'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

I know we keep talking about speakers

Search this Thread

Old 11/26/12 | 11:56 AM
Banned

I know we keep talking about speakers

But god the stock speakers are aweful. Things that I listen to at my computer (with my M-Audio studio monitors) sound nothing like how they do in the car. Old Santana is a good example. I can hear everything in the drums (without brightness) and the soft hum of the organ and the smooth mids of the guitar tracks, that just isn't in the Mustang. I get the lows, (and there is really good seperation in the Mustang) but anything past the mid bass and subwoofer is just muffled mud. I think the biggest issue is the equalizer. I can only make the sound BRIGHT, but I can't pull up the mids at all. The mids are somehow affected by the bass adjustment, but then it's overwhelmingly bassy.

I am one of those people that sort of likes having the OE radio and integration in there, but now I am clearly seeing the need for some sort of inline equalizer along with speaker upgrades.

FWIW, I have the Shaker Pro. It is good enough and adequate, but I do actually take an interest in my music and how it sounds. I prefer a real, accurate representation. (Stuff like organs and strings and piano are often where you can tell if speakers suck, because they fail to accurately reproduce their sounds)

Last edited by TheDivaDanielle; 11/26/12 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11/26/12 | 12:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Look into an Audison bit ten (or bit one), or the JBL MS-8. They are factory integration units that give you multiple band EQs for every channel and the MS-8 combines the processor with an 8ch amp too.
Old 11/26/12 | 06:44 PM
Cobra R Member

This will sound weird but equalization is normally only real a solution when proper equipment can't be selected. Even a parametric eq will still pull other frequencies slightly out of wack. Generally, of is preferred to keep the setting flat and correct your equipment. That way you hear the music the way it was intended.

If you want to improve your system, even a speaker upgrade may help. Something with a high sensitivity to work with the factory amp.

The "right" way would be an amp and better speakers. I would try speakers and see what you think.
Old 11/26/12 | 07:40 PM
Banned

laser, those are stupidly expensive!

Mr. V -- you are right, the general want would actually be a flat EQ.. that is true. I find that even with my studio monitors I boost the mids a bit, and the higher end just to bring out drums. I generally use the EQ as a tool to bring out the presence of instruments and voices. If you have good reproduction, you don't need to. The separation will be strong enough that you can close your eyes and clearly hear every instrument. every bit.

Last edited by TheDivaDanielle; 11/26/12 at 07:57 PM.
Old 11/26/12 | 09:59 PM
Bullitt Member

So all you need would be a MS-8 and that would allow you to add amps and new speakers and keep all the OEM intregration or do I need some other parts for the intregration?
Old 11/26/12 | 10:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by fgibbs
So all you need would be a MS-8 and that would allow you to add amps and new speakers and keep all the OEM intregration or do I need some other parts for the intregration?
Yes.

And processors aren't any more expensive than a CAI and tune. Gimme a break. People are so willing to pay top dollar for little gains on performance parts, but when it comes to their sound, instantly everyone becomes a cheapskate. Yes, you want a flat eq - in an optimal listening environment, which a car is NOT. Reflections and people's tastes vary widely. A processor gives you the flexibility to tailor the sound to your own tastes and your car. Just swapping the speakers is a crapshoot - you're still limited to the factory eq and bass/treble adjustments, and you don't know if they a) work for your ears, b) work well with your stock tuning, until they're installed.

The proper way is to do speakers AND amps AND a processor, but most of you aren't willing to pay to play for all of that. That's why I suggest just the processor, because you have a higher chance of tailoring your factory system to where you're happy with it, versus trial and error on buying, installing and uninstalling speaker sets that you can't try out until they're in your doors.

Last edited by laserred38; 11/27/12 at 08:15 PM.
Old 11/27/12 | 08:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Good advice...I plan on running a 3 way active setup up front and a sub out back with the JBL MS-8 pushing the tweets, JL Audio 600/4 HD and a JL 750/1 HD. I like the HD amps since they are small and light for sure. I am still undecided on the tweets, midrange, midbass...any suggestions? Sorry for the thread jack DIVA!!
Old 11/27/12 | 08:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Good advice...I plan on running a 3 way active setup up front and a sub out back with the JBL MS-8 pushing the tweets, JL Audio 600/4 HD and a JL 750/1 HD. I like the HD amps since they are small and light for sure. I am still undecided on the tweets, midrange, midbass...any suggestions? Sorry for the thread jack DIVA!!
That sounds like the beginnings of a good setup. The HD amps are solid, and like you said small and light, but pack a decent punch. What kind of music do you listen to? What's your budget? What kind of sound do you think you like (bright, mellow, etc)? What are your install plans? Set aside some money for deadener (and not just covering your doors and trunk with dynamat - I mean proper deadening techniques)?
Old 11/28/12 | 06:24 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

If you think yours sounds like crap.... I have the base system!!!
Old 11/28/12 | 07:41 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB
Same here
Old 11/28/12 | 07:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB
you ordered it that way! lol
Old 11/28/12 | 08:09 AM
Bullitt Member

