Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Shaker 500 conversion on base car almost done. Need help with VCM 2 clone tool!

Search this Thread

Old 1/3/15, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shaker 500 conversion on base car almost done. Need help with VCM 2 clone tool!

Hey guys, I have a 14 base that I did the full OEM Nav swap on. Since the nav was a Shaker unit I decided to go all in and try the conversion. Ive read a lot and all the threads go stale after speculation so I'm kind of out in left field here. Maybe we can figure this out for anyone else curious about it. During the Nav swap my dash harness was swapped to a 14 Nav harness. This gained 2 extra plugs for an amp that the base model was not equipped for. I ordered the amp and plugged it up. I now had sound from the 4 speakers the base car had although it was pretty bad. From my understanding the stock Shaker systems have high pass filters so I didn't have any mids-bass. Because I liked the premium door panel look I ordered a set of those as well and shaker subs were included. This is NOT plug and play on a 14 base. I replaced both complete door harnesses new from Ford from a 2014 Nav and Shaker car. All the plugs are there and connected now. The Shaker subs still don't work! Anyways, my question is I have a VCM 2 clone tool and the IDS software. I was going to try updating the ACM as built data. Maybe the Shaker door subs aren't enabled? I thought they would be because it was stock on the Nav system but who knows. My clone will not access the module programming section on the main screen, it did do PATS fine though when I swapped in a premium cluster. I'm missing a piece of the puzzle here and can't figure it out. Any ideas are appreciated. I know aftermarket is easier and better than the Shaker but I wanted the door panels and Nav anyways so I atleast want it to work after all this money. If it sounded like it did before I could deal with it, but like I mentioned above, the stock high pass filters built into the Shaker audio unit make it sound like a clock radio. I can't be too far away, but have no idea what else to replace/add/try. Thanks in advance!-Steve
Old 1/5/15, 10:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
i cant help you with the vcm2 as i've not even used mine yet.

however, incase you cant figure out what the deal is, i wired in some gt500 door panels with the subs to my base model and used a very small amp that i put in the kick panel area and are tied into the rear channels and tuned it up nicely along with my upgraded door speakers and man oh man it sounds great!
Old 1/5/15, 02:07 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You will not be able to update the Navigation ACM AS-BUILT when the ACM has been installed in an a Non-Nav car - this has been discussed in other threads. IDS will continue to only show Non-Nav As-Built fields which are totally different than the Nav fields.
Old 1/5/15, 02:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Contact Brad at 4Dtech. He may be able to help you.
Old 1/5/15, 08:06 PM

The dash harness and body harness are different
Old 1/18/15, 01:23 PM

Thanks for the help this far guys. I ordered the dash harness, amp, and door harnesses all from a 2014 with Shaker and Nav. Everything plugged right up like an OEM installation. I can't for the life of me figure out why the subs aren't working. Did I miss something else?
Old 4/8/15, 04:25 PM

The body harness is also different
Old 4/8/15, 06:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Did you install the Amps for the subs? You need to add those wires to your body harness going into the door.
LEXiiON
Old 4/9/15, 05:04 AM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Just throwing it out there, not sure if it there is any differences. My car has the Shaker Pro and there is a fuse that controls the sub. Is the fuse blocks the same on a car that didn't have a Pro system?

Should be fuse 20 (30a).
Old 4/9/15, 02:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dmhines
You will not be able to update the Navigation ACM AS-BUILT when the ACM has been installed in an a Non-Nav car - this has been discussed in other threads. IDS will continue to only show Non-Nav As-Built fields which are totally different than the Nav fields.
Actually, there is a Bug in IDS, its not having to do with if the NAV is installed in non NAV. This was addressed in 91.04 I think.

Originally Posted by jim010
Contact Brad at 4Dtech. He may be able to help you.
They can do it, they do Direct Memory Writes using a ISO protocol instead of using IDS.

-Matt
Old 7/27/15, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by cody14
The body harness is also different
Cody, what do you mean by different? I know the body harness is different for the Shaker Pro sub in the trunk, but I'm just trying to get the regular 8" door subs working. Have you done both harnesses and got the door speakers working?

Originally Posted by LEXiiON
Did you install the Amps for the subs? You need to add those wires to your body harness going into the door.
LEXiiON
Lex, on the 13-14 cars there is one large amp under the driver side kick plane area. I did get that amp and it matches up perfectly to the nav/shaker 2014 dash harness i installed. I know the 10-12 used 2 shaker front amps and then a rear one in the truck. actually got those out on the garage when i bought the nav swap from a 2012 car.
Originally Posted by tbone004
Just throwing it out there, not sure if it there is any differences. My car has the Shaker Pro and there is a fuse that controls the sub. Is the fuse blocks the same on a car that didn't have a Pro system?

Should be fuse 20 (30a).
I caught myself looking, but wouldn't hurt to double check! Thanks!

The weird thing is that its one amp that uses two plugs now and i have sound, but zero bass. the 8" door subs don't play but the upper door speakers and rears do. its making me crazy!
Old 7/28/15, 09:16 AM
GT Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought this on ebay and it has helped a lot. Well worth the money.
Old 8/7/15, 10:06 PM

Lex, do you happen to have any info on what wires I need to add to my body harness? I'm good with wiring. I'm the electrical technician at a GM dealer. I'm having a hard time finding Ford wiring schematics. I have a 2014 car, 2014 nav dash harness, 2014 door harnesses, and a 2014 shaker/nav amplifier all ordered with the same VIN number from a stock 14 Nav car. Originally my car was a base non shaker or sync car. The actual ACM/nav screen is from a 2012 Shelby. Do you think the ACM being a 2012 thats looking for two separate amps is having a hard time with the revised 13-14 single amp wiring? If replacing the body harness is the smoking gun in the equation I would def buy and install it. Its somewhat personal. An aftermarket amp wired in for the door subs only would have been much cheaper hundreds of dollars ago. Its somewhat personal now. Ha! Thanks for any and all help guys!-Steve
Old 8/7/15, 10:09 PM

I also forgot to mention, I have two plugs on the amp. One gray, one white. There is 3 plugs on the amp. The unused plug looks to be a small roughly 4-6 pin connector between the larger gray and white connectors. I can't find any confirmation online if it is used. I have however dismantled the drivers side of the dash/kick panel area looking for a plug for it to no avail.
Old 8/8/15, 05:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Afaik there is still an amp in the trunk for the speakers on 13-14 cars. You need to study the wiring diagrams. It still has the same part number as 10-12 NAV cars.
LEXiiON
Attached Thumbnails Shaker 500 conversion on base car almost done. Need help with VCM 2 clone tool!-image.jpg  

Last edited by LEXiiON; 8/8/15 at 05:28 AM.
Old 8/12/15, 02:21 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by LEXiiON
Afaik there is still an amp in the trunk for the speakers on 13-14 cars. You need to study the wiring diagrams. It still has the same part number as 10-12 NAV cars.
LEXiiON
Just an FYI, there is not a separate amp in the 2013 (and I assume 2014). That area is taken up by what I believe is the controller module for the tail lights (not certain what it really is, but it certainly isn't an amplifier).
Old 8/13/15, 11:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by forceflow2
Just an FYI, there is not a separate amp in the 2013 (and I assume 2014). That area is taken up by what I believe is the controller module for the tail lights (not certain what it really is, but it certainly isn't an amplifier).
Interesting. All models have the BCM in there on the back and I got the Amp from a 2014 car to finish my retrofit. So yes, 2013-14 do have something there. I don't have the VIN of the donor, so I am not sure what options this car had.

LEXiiON