Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Has anyone added the 8" Kicker Door Subs to the Stock System?

Search this Thread

Old 9/2/11, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone added the 8" Kicker Door Subs to the Stock System?

I am running the JL CX 570x in my doors, but I am contemplating the Kicker 8" subs as well for the doors, all with the stock amps.

Is anyone running these units?

Thanks!

~Darren
Old 9/2/11, 08:06 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm really close to dropping the hammer on the Shelby/Kicker speaks, if and when I do I'll let you know how they sound.
Old 9/2/11, 10:49 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have em and like them. They are definitely more punchy than stock but less boomy. A worthwhile upgrade IMO.
Old 9/3/11, 06:29 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by LEwis26
I have em and like them. They are definitely more punchy than stock but less boomy. A worthwhile upgrade IMO.
What does that mean? I was told they would be clearer but not as loud, by Kicker.
Old 9/3/11, 08:14 PM
Cobra Member

They hit tighter and punchier. They don't give that booming airy sound the stock ones do. So they give you less rumbling bass but much clearer and controlled bass.
Old 9/4/11, 08:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Are they plug and play? Or do u have to add an amp?
Old 9/5/11, 07:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm contemplating buying these myself also, but haven't heard enough opinions whether there is a clear improvement or not.
Old 9/5/11, 09:01 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Gtstyles2

Are they plug and play? Or do u have to add an amp?
They use the stock amp. Theyres not plugs on the stock subs so you have to cut the wires, but it's really not a big deal and it's as close to plug and play as possible.

Forgot to take pics today. Will do this week.
Old 9/18/11, 03:26 PM
Bullitt Member

They use the stock amp. Theyres not plugs on the stock subs so you have to cut the wires, but it's really not a big deal and it's as close to plug and play as possible.

Forgot to take pics today. Will do this week.
Can u take pics of your door subs? I wanna see what they look like
Old 9/18/11, 05:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

Can u take pics of your door subs? I wanna see what they look like
https://themustangsource.com/f803/in...4/#post6120408
Old 9/19/11, 01:53 AM

I replaced all speakers on door and had 6x9s added in the rear All kicker and amplified . I had originally added only a 10" sub in the trunk with amp. However the door speakers sounded distorted when I would crank up the sound. I think if you want to keep it inexpensive just change the 5x7s on door . Of all the speakers I replaced the door 5x7s are paper thin and look really cheap. I think if you just change the door 5x7s you will more clear sound. I should have went that route first
Old 9/21/11, 09:11 AM
Cobra Member

Here are the photos of the Subs.

Old 9/22/11, 07:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Here are the photos of the Subs.
Cool, so u didn't have to add an amp to power these? Just splice and bolt in will do it??
Old 9/22/11, 07:41 AM
Cobra Member

Cool, so u didn't have to add an amp to power these? Just splice and bolt in will do it??
Correct. They run off the stock sub amp. They could definately take more power, but I dont think they would sound good in the doors with too much power.

Its a super easy install. Did these and front speakers in 45 minutes.
Old 9/22/11, 01:40 PM
Bullitt Member

What is the model number of these subs? Crutchfield shows six 8" Kicker subs on their site...I'm sure the DVC models are too deep, but of the others, not sure...

JR
Old 9/22/11, 01:56 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by godspunk32
What is the model number of these subs? Crutchfield shows six 8" Kicker subs on their site...I'm sure the DVC models are too deep, but of the others, not sure...

JR

No idea. You will need the kit with the correct spacer rings, and new grills to install it anyways.

Just buy the complete kit.

http://www.shelbystore.com/product-p/ka-8-woofer.htm

I got them from here:
http://www.championmustang.com/moder...ir-p-1839.html
Old 9/22/11, 02:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
These look like a great replacement for those subs. I wondered if anyone had made a specific replacement for these. Thanks for the information
Old 10/4/11, 01:23 PM

I went this route first. Replaced the 4 5X7s with Pioneer TSD6802Rs, replaced the subs with the Kickers. I was just not satisfied. The highs were not crisp enough even with Treble turned all the way up and the lows were too weak still, again with bass turned all the way up. For sure, it was an improvement over the stocks, anything would be. And, many could probably live just fine with those forever. But, I love to crank up the old classic rock, 80's rock and new wave and even some country every now and then while I drive, so I bit the bullet and put the Audio Control LCQ1 and JL Audio XD400/4 amp in over the weekend. In the doors, I swapped out the Pioneers for a set of Hertz HSK 130s. The 5 1/4s and the 1" tweeters fit in the 5X7 spot with a bit of custom work on the plate that came with the Hertz kit. Wiring was a real drag for the installers, and then tuning the LCQ1 and amp took another hour, but man what an improvement! Now the bass thumps when I want it to, but not when I don't. Those Kickers really like that extra power. The Hertz kit is amazingly clear and solid sounding. Best setup I have ever had in a car to date. Now, I need to get down to AudioLab again and get some Dynomat installed, I can rattle my doors open almost!
Old 10/28/11, 09:30 PM
V6 Member

Installed the Pioneer TSD6802Rs in the front (rear to follow) and also installed the Shelby Kicker 8" subs. The Pioneers are a nice improvement but I gotta say the Shelby's suck@ss. Before buying them I did read a few bad reviews to this effect but the vast majority said it was an improvement. I did call Kicker twice, once before and was told it would be better than stock and another afterwards, was then told that because of the higher impedance (vs stock) the result would be less output. Their output is really minimal at best, stock 8" subs definitely had much more output, perhaps it would be better if I added an aftermarket amp but I really didn't want to go this route. The grills are of poor quality as well. I did check the absolute polarity of the entire system (after the install), discovered the rears (which are still stock) is out of phase from the fronts, going to have to fix it when I install the rears. I know there are alot of you here do like them but this is one "upgrade" I actually regret.
Old 3/26/13, 01:52 PM

Did any of you who installed the Shelby system upgrade your head unit? I still have stock speakers all around, but with my JVC head unit the sound is much clearer and more controlled already. I'd imagine that since it has a full equalizer, as well as high and low-pass filters, it's delivering a much clearer signal, so the speakers respond. It's even been enough to cause rattles in the doors that weren't there with the factory system.

I'd be interested to know how much of the disappointment is a result of a lousy signal coming from the stock head unit.

Quick Reply: Has anyone added the 8" Kicker Door Subs to the Stock System?