I hope to install all of this myself...but will be a challenge since this is still my first active setup. I prefer a nice mellow true sound, however I listen mostly to rock, classic rock, alternative, heavy rock. Very rarely listen to anything else but like to have an option for it to sound good if I do. I certainly don't want to go overboard on the budget end but would be willing to spend 150-250 on each component I guess. As for deadening I have already ordered that first since I realize how important it is. I ordered from second skin audio some damplifier and some Luxury Liner pro MLV. So that along with some ensolite from rammat I should be good on deadening. However, I am still trying to figure out frequency ranges.
Old 11/28/12 | 09:39 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
you ordered it that way! lol
Agreed. I had a crappy system in my 2012 Boss302 and lived with it. I figure somewhere down the line in the near future I will upgrade the entire system. I'm just waiting for a dash kit that doesn't look like shyte first. So far no such kit exist. I'll wait for a bit longer. The car is a weekend play toy so I can deal with it for now.
Old 11/28/12 | 11:36 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I hope to install all of this myself...but will be a challenge since this is still my first active setup. I prefer a nice mellow true sound, however I listen mostly to rock, classic rock, alternative, heavy rock. Very rarely listen to anything else but like to have an option for it to sound good if I do. I certainly don't want to go overboard on the budget end but would be willing to spend 150-250 on each component I guess. As for deadening I have already ordered that first since I realize how important it is. I ordered from second skin audio some damplifier and some Luxury Liner pro MLV. So that along with some ensolite from rammat I should be good on deadening. However, I am still trying to figure out frequency ranges.
Sounds good. With that in mind, I'd look to Hertz or Dynaudio. They are typically more mellow sounding. You can also piece together components from madisound or partsexpress, but you have to know what to look for as far as the speakers' parameters. You could do an all Dayton Audio set up, as they also are known for a nice mellow sound and are decently priced. I have a complete Hertz setup in my Escape, and it sounds great on all kinds of music - I wish I went with the equivalent Focal setup though. I just got a better deal on the Hertz stuff.
Old 11/28/12 | 11:43 AM
Banned

laser, I appreciate all the help you have given me. I will simply start with 5.25" components and see what happens. I'll also see how my fiancee likes it. In the end though, I am not opposed to going with the Bit-1 and trying other things.. For now, though, I mean... hell... I ordered my car. I wanted the Shaker Pro. I might as well see how I can work with it before abandoning it.
Old 11/28/12 | 11:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

laser, I appreciate all the help you have given me. I will simply start with 5.25" components and see what happens. I'll also see how my fiancee likes it. In the end though, I am not opposed to going with the Bit-1 and trying other things.. For now, though, I mean... hell... I ordered my car. I wanted the Shaker Pro. I might as well see how I can work with it before abandoning it.
I hear ya. I tried to steer you away from the Pro option, as it was $1300 that could have been put towards aftermarket audio. A lot of people like to keep things OEM though, and I understand that. Sounds like a good start, but if you're going to use your factory speaker brackets like that other fellow, make sure to wrap the brackets with some deadener, and also the mounting point on the door (a nice rectangle around the opening will do). I cut a cross pattern in the speaker opening, then fold the excess over onto the inner door skin so I don't waste any material. That will give you a more solid mounting point versus plastic on metal - it will also strengthen the speaker brackets, as they will be weakened once you dremel the factory 5.25 and tweeter out of them.
Old 11/28/12 | 11:55 AM
Banned

I also knew it was the only way I'd be able to sneak a subwoofer in there. My fiancee refused to drive my GTO (it was cammed and even though it had similar power to the Mustang, it was much more "wild") and she hated the sub in the trunk.
Old 11/28/12 | 11:56 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

pic of gto?
Old 11/28/12 | 12:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I also knew it was the only way I'd be able to sneak a subwoofer in there. My fiancee refused to drive my GTO (it was cammed and even though it had similar power to the Mustang, it was much more "wild") and she hated the sub in the trunk.
Haha I see. Well if you do go the route of full upgrade, maybe you can reuse the factory sub box and keep the system somewhat hidden

Also, how was the response of your sub in the GTO? I know those things have horrible trunk designs with the gas tank and trunk being sealed off from the cabin like a convertible.
Old 11/28/12 | 12:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Flagstang
pic of gto?
Name:  P1010023.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  99.1 KB
Name:  smoke3.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  273.0 KB
Name:  gto1-1.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  85.0 KB
Name:  IMG_0050.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  163.3 KB

Comp Cams XR281 cam (228/230 .571/.573 lift on 112LSA)
Stainless Works Long Tubes
SLP 160* Thermostat
MSD Wires
Monster Stage 3 Clutch
Lightweight Flywheel
Ported intake and Throttlebody
Home made CAI (used left overs from JLT '06 Mustang CAI)
GM Motorsports "Street" Shifter
Lou's Short Stick Arm with Hurst ball.
35% window tint
19" G8 GT wheels
RK Sport Spoiler
2006 GTO Taillights
DDM 55w 4500k HIDs in headlights
DDM 35w 4500k HIDs in foglights
Klearz Black backed sidemarkers
Custom Catback, offroad mids, x-pipe, flowmaster american thunder mufflers

Among other mods............

Personal best in the 1/4 mile on street tires was a 12.48@118mph, nearly touched 11's on drag radials. 411rwhp/401tq

Owned it for Seven Years, from mile 4 to somewhere north of 85k.

Last edited by TheDivaDanielle; 11/28/12 at 12:58 PM.

Quick Reply: I know we keep talking about speakers