search this Thread

Old 7/2/13, 08:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StangLife'12
As said before I do not have an iphone (Im using samsung galaxy), so I can not help you with that specifically. I do not use my phone in teh car at all not even hooked up tot snyc due to the fact that no one can ever hear me anyways on teh microphone sync uses.

Anyhow, on my galaxy it gives me the opion to use the phone for audio media, phone or both. I just unclick the audio media option....I have no issues with it connecting to BT on the tablet.
Yeah I looked into this and the Iphone doesnt allow you to do this. I might just have to disconnect my phone and use the tablet and hope no one calls me while im driving haha.

Originally Posted by ColSaulTigh
If you are connecting both the phone and the tablet via Bluetooth, SYNC will only connect to one device at a time, and I believe it will only accept the "Primary" device if it's present. You will need to connect the tablet via USB and the phone via Bluetooth.

There is a thread that shows how to tap the 2nd "Secret" USB port on the SYNC module (above the glove box behind the dash. It's super easy...)
Yeah I read that thread about this and was looking into this BUT the Galaxy wont charge properly via USB cable. You have to be charging with a Samsung cable and car charger so I think that SYNC USB wont be an option. But I will give it a try.

Thanks for the info. Keep any and all ideas coming.
Matthew
Old 7/3/13, 06:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Matt's 95 Stang
Yeah I read that thread about this and was looking into this BUT the Galaxy wont charge properly via USB cable. You have to be charging with a Samsung cable and car charger so I think that SYNC USB wont be an option. But I will give it a try.

Thanks for the info. Keep any and all ideas coming.
Matthew
Not true...mine does it just fine.
Old 7/3/13, 11:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not true...mine does it just fine.
It depends on the USB cable itself. Some are data-only, some are charge + data.

Make sure you have a dual use cable.
Old 7/10/13, 02:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Report:
..I think this new version is phenomenal and is really working well! I re-did the CF trim piece with a new thicker material underneath and it looks really good (No bubbling) I also added an Anti-Glar screen protector and it made the screen look really nice!

What did you use underneath the CF to make it so smooth? I have my stereo out right now and am looking at where I want to cut and such.

Matthew
Old 7/12/13, 06:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

What did you use underneath the CF to make it so smooth? I have my stereo out right now and am looking at where I want to cut and such.

Matthew
I used a thick plastic material to "trim" the hole I cut. Its actually a piece of plastic school folder you buy at walmart!

DONT Cut the hole too big! Only just slightly larger than the LED screen on the tablet!
You dont want to cut the inner pieces to match teh width of the top edge of teh original hole for the preset buttons. that whole should be your furthest right/left points.
like this picture, notice the ink marks...

Name:  DSCN0323.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  164.3 KB

Last edited by Nocturnal'14; 7/12/13 at 06:34 AM.
Old 7/12/13, 06:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ColSaulTigh
It depends on the USB cable itself. Some are data-only, some are charge + data.

Make sure you have a dual use cable.
That's not true. All USB cables are created equally as far as charge/data. If your device has issues charging it's because they've limited it to only accept certain ampere or the charger you're using isn't putting out enough amps to counter the battery drain occurring. I believe most phones won't charge unless it's 2 amps. Tablets are 3+

Last edited by Rando; 7/12/13 at 06:56 AM.
Old 7/12/13, 08:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Rando
That's not true. All USB cables are created equally as far as charge/data. If your device has issues charging it's because they've limited it to only accept certain ampere or the charger you're using isn't putting out enough amps to counter the battery drain occurring. I believe most phones won't charge unless it's 2 amps. Tablets are 3+
http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...ata-cable.html

This is what I was referring to (having the data pins shorted vs. not).
Old 7/20/13, 11:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Well StangLife I got the tablet in, wired the power switch to the center and its all good. Now I have to learn how to use Tasker to get it to turn the screen on and off when the car gets turned on and off (can that be done?), and how to get it to connect to SYNC without me having to do it manualy. Any pointers?

Thanks
Old 7/21/13, 06:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well StangLife I got the tablet in, wired the power switch to the center and its all good. Now I have to learn how to use Tasker to get it to turn the screen on and off when the car gets turned on and off (can that be done?), and how to get it to connect to SYNC without me having to do it manualy. Any pointers?

Thanks
Tasker will not control the tablet on/off...however you can set the "state" up to "any power" and name the profile what you want it to do...turn car on - screen display indefinite & Airplane mode off.
Turn car off - screen display 7 sec & airplane mode on.

With the new software on the tablet it will not currently connect to bluetooth automatically. HOWEVER, taskers new update has better blutooth control functions I have not messed with.

Once you turn the car on and the tasker turns off airplane mode thus bluetooth on...give it a couple min before trying to connect the "blutooth audio" via the sync button.
Old 7/22/13, 11:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Tasker will not control the tablet on/off...however you can set the "state" up to "any power" and name the profile what you want it to do...turn car on - screen display indefinite & Airplane mode off.
Turn car off - screen display 7 sec & airplane mode on.

With the new software on the tablet it will not currently connect to bluetooth automatically. HOWEVER, taskers new update has better blutooth control functions I have not messed with.

Once you turn the car on and the tasker turns off airplane mode thus bluetooth on...give it a couple min before trying to connect the "blutooth audio" via the sync button.
Ok thanks. I hope you dont mind but I might be bombarding you with questions about tasket interface and such. I will try to play with it as much as possible so you dont end up wanting to kill me but.... Maybe have to use PMs as to not cluter up this tread.
Old 7/25/13, 11:47 AM
Bullitt Member

About 95% done!

