Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Nav radio noise

Search this Thread

Old 9/20/14, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nav radio noise

So I retrofitted the factory touch screen radio with an aftermarket 5.1 channel amp and now I have a low volume high pitched noise. It's even more noticeable after I removed the barton two post bracket(less noise in the car). I had the head unit checked out at an electronics repair shop which told me it was good to go. I have the amp grounded in the trunk on the passenger side right behind the back seat. I've also added a dqdx which has a built in ground loop lift, and it helped but it's still very noticeable when the car is idling. I do get sound through all the speakers in the correct locations, I'm using kicker interconnects throughout, however they are about 3 feet too long so I just coiled them up separately. It only makes noise when the vehicle is running. Can anybody help me out? I'm about to go back the stock shaker! Seriously this noise is hella annoying
Old 9/20/14, 08:48 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
You have one of the following. A noisy cable. Not shielded or a bad connection. A ground loop a ground issue where some of the components do not have the same electrical ground. Cable to close to noisy lines. Try moving them away from places where noise exist. The wine sound like alternator wine. have you replaced the alternator? Oh yea check to make sure the antenna is grounded and the cable is good. By the way if you have extra long lines never coil them. That will act like an antenna. Spread them out and move them from any interference.

Last edited by Jazzman442; 9/20/14 at 08:50 AM.
Old 9/20/14, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jazzman442
You have one of the following. A noisy cable. Not shielded or a bad connection. A ground loop a ground issue where some of the components do not have the same electrical ground. Cable to close to noisy lines. Try moving them away from places where noise exist. The wine sound like alternator wine. have you replaced the alternator? Oh yea check to make sure the antenna is grounded and the cable is good. By the way if you have extra long lines never coil them. That will act like an antenna. Spread them out and move them from any interference.
The noise doesn't increase with engine speed, so I'm gonna rule out the alternator. I also routed the power wires along the passenger side, and signal along the drivers side, but that did not help the noise. If the head unit is putting out a balanced signal would that require a different set of RCAs?