Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Has anyone added the 8" Kicker Door Subs to the Stock System?

Search this Thread

Old 4/3/13, 09:40 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Shelby/Kicker 8's are 4ohm speakers compared to the OEM 2ohm speakers.

So adding the Shelby/Kicker 8's will reduce the power that the amp puts out by half.

So just replacing the stock HU to an aftermarket will not do the trick. You will either have to go aftermarket amp or buy the Shelby/Kicker amp.

I have the Shelby/Kicker door speakers and door subs but I am still running the OEM Shaker 500 amp for the door subs.
Old 4/3/13, 12:40 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by BadHabit2Break

So adding the Shelby/Kicker 8's will reduce the power that the amp puts out by half.

So just replacing the stock HU to an aftermarket will not do the trick. You will either have to go aftermarket amp or buy the Shelby/Kicker amp.

I have the Shelby/Kicker door speakers and door subs but I am still running the OEM Shaker 500 amp for the door subs.
How do the door subs sound? Better? Worse? Worth it? I'm thinking of getting some for a clearer sound but don't want to go to a after market amp.
Old 4/3/13, 01:27 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by mac951
How do the door subs sound? Better? Worse? Worth it? I'm thinking of getting some for a clearer sound but don't want to go to a after market amp.
They are not as loud as the OEM subs. So there fore I have to say worse due to the lack of power from the OEM amp.
Old 4/3/13, 05:43 PM
GT Member

Gotcha, thanks for the reply btw!
Old 4/7/13, 11:51 AM

Can anyone tell me the specs on the Shelby Kicker 8's? Are they single voicecoil or dual and what is the Ohm rating per voicecoil? What is the power handling?

I'm thinking about replacing my door subs with a set of these, with an amplifier, but I don't see specs on the Shelby website.
Old 4/7/13, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by BadHabit2Break

My question was whether anyone had swapped the head unit and got the kicker subs. Sounds like you haven't... I get that the impedance is higher, and so the output will be lower. But the stock HU sends a pretty crappy signal, and my stock speakers sound a ton better with the new one. So I'm still wondering if anyone has an aftermarket HU and the Shelby 8's.
Old 4/17/13, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by iScream
Can anyone tell me the specs on the Shelby Kicker 8's? Are they single voicecoil or dual and what is the Ohm rating per voicecoil? What is the power handling?

I'm thinking about replacing my door subs with a set of these, with an amplifier, but I don't see specs on the Shelby website.
I'll answer my own question here. I called Shelby and they gave me a number to call Kicker. Not sure where BadHabit2Break got the info he posted above but Kicker says the door woofers ( can't bring myself to call them subwoofers ) are single voicecoil and they are 2 Ohm impedance. The power handling is 200 Watts RMS each.

I should have a set installed in about a month, driven by a little over 200 Watts per channel. I plan to bandpass them at something like 70 Hz to 200 Hz, depending on how it sounds and where I end up crossing over the sub I'm adding in the trunk.

If anyone is interested, I'll post back with how it turns out.

Last edited by iScream; 4/17/13 at 07:54 PM.
Old 4/17/13, 08:41 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by iScream

I'll answer my own question here. I called Shelby and they gave me a number to call Kicker. Not sure where BadHabit2Break got the info he posted above but Kicker says the door woofers ( can't bring myself to call them subwoofers ) are single voicecoil and they are 2 Ohm impedance. The power handling is 200 Watts RMS each.

I should have a set installed in about a month, driven by a little over 200 Watts per channel. I plan to bandpass them at something like 70 Hz to 200 Hz, depending on how it sounds and where I end up crossing over the sub I'm adding in the trunk.

If anyone is interested, I'll post back with how it turns out.
I'm very interested to hear/read what your results were. Good luck!
Old 1/24/14, 06:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
any updates on how the Shelby Kicker door "subs" sound. I am looking into getting them.