So I almost finished my install yesterday. Decided to wrap the face plate and center area with CF wrap as I kicked the face plate while cutting it . Guess my hands aren't as steady as they use to be. Anyway here you go.

[IMG][/IMG]

Let me say that I'm not sure how Stanglife made out but this mod is not for the faint of heart. I used wooden BBQ skewers and a hot glue gun in ways that would make Henry Ford roll over in his grave .

I am using 3 apps that I bought on Google Play.
First for GPS is CoPilot ($5.99)
Second for music is RocketMusic or something like that (free)
Third to transfer my music from Itunes to the tablet over wifi (do I dont have to take the tablet out ever time I buy new music) is iSyncr for iTunes - PC users ($4). Works great and transfered all my music without any problems.
Old 7/26/13, 07:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

So I almost finished my install yesterday. Decided to wrap the face plate and center area with CF wrap as I kicked the face plate while cutting it . Guess my hands aren't as steady as they use to be. Anyway here you go.

Let me say that I'm not sure how Stanglife made out but this mod is not for the faint of heart. I used wooden BBQ skewers and a hot glue gun in ways that would make Henry Ford roll over in his grave .

I am using 3 apps that I bought on Google Play.
First for GPS is CoPilot ($5.99)
Second for music is RocketMusic or something like that (free)
Third to transfer my music from Itunes to the tablet over wifi (do I dont have to take the tablet out ever time I buy new music) is iSyncr for iTunes - PC users ($4). Works great and transfered all my music without any problems.
Looks pretty decent man. I am using Kies Air to transfer my music...works great for me! Glad you got it all buttoned up, how are you liking it?

Any problems with charging? Sometimes when my tablet gets real low on juice I turn it off using my self made on/off button (which I see you elected not to do) This allows the tablet to charge quicker and I can still use my FM radio to listen to music.

I have noticed that if the tablet is off and I start the car then turn the tablet ON it automatically connects to bluetooth...hmmmm.
I see you also elected to cut your bezel more than I did (Larger hole) thats the way I did my first one, but the second Tablet mod I did I thought it woudl look cleaner with just teh size of the screen showing.

Last edited by Nocturnal'14; 7/26/13 at 07:57 AM.
Old 7/26/13, 04:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
wow, I really like the look there! Excellent job!
Old 7/27/13, 08:36 AM
Bullitt Member

[QUOTE=StangLife'12;6662490]Looks pretty decent man. I am using Kies Air to transfer my music...works great for me! Glad you got it all buttoned up, how are you liking it?
I am really liking it now that I have it installed.

Any problems with charging?
No problems with charging. I just leave it plugged in 24/7 and havent had any problems yet.
Sometimes when my tablet gets real low on juice I turn it off using my self made on/off button (which I see you elected not to do) I do have the on/off button its just really small and hard to see. I am going to have to redue it as its not worked as desired . This allows the tablet to charge quicker and I can still use my FM radio to listen to music.

I have noticed that if the tablet is off and I start the car then turn the tablet ON it automatically connects to bluetooth...hmmmm. Mine does the same thing. I just wait to hit about 15 seconds to power up my tablet and the B/T automatically connects.
I see you also elected to cut your bezel more than I did (Larger hole) thats the way I did my first one, but the second Tablet mod I did I thought it woudl look cleaner with just teh size of the screen showing.I agree it does look cleaner the way you did it I just couldnt get smooth lines so thats why I choose to cut a larger hole (plus that allows me to upgrade to a larger tab in the future if desired). [/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by zeroaviation
wow, I really like the look there! Excellent job!
Thanks!

Im thinking of getting these to kinda smooth the CF wrap around the corners of the controls as they dont look good how they are right now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261092003407...ht_1073wt_1161

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261092003407...ht_1073wt_1161

I just need to find one for the A/C, defrost area controls area. Make it all match.
Old 8/4/13, 06:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

nice job guys. you know if you used bondo or epoxy to straighten out the cuts and stuff, then sand it down smooth, you can just repaint the whole console covers instead of doing wraps. that's the way I would go if I did this project.
Old 8/4/13, 03:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by bones302
nice job guys. you know if you used bondo or epoxy to straighten out the cuts and stuff, then sand it down smooth, you can just repaint the whole console covers instead of doing wraps. that's the way I would go if I did this project.
I think I am going to end up having to do that. I was trying to avoid doing that as I have never worked with bondo before but I am not 100% happy with how the vinyal looks so bondo it is.

Matthew
Old 8/4/13, 05:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

I saw Matt's setup yesterday, it looks really nice! I dont know much about any of this stuff, so i cant comment on the specifics, but from a noobs(me) point of view, it looked awesome!

Especially since of you see the rest of his car, the vinyl wrap fits perfectly color wise
Old 8/6/13, 08:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks John.

Matthew
Old 8/6/13, 09:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
How many of you guys whom are doing this still have the HVAC controls in place?

All your lacking is just control of the ACM right?

-Matt
Old 8/8/13, 06:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by zeroaviation
How many of you guys whom are doing this still have the HVAC controls in place?

All your lacking is just control of the ACM right?

-Matt
All of my HVAC is still in place, didnt move anything. Im not sure what ACM means (Im guessing radio controls) but I did have to remove all the radio controls (volume, tunner, 1-10 buttons, Audio selector.

Matthew

Quick Reply: ~ Tablet Mod Round 2 (7.0 PLus Galaxy)