'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Change white threads to match exterior

Search this Thread

Old 6/15/13 | 11:08 PM
Cobra R Member

Change white threads to match exterior

Ok. I used red dye on my white threads on my leather interior. I love the look but there is some run off/bleeding (whatever you want to call it). This car is my baby. I want it as perfect as possible. I'm thinking of buying a roush take off set of leather interior pieces and having the white stitching changed to red.

Are those threads or white stitching actually a utility feature that can be redone or are they just an appearance feature that won't allow it to be changed? Anyone that has changed the leather or seen them off the car that could answer would be appreciated.
Old 6/16/13 | 01:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

the center seam stitching is structural. the material is sewn together with 2 threads. a top thread and a bottom (bobbin) thread. first the pcs are sewn together leaving a flap on each side. thats what holds the pc`s together. its most likely black so it wont be seen in the center of the stitch crack. if you were to cut that center stitch, the seat would fall apart.

then there is the top stitch put on those little flaps on each side that you guys colored. it is done with 2 threads also. the under side stitch is most likely black and does not get seen. the top stitching in this case white is locked together at every stitch with the bottom thread. if you cut a top stitch, the seat wont fall apart, but you would have a hard time repairing that stitch. you cant really replace the top stitching either because holes are punched into the leather when its sewn and you would never be able to hit the same holes.

if you have any 3m adhesive remover, you could try a spot with a Q tip and see if it will remove it. it will remove alot of stuff like spray glue and sharpie marker but i cant say for sure with the markers you guys used. you might get lucky.

Last edited by amustangrocks; 6/16/13 at 01:43 PM.
Old 6/16/13 | 07:29 PM
Cobra R Member

So basically, what I want to do is impossible. Bummer.
Old 6/17/13 | 10:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Mr. V
So basically, what I want to do is impossible. Bummer.
ya, sorry for the bad news if you were thinking about replacing the top stitching. when we make parts if the top stitch gets messed up the part is scrapped. thats why marcy ( who is the expert seamstress) does the top stitching and even then sometimes things go bad. ours has to be done with a single stitch machine by hand. when the seat covers are made for the new cars there are very special machines they use that sews both lines at the same time so the seams come out pretty perfect.

so i shouldnt say it couldnt be done, but most likely. if you found a shop with the right machines theres a chance, but the cost would likely be more than you could get a set of pre made covers for.
Old 6/17/13 | 11:36 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by amustangrocks
ya, sorry for the bad news if you were thinking about replacing the top stitching. when we make parts if the top stitch gets messed up the part is scrapped. thats why marcy ( who is the expert seamstress) does the top stitching and even then sometimes things go bad. ours has to be done with a single stitch machine by hand. when the seat covers are made for the new cars there are very special machines they use that sews both lines at the same time so the seams come out pretty perfect.

so i shouldnt say it couldnt be done, but most likely. if you found a shop with the right machines theres a chance, but the cost would likely be more than you could get a set of pre made covers for.
I appreciate your time explaining it to me. It totally helped with my decision. I'll have to come up with a plan b.
Old 6/28/13 | 10:48 AM
Cobra R Member

I bought a new interior that has red stitching already. I am now considering installing it myself. Anyone know of any directions or videos?
Old 6/28/13 | 12:06 PM
Bullitt Member

I bought a new interior that has red stitching already. I am now considering installing it myself. Anyone know of any directions or videos?
The seats are easy - 4 bolts each (plus a molex connector if you've got power/heated seats).

The panels on the doors shouldn't be too hard - not sure if they're screwed in from behind the panel or if they're snap-ins, but either way they should be modular and easy to remove.

EDIT: Spoke too soon about the door panel inserts - appears they may be fixed and not (easily) removable. Lots of folks are saying they have to get a whole new panel, or the fabric has to be tucked and glued. I'll be pulling my panels off tomorrow, I'll poke around for you and see what I can find for you.

Last edited by ColSaulTigh; 6/28/13 at 12:13 PM.
Old 6/28/13 | 12:21 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by ColSaulTigh

The seats are easy - 4 bolts each (plus a molex connector if you've got power/heated seats).

The panels on the doors shouldn't be too hard - not sure if they're screwed in from behind the panel or if they're snap-ins, but either way they should be modular and easy to remove.

EDIT: Spoke too soon about the door panel inserts - appears they may be fixed and not (easily) removable. Lots of folks are saying they have to get a whole new panel, or the fabric has to be tucked and glued. I'll be pulling my panels off tomorrow, I'll poke around for you and see what I can find for you.
Thanks. I appreciate it. Have you seen anything on how to remove and install new seat skins?

Lol, I know how to pull out the seats. I do appreciate your help. I hope I don't sound like I'm trying to be rude.
Old 6/28/13 | 02:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks. I appreciate it. Have you seen anything on how to remove and install new seat skins?

Lol, I know how to pull out the seats. I do appreciate your help. I hope I don't sound like I'm trying to be rude.
Sorry, I read it fast and thought you were asking about removing the seats from the car...

I saw a thread somewhere (different forum maybe - I was Googling late one night and can't remember where) where someone did a step-by-step. I'll see if I can poke the back of my brain and find it....

EDIT - Found it: http://www.cjponyparts.com/tech-upholstery/a/126/

Last edited by ColSaulTigh; 6/28/13 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Found it!
Old 6/28/13 | 03:53 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by ColSaulTigh

Sorry, I read it fast and thought you were asking about removing the seats from the car...

I saw a thread somewhere (different forum maybe - I was Googling late one night and can't remember where) where someone did a step-by-step. I'll see if I can poke the back of my brain and find it....

EDIT - Found it: http://www.cjponyparts.com/tech-upholstery/a/126/
Thank you!
Old 7/30/13 | 01:36 PM
V6 Member

Where did you find the new interior?
Old 7/31/13 | 02:12 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by radioguy1
Where did you find the new interior?
I bought a take off set from a gt350 on eBay. Unfortunately, it didn't fit. I ended up returning it and getting the roush take offs that are exactly like the original stockers.
Old 8/1/13 | 10:25 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I bought a take off set from a gt350 on eBay. Unfortunately, it didn't fit. I ended up returning it and getting the roush take offs that are exactly like the original stockers.
I thought the Roush had added padding for the seats so new foam would be needed?
Old 8/1/13 | 10:45 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB

I thought the Roush had added padding for the seats so new foam would be needed?
The seats came with new seat foam for the front seat backs. The issue was it came with the wrong headrests. I have a 12 with the tilting headrests. The kit was for a 10-11.