Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Custom fiberglass sub box for the trunk

Search this Thread

Old 7/24/11, 11:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Custom fiberglass sub box for the trunk

I have been wanting to do a custom fiberglass box for a while now. So over the past 3 days I have knocked one out and wanted to see what yall think. It's far from finished as I actually think I have too much airspace. I'm going to be trying a few things over the next day to see if I can tune the box a little bit better and I will post the results here. Still needing to install the PAC AOEM-FRD24 which will eleminate the need for a high/low level comverter in the trunk to run the amps. Then I will have the ability to fade and add a 4 channel amplifier later. Right now all I have amped is the rear 6x9's and the Sub. Also my amp is way too big for my sub. Once I sell my 2 CVR's I'll buy a new sub that can handle more wattage. I measured from the brace where the factory amp is mounted in the trunk to where the board for the floor of the trunk starts. I want to still be able to raise that and get to my spare easily. Then I measured how long the face of the box needed to be and the height was already determined. Then I cut a piece of cardboard out to use as a template to cut and modify to make it to where the box follows the moldings in the trunk. It didn't come out perfect but its close enough for me. When I carpeted the box I left a little extra to close any gaps.

I would also like to say this istall isn't perfect but I think it looks good and that's all that matters to me. Sound is more important anyway. So if you see any spots where I "messed" up, trust me, I know about them!
You can also see the amplifier rack that I built. It covers the opening to the cabin and im still sorting that out as well. I can tell you that it affects the sound in the cabin greatly. It actually toned down my exhaust sound in the cabin as well as the sub in the trunk. Not really something I was going for and I may have cut some holes in the amp rack to allow air to move through along with sound to tune it up a bit. Its a work in progress obviously. But this is what I have so far. I go back to work Wednesday so I have 2 more days to tune things up and I will be posting as the process is moving along. Feedback is welcome!
Attached Thumbnails Custom fiberglass sub box for the trunk-p1030548.jpg   Custom fiberglass sub box for the trunk-p1030549.jpg   Custom fiberglass sub box for the trunk-p1030550.jpg   Custom fiberglass sub box for the trunk-p1030558.jpg  
Attached Images  

Last edited by RobDis; 7/24/11 at 11:15 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 7/24/11, 11:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is the finished product in the car. The box still needs to be tuned a little bit and the install will be cleaned up with wires hid and trunk vacuumed once its all finished. But I really like the way it turned out. The MDF box in the original post is the first box I built and you can see how much better the fiberglass box fits and even though it has more airspace.
Attached Thumbnails Custom fiberglass sub box for the trunk-p1030562.jpg   Custom fiberglass sub box for the trunk-p1030563.jpg   Custom fiberglass sub box for the trunk-p1030564.jpg  
Old 7/24/11, 11:37 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice job!
Old 8/9/11, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That looks really nice man. I thought about doing something similar but I don't want to give up the trunk space so I'm in the middle of building one for my spare tire well. Used a 24" sonotube for the walls and fiberglassed the bottom of it in the shape of the well. Still have to cut the top cap out of mdf but I'm waiting for my sub to get here so I have exact measurements.