'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Ford Sync makes me want to trade my GT

Search this Thread

Old 3/4/16, 01:31 PM
Ford In-Vehicle Technology Rep

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi MadcapMagician,

What's going on with your iPod and SYNC?

Rebecca
Old 3/4/16, 02:06 PM
GT Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
When I purchased the car last April, I was able to get my 16 pin iPod classic to connect via USB most of the time. It stopped working. I updated it. Master reset it, the works. I even thought perhaps if i used a lightning cable to 16 pin adapter that would help. My iPhone 6 works fine, most of the time. The majority of my music is on the iPod classic. Works great in my Chevy Express van, no issues.
Old 3/4/16, 03:13 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Amongst my clear coat flaked off wheels, engine tick, squeaky rear and brakes, and bubbling hood, I can honestly say I've had no trouble with my sync.
Old 3/4/16, 05:24 PM
V6 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Getportfolio
Amongst my clear coat flaked off wheels, engine tick, squeaky rear and brakes, and bubbling hood, I can honestly say I've had no trouble with my sync.
=======================

2013 GT 25,000 miles

factory 19" aluminum wheels with black painted windows - no faking yet

3 oz. zinc additive @ each oil change - no engine tick - yet

no brake squeaks - yet

ground wire from negative battery terminal to hood - no hood bubbles yet

and the SYNC works reasonably well - 98% of the time

Benz, Vette, Trans-Am, Volvo, Crossfire, Camaro, '69 Mustang, Datsun 280Z and numerous others.......THIS IS BY FAR THE MOST F U N CAR I HAVE EVER OWNED OR DRIVEN.

RWSRWS
Old 3/4/16, 05:55 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by RWSRWS
======================= 2013 GT 25,000 miles factory 19" aluminum wheels with black painted windows - no faking yet 3 oz. zinc additive @ each oil change - no engine tick - yet no brake squeaks - yet ground wire from negative battery terminal to hood - no hood bubbles yet and the SYNC works reasonably well - 98% of the time Benz, Vette, Trans-Am, Volvo, Crossfire, Camaro, '69 Mustang, Datsun 280Z and numerous others.......THIS IS BY FAR THE MOST F U N CAR I HAVE EVER OWNED OR DRIVEN. RWSRWS
You're due any day now
Old 3/4/16, 10:19 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Here is the Sync in my Probe. I have had no trouble with it! LMAO!

Old 3/6/16, 03:40 PM
GT Member

When I plug in my iPod classic, select source, the stereo says USB empty. I have tried different cables, etc. please advise
Old 3/7/16, 06:34 AM
Ford In-Vehicle Technology Rep

Originally Posted by MadcapMagician
When I purchased the car last April, I was able to get my 16 pin iPod classic to connect via USB most of the time. It stopped working. I updated it. Master reset it, the works. I even thought perhaps if i used a lightning cable to 16 pin adapter that would help. My iPhone 6 works fine, most of the time. The majority of my music is on the iPod classic. Works great in my Chevy Express van, no issues.
Hi MadcapMagician,

Are you able to play music via USB on your iPhone?

Shaay
Old 3/8/16, 05:35 AM
GT Member

Yes, it plays on the iPhone 6, but on the iPod classic the stereo says USB empty
Old 3/17/16, 09:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Samantha (the voice of SYNC) finally drove me over the edge. One last time I heard "SYNC has detected a problem, and has stopped communication with... Pandora." Rather than do my usual fussing to get Pandora working, I just turned on the radio and made an appointment to go car shopping at lunch.

Next day, I traded in the Mustang and bought my first Mercedes (the entry level CLA). I've been living with Benz's COMAND system a couple weeks now, and... this is the system that should have come in my Ford!

COMAND doesn't seem to have any problem at all interfacing with my phone (the same phone that gave SYNC fits). Also, if I'm playing Pandora and get out of the car, when I get back in it starts right back up where it left off.

Don't want to bash Ford- my 2014 GT was by far the best Mustang I've ever owned. I'd still be driving it if SYNC wasn't so absolutely horrible. Thankfully, I still have my 1965 Mustang (which has an audio system with a VERY simple interface :^). The techs here (and at my Ford dealer) were very pleasant in helping me load 3 updates to SYNC, but it just never worked.

