Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Electronics 2014

Search this Thread

Old 5/30/15, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Electronics 2014

I just bought a 2014 GT Base and found out it does not have the SYNC nor the Navigation, i thought no biggie i can put that in later, i heard if you want that you need to change the wiring harness because the wiring harness on a base model it is different, i thought they would have had a standard wire harness with extra optional connectors to install such add on components, is anyone aware of this ?
so i need to find a 2014 Vin car that has a SYNC and Navigation system built in and have to purchase a wiring harness, SYNC module, navigation module ?

I also heard something along the lines of you can change out the base gauge cluster and can put in a Track dash cluster (this has all the options in it) and the dealership needs to do some programming on it ? i believe there is something on you-tube about it ?
Old 5/30/15, 09:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
You should refer to the stickied threads in this section to answer your questions. They are the stickied threads at the top. Many of your questions have already been answered in those threads.

You can also look at this thread for the sync:

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...530259/index6/

Last edited by jim010; 5/30/15 at 09:53 PM.
Old 6/1/15, 12:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by coreyplant
I just bought a 2014 GT Base and found out it does not have the SYNC nor the Navigation, i thought no biggie i can put that in later, i heard if you want that you need to change the wiring harness because the wiring harness on a base model it is different, i thought they would have had a standard wire harness with extra optional connectors to install such add on components, is anyone aware of this ?
so i need to find a 2014 Vin car that has a SYNC and Navigation system built in and have to purchase a wiring harness, SYNC module, navigation module ?

I also heard something along the lines of you can change out the base gauge cluster and can put in a Track dash cluster (this has all the options in it) and the dealership needs to do some programming on it ? i believe there is something on you-tube about it ?
there are MANY things you can do to either get sync and nav or something very similar.

definitely browse the forums here and see what everyone has done congrats on the new 2014!
Old 6/1/15, 01:25 PM

electronics 2014

Thanks guys I'll be searching around in here, and thank you very excited about my car, this car rips, the exhaust set up is wicked cool and every gear throws you into the seat, very happy with this car.
Old 6/1/15, 04:28 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
An aftermarket radio will definitely offer most or all of those features, likely better than the factory Ford system does. (It will certainly sound better...)
The only thing you may miss is some of the redundant steering wheel controls that the higher-end Ford systems offer. Not a big deal to me.
I also have a base GT, which I bought knowing I would ditch the stock system (I did not want to spend the extra $ on a higher-end Ford system that I would remove, anyway). I have not done the system, yet, but I will.

I do wish I had the upgraded gauge cluster, though, although I already bought a track-key, and would hate to have to pay to reprogram that.

Last edited by Springer200; 6/1/15 at 04:29 PM.
Old 6/1/15, 09:25 PM

is the track key you refer to the same as called an ADMIN key ? that unlocks some restrictive functions ? mine has a MYKEY and i need to purchase a ADMIN key to unlock and unrestrict some functions
Old 6/2/15, 08:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
you wont lose steering wheel controls by upgrading your radio, there are kits for that.

as for track key, thats different than "MYKEY" - mykey is something i think to limit the top speed incase you let your kids drive it or something. as where track key gives you a better sounding exhaust note and is a performance thing.
Old 6/2/15, 10:05 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by DeeJayTJ
you wont lose steering wheel controls by upgrading your radio, there are kits for that.

Yes, exactly. What I was referring to, though, is that the higher-end systems have additional buttons (and I assume functionality) on the steering wheel that the base system does not.
Old 6/2/15, 12:37 PM
V6 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Springer200
Yes, exactly. What I was referring to, though, is that the higher-end systems have additional buttons (and I assume functionality) on the steering wheel that the base system does not.
You can swap the button section for one with more options and the converters/adapters should handle the rest to give the correct comands to the aftermarket headunit.
Old 6/6/15, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by DeeJayTJ

as for track key, thats different than "MYKEY" - mykey is something i think to limit the top speed incase you let your kids drive it or something. as where track key gives you a better sounding exhaust note and is a performance thing.
I thought the "Track key" was only for the "Boss 302" cars, you can do that to a Mustang GT ?
I went to a couple of local Ford dealers and looked at 2013 Boss 302, they said it changes from the rear exhaust to the side exhaust and up the power a bit, is salesman right or wrong?
Old 6/6/15, 03:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Electronics 2014

Originally Posted by coreyplant
I thought the "Track key" was only for the "Boss 302" cars, you can do that to a Mustang GT ?
I went to a couple of local Ford dealers and looked at 2013 Boss 302, they said it changes from the rear exhaust to the side exhaust and up the power a bit, is salesman right or wrong?
Right but for the wrong reasons. There is a TracKey for certain GTs (2014.5 manual transmissions) that is similar to the Boss 302 TracKey.

The Boss 302 has an unmuffled side exit exhaust in addition to the rear exhaust. There is a restrictor plate which can be removed for full volume which is loud but not very loud. I would not expect any power gains from the side exhaust.
Old 6/6/15, 03:48 AM
V6 Member

Somewhat wrong. Probably just doesn't know a lot about cars. Typical...

If you have a manual transmission & your GT was built after 7/1/2013 (if I remember correctly), then you can buy the same Track Key that the Boss cars use.
Accd to Ford, the max HP number does not change, but it makes substantially more power in the midrange. (the power increase is substantial - I'll attest).
Also, it adds a "lopey idle mode" which makes the car sound like an overcammed 60's muscle car.

The Boss cars have a side-exiting exhaust (in addition to the rear) that enhances the lopey idle, and until recently, that was also available at the Ford parts dept (it is basically a mid-pipe swap). The key does not activate the side exiting exhaust, though, it just enhances the sound.
(There are blocking plates and restrictor plates that can be installed to shut the side exhaust off, or tone it down, although I have no idea why you would ever want to. LOL!)

Last edited by Springer200; 6/6/15 at 03:52 AM.
Old 6/7/15, 06:24 PM

ok, understand it now, thanks for the clarification guys.I did verify my car was built 11/14