Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Retrofitting the 4.2 LCD Track Apps cluster

Search this Thread

Old 2/19/17, 07:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

got the gauges in and wow what a difference it makes

All though my 1/4 mile speed/times may just be a bit off... either that or I'm ready for top fuel lol...
anyone have these issues?
Old 2/20/17, 12:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
This is most likely a problem in the ABS Module. As far as I know the abs module handles all track apps functionality.
Old 2/20/17, 06:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Marl_Boro
All though my 1/4 mile speed/times may just be a bit off... either that or I'm ready for top fuel lol...
anyone have these issues?
Dang - I'm not installing my Whipple after seeing this - just finishing the gauge install and calling it quits

Question - did you recalibrate the YAW sensor after the ABS module install?

In IDS under Program Module > Personality and select IVD. Click the Tick / Check. Follow the prompts on the screen and when done do another self test and clear any codes...
Old 2/21/17, 03:17 PM

Here's one for you guys... we are talking about a 2012 Base Convertible here... Just got a 2013 the cluster back from mileage reprogram... and installed it... all the button wiring works great... did the PATS... and when I turned the key back to ON...

I have the TrackApps menu and all items under it AND I "see" gauges under the gauges... now - I haven't started the car yet to know if the gauges move (can't drive it yet here in salt road NY - but will let it idle tomorrow) - but it should start as the security lock isn't blinking like crazy post PATS...

Any thoughts on how I would seem to have TrackApps without touching my ABS module?

I am planning on doing the select-a-shift too... as it's an auto - but I'm confused now

If when it starts the gauges are there - is it safe to assume the PCM is 2013 select-a-shift ready w/o me having to flash it or install / program the ABS?
Old 2/21/17, 08:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

I too had TrackApps without touching the ABS module, But I believe you will find that nothing in trackapps will work, Your Accelerometer will be stuck in the corner, and all your track times will say 188s. So you will still need the Abs module. Gauges will be there as well. However not all of them will function, I believe the Voltage one will. So you will need to flash your pcm for that.
The following users liked this post:
fishpick (2/22/17)
Old 2/22/17, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by awoychosky123
I too had TrackApps without touching the ABS module

Thanks for the quick response... I didn't know if I had some mid-year hybrid and things should go differently or not... knowing I'm not alone and that you had the same thing and finished the install to get things working correctly without issue is super useful!!!

I think I have said about 100 times - how did people do this before the internet... and then I remember rebuilding a 4 bbl carb on the kitchen table as a kid - because things were SIMPLER then
Old 2/22/17, 10:59 AM

ABS done and calibrated - PCM flashed to a 2013 donor VIN.
Now I get 3 DTC errors I clear that come right back for the IPC - 2 are "Lost Communication with Compass Module" and 1 is "Invalid Data Received from ECM/PCM"...

So close... does this mean there was something on the 2013 I borrowed the VIN for that's not in my car (like the compass module?) and the PCM is looking for it - or is this an IPC issue from the donor car - the IPC did NOT throw this DTC until after the PCM flash (if that matters)?
Old 2/22/17, 01:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

The compass module should be your rear view mirror. If you have a base car your mirror is not an auto dimming one and therefor will not have a compass module in it.
Old 2/22/17, 03:40 PM

Yup - VIN I used for PCM was Prem car... Base Verts are hard to come by... found one - used that VIN - error GONE!
Select-A-Shift shifter installed - works (except for the buttons...) - took plg end of wiring harness off the OLD shifter and spliced into a plug that fits the NEW shifter - short Male-Female pigtail connector...
Have the 3 leads electrical taped off so I can run the 3 wires up the to PCM (hopefully later this week) - and this project will be DONE!!!

Instructions and people around here are great!
Old 2/24/17, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by fishpick
Dang - I'm not installing my Whipple after seeing this - just finishing the gauge install and calling it quits

Question - did you recalibrate the YAW sensor after the ABS module install?

In IDS under Program Module > Personality and select IVD. Click the Tick / Check. Follow the prompts on the screen and when done do another self test and clear any codes...

thanks fishpick, no I had to go out of town for work and just got back. I will have to try that in the morning it seems simple enough
Old 2/24/17, 10:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Actually after looking at the DTC on your cluster it looks like you may have a bad ABS Module. I know i had a problem with the first ABS module i got out of a wreaker. Getting a new module fixed my problems, but I had the same DTC's on my cluster that you seem to have.

But try what fishpick suggested first.
Old 2/25/17, 10:38 AM

The DTC's are caused by a bad wheel speed sensor on the right rear tire that I am to lazy to crawl under and swap out, actually after talking to the previous owner it sounds like he may have just pulled the connector lol.

That being said it could be a reason that the abs module is misreporting the info as I have been looking in to that issue separately and the abs also controls the ESC/traction control and if there if a fault in either it sounds like neither will work but everything else works great so I'm not to worried about it too much. the track apps not working is probably saving me some speeding tickets anyways. lol
Old 2/25/17, 10:43 AM

Still looking for someone to help do this in California. Please send me a pm if you can help me.
Old 2/25/17, 10:48 AM

What year is your car? I just did my 14 but I don't have a whole lot of knowledge on the wiring of the 12's if you had to run wires but most everything else should be close
-Phil
Old 2/25/17, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Marl_Boro
What year is your car? I just did my 14 but I don't have a whole lot of knowledge on the wiring of the 12's if you had to run wires but most everything else should be close
-Phil
I have an 11. I bought my cluster already. Haven't bought a new ABS module, or the Ford PCM reprogrammer.
Old 2/25/17, 11:10 AM

sorry out of my that's a bit out of my realm but I know in this thread and the other thread that COYOTEHP started, a lot of guys with the 10-12's have just about smoothed out the process. the ABS module is easy remove, replace, reprogram I can help with that. you will need the as built data from a car as close to yours as possible with the options you have, again easy search eBay and other salvage sites for vins, the VCMII you can find on eBay or some other sites again fairly easy just got mine for about $150 as for the wiring and other needs that you car may not have had I am in the dark on sorry. but if you get stuck I would be more than happy to try to help.
Old 2/25/17, 11:13 AM

Thanks! Hopefully I can find someone locally that's done it so I can pay a rental fee of sorts for the vcm tool.
Old 2/25/17, 11:16 AM

Have you asked in the other thread as well I know a heck of a lot of the guys were out in Cali. hell I was almost going to plan a vacation out there so someone could help me with mine lol
Old 2/25/17, 08:24 PM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by LEXiiON
Can you please describe that again, step by step? I still have the "wrong" VIN in my PCM, and would like to get it back to the old one. I have to admit, it never bothered me, except recently with the Sync 4.6 update, as I can#t upload the XML for a successful update.

Thanks,

LEXiiON
Did you get the 4.6 update to even install? I keep getting the install file cannot be found on the root of the drive even though it is. Getting really frustrated with this update....lol.
Old 2/26/17, 06:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Kona12GT
Did you get the 4.6 update to even install? I keep getting the install file cannot be found on the root of the drive even though it is. Getting really frustrated with this update....lol.
Yeah I can't get 4.6 to install with my retrofitted nav system, get stuck in an infinite installation complete problem.

Quick Reply: Retrofitting the 4.2 LCD Track Apps cluster