My wife drives an F-150 that we'll be replacing next year, and- if Ford doesn't completely replace SYNC by then- we'll be going in another direction there as well. I love Ford, but I could go my entire life without ever hearing Samantha's voice again!
Old 3/17/16, 10:14 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 843 Posts
The only issue I have with SYNC is that it never remembers that I was listening to USB when I reconnect my phone. It goes to LINE IN instead. A work around I found that works 99% of the time is to not plug my phone into the usb cable until the navigation screen displays "Good Morning (afternoon, evening)". If I connect then, it goes back to USB and resumes where I left off. I've never tried Pandora, so no idea about that.
Old 3/17/16, 10:26 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
I have the base sync system and mine locks up all the time. It ALSO ALMOST always reverts back to radio when I restart the car. So freaking annoying, especially when it actually stays on USB or Bluetooth that ONE time ever month.
Old 3/17/16, 12:46 PM
V6 Member

My SYNC (2013) works well 93% of the time.

I keep a loaded memory stick plugged into my USB2 (glovebox)

Otherwise, the 2013 with the GT 500 axelbacks sounds way nicer, looks much better, (subjective) and is far more fun to drive, than any Mercedes I have ever owned, including the 300TD and the 420SEL.

The Benz's were quieter, smelled better, and were far more comfortable.
Love those sunroofs !

Totally different experience.

I'll take the "Stang with all her warts, hands down!

RWSRWS
Old 3/17/16, 09:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The Benz's were quieter, smelled better, and were far more comfortable.
Love those sunroofs! Totally different experience. I'll take the "Stang with all her warts, hands down!

I hear ya! It's only fair to point out the other aggravating factor in leaving the GT were my commute (which is 19 miles of bumper to bumper construction on I-35). Not much fun driving a sports suspension, manual, 400+ hp car through that every day!

Still, I could have tolerated it all if it weren't for Samantha!

In 3 years, the construction will be done, and I'll be looking to move into another irresponsible car (saving my pennies to get a used 2010 Aston Martin Vantage when it's time to turn in the Benz).
Old 3/18/16, 03:02 AM
V6 Member

by the way, the Silverhorse quarter window louvers do change the entire look of the car !

RWSRWS
Old 3/18/16, 04:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
"BLUETOOTH AUDIO"........................

"BLUETOOTH... AUDIO"........................

"BLUE-TOOTH... AUDIO"........................

"B-L-U-E-T-O-O-T-H..... A-U-D-I-O!!!!!"........................

Last edited by MADSCOTSMAN; 3/18/16 at 04:38 AM.
Old 3/18/16, 06:28 AM
V6 Member

OK here's an update.

After 4 years of faithful service, my iPhone 4S just died.

Picked up a new 6S two days ago and dreaded what might happen with the Ford Sync.

After the initial pairing and figuring out that I had two phones with the same name loaded in the system, I deleted them both yesterday, ultimately having to disconnect the car battery for a few moments to get a successful pairing.

Now with that done, everything seems to be working fine.

I don't understand why one SYNC would behave different from another.

Mine is fine.

My engine doesn't tick either, the factory warranted, upgraded lower control bushings are quiet, the factory warranted upgraded pinion seal does not leak and the factory replacement O ring on the timing sensor eliminated the check engine light.

To date other than oil changes & filters, I have spent zero on repairs, and Ford provided a free rental when they handled the lower control arm bushings.

She's not a Porsche, not an Audi, not a Lexus, Benz or a Jag, she's a MUSTANG !

Looks great and is ***** out fun to drive !

RWSRWS
Old 3/18/16, 06:46 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by MADSCOTSMAN
lol mine used to do that until I did the sync update. It did it again 6 months later, I pulled the Sync fuse for 3 minutes, and everything was fine again. Have you tried either of those? The latest Sync update is actually pretty good and remembers that I was on bluetooth audio every time I start the car, as long as nothing is plugged into the USB port
Old 3/18/16, 06:59 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Coyote5-0
lol mine used to do that until I did the sync update. It did it again 6 months later, I pulled the Sync fuse for 3 minutes, and everything was fine again. Have you tried either of those? The latest Sync update is actually pretty good and remembers that I was on bluetooth audio every time I start the car, as long as nothing is plugged into the USB port
Does yours still read texts and notify you that you have a text? I love how Bluetooth audio continues where I left off and even displays song titles and artists. I miss it reading my messages to me. That was a cool feature.
Old 3/18/16, 07:49 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 843 Posts
Mine still reads messages to me. I have an iPhone 5S.

Quick Reply: Ford Sync makes me want to trade my GT