Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Center console powerpoint switching

Search this Thread

Old 2/22/16, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Center console powerpoint switching

Hello all! I just got a bluetooth converter that plugs into the powerpoint in the center console and I ran the wire under the center portion (where the shifter is) to mount it by the heating/cooling controls.

Unfortunately it requires me to unplug it every time I get out of the car so it will reconnect when I turn it on again.

In short I am just trying to find out if there is a way to modify the fuse or wiring to have the powerpoint automatically switch off when the car does. If its something simple (or relatively so) I can probably do it myself but if not what kind of place does that work?

If it helps its a 2013 manual Mustang.

Thanks for your help in advance!
Old 2/22/16, 11:13 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I looked for a way to do this on my 2014 for my Garmin and never found a good way to do it. One suggestion that I found was to jump the circuit at the fuse box to a circuit that is switched by the car running, but i could never find a suitable circuit.
Old 2/22/16, 11:27 AM

Do you know if there is a difference between the square fuses and the smaller rectangle fuses? It looks like I could (potentially) just link into one of the smaller ones with an "Add a fuse" and wire it directly into the port for the center console powerpoint.... Let me know if this sounds like a horrible idea because I really don't want to burn my car down....
Old 2/22/16, 11:38 AM
V6 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by FLORoger
Do you know if there is a difference between the square fuses and the smaller rectangle fuses? It looks like I could (potentially) just link into one of the smaller ones with an "Add a fuse" and wire it directly into the port for the center console powerpoint.... Let me know if this sounds like a horrible idea because I really don't want to burn my car down....
You can use an add a fuse, just remember to install it on the correct orientation. There are a few fuses that are not used in that panel (fuses are installed). There are options for always ON, ON on Acc & Run, and ON on Run & Start.
Old 2/22/16, 11:44 AM

Do you have any suggestions which fuse I should link to? I'd like it to run on for ACC and RUN. And what is the correct orientation? Sorry for all the stupid questions. I know how to change my oil and do brakes occasionally. Pretty much everything else I never had to bother with...
Old 2/22/16, 03:44 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can accomplish what you want to do with a relay - that would also be a safe way to do it, and you could use the radio wiring (both wires you need should be there - switched and 12v constant)

Relays cost a dollar or two, and you can find them with the wiring pigtails if you look (e-bay is a good source).

One side of the relay (North/south) is 12v constant, and your hot wire to the Bluetooth adaptor, the other two poles (east/west) are going to be 12v switched and ground. (The adaptor will also have a ground wire, this can be the same ground as the relay - find a screw that goes into metal)

When you turn the car on, and the relay closes, it will connect the 12v constant to your Bluetooth adaptor.

Below is a diagram that I grabbed off the net - just use the "dual fans" wire for your Bluetooth adaptor.

Personally, I do not use the center pole - 87A. I don't think you need to ground it for the relay to function as illustrated.

You also don't need a fuse as high as 15 amps for the Bluetooth adaptor, 5 amps is most likely fine. (unscrew / take apart the power port adaptor - there is probably a fuse inside that is a fraction of an amp. The instructions might also indicate the power draw & the fuse need only be slightly higher.)

Also, if you use the wiring from the radio, those lines are fused already, and you are not going to increase the draw significantly. However, if you did happen to blow the radio fuse (which I doubt) you could look for another power wire (the power port would be good) or run straight to the battery.

Also, unless you need access to the Bluetooth adaptor, you can bury it in the dash, or under the console, so it is hidden.

Last edited by Springer200; 2/22/16 at 03:57 PM.
Old 2/22/16, 11:09 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would just use a relay that activates the ground wire on the cigarette lighter. Just find a key-on source to power the relay. You should be able to tap into a key-on source somewhere in the console or around the shifter for the parking interlock. If you have a manual shift transmission the wiring is usually there for the interlock but unused in the harness it plugs into.
Old 2/23/16, 04:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
There is an unused plug under the center console in MT cars that is used for illuminating the base (gear numbers/letters) of the AT shifter. It is switched power. Couldn't you just remove the power wire on the 12v outlet and replace it with a wire tapped into the power of the unused AT plug????
Old 2/23/16, 02:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
I've also written a writeup on this and i know there are several others that have too.

i had my port switched by using a relay as suggested above.

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...le-12v-526981/
Old 2/24/16, 07:46 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MADSCOTSMAN
There is an unused plug under the center console in MT cars that is used for illuminating the base (gear numbers/letters) of the AT shifter. It is switched power. Couldn't you just remove the power wire on the 12v outlet and replace it with a wire tapped into the power of the unused AT plug????
The shift position indicator is only illuminated when the parking lamps are on. It is NOT switched with the key. You would need to find the 12v+ wire that activates the auto shifter interlock release selenoid when the key is turned to on position. That wire is found in the main harness that supplies the shift indicator illumination.

I would also not power the cigarette lighter directly from that wire as it may exceed the current draw of the lighter itself. I would use a relay that would switch the ground wire into a closed circuit when the key is switched on.

Anyway, I know all about what is in there from installing ambient LED lighting on my 08 Mustang. I used the shift indicator light wire to tie in the ambient lighting to come on and off with the parkinglamps.

Last edited by watchdevil; 2/24/16 at 07:51 PM.
Old 3/22/16, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by watchdevil
The shift position indicator is only illuminated when the parking lamps are on. It is NOT switched with the key. You would need to find the 12v+ wire that activates the auto shifter interlock release selenoid when the key is turned to on position. That wire is found in the main harness that supplies the shift indicator illumination.

I would also not power the cigarette lighter directly from that wire as it may exceed the current draw of the lighter itself. I would use a relay that would switch the ground wire into a closed circuit when the key is switched on.

Anyway, I know all about what is in there from installing ambient LED lighting on my 08 Mustang. I used the shift indicator light wire to tie in the ambient lighting to come on and off with the parkinglamps.
I have a manual '13 GT base.

Is this the plug you're talking about? I tested it and the purple wire is +12V only if the interior lights are on, and the white wire is +12V constant. None of the other wires have 12V power going to them with the key in the on position.

Center console powerpoint switching-px426na_d30bca4d8734544059fd52d33a13258fbe680331.jpg

Center console powerpoint switching-dys5537_622a38dd10f7c1bf8fab7eba33a54c2552f2d409.jpg
Old 3/24/16, 12:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
I know the question has been answered but being that you are still looking for information... Heres how i did it for mine.

with a relay -

Pin #30 - 12v from Car to pin 30 on relay (cut the positive 12v wire to the port in console and feed it to relay)

Pin #87 - Becomes switched power to power port (at plug) meaning this is the wire that goes back to the other end of the wire that was cut at power port from pin 87 on relay)

Pin #86 - Switched source FROM car to relay to activate the relay (i tapped a wire from the radio, the accessory wire to be specific meaning only on when the radio is on, amp turn on wire works too)

Pin #85 - Ground this wire to the relay.

so then my bluetooth device only received power when my radio was on. You can use ANY accessory wire so that way it can be on even if the radio is not on.

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...le-12v-526981/

Last edited by DeeJayTJ; 3/24/16 at 12:25 PM.