Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Best speakers under $200 for base v6

Search this Thread

Old 5/8/15, 08:40 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Coyote5-0
ugh Maybe I should just drop the thing off at Best Buy and have them just do it all for me. I like the stock look of the head unit and Sync though...does that mean I'm completely screwed? What is a sound processor?

No your not screwed. Get a good pair of speakers. It is a fast and cheap mod. Listen to how it sounds. No 2 people hear the same. Then upgrade your listening material. The radio will always suck. Cd is better.

Very few speakers are designed to work in a free air environment. Make sure you install them correctly and match the impedance to what the stock speakers are.

I have a 2014 GT with Nav and if I change my listening material from one to another it is night and day how it sounds.

Most people don't know much about audio so they just start swapping things. One step at a time. You will be fine.

2015 will be a nightmare to start modding. New cars the radio Head unit is part of the systems. Always buy the best from the factory in those kind of cars.
Old 5/8/15, 10:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
ugh Maybe I should just drop the thing off at Best Buy and have them just do it all for me. I like the stock look of the head unit and Sync though...does that mean I'm completely screwed? What is a sound processor?
No, you're not screwed. If you want to stay on the cheaper side you could get a line out converter like in SVS's post. He used a LC6i Line converter which would give you the capability to amp all your speakers and add a sub. You can get them for $100 or so. I actually have one that I didn't end up using if you want to go that route. It wont clean up the signal as much as a full on processor like this: this:

But it will improve it and add the option to amp. That with some new speakers and I think you would be fairly happy.

Also I wouldn't trust BestBuy with my car

Last edited by 05PRMTX; 5/8/15 at 10:21 AM.
Old 5/8/15, 10:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Jazzman442
No your not screwed. Get a good pair of speakers. It is a fast and cheap mod. Listen to how it sounds. No 2 people hear the same. Then upgrade your listening material. The radio will always suck. Cd is better.

Very few speakers are designed to work in a free air environment. Make sure you install them correctly and match the impedance to what the stock speakers are.

I have a 2014 GT with Nav and if I change my listening material from one to another it is night and day how it sounds.

Most people don't know much about audio so they just start swapping things. One step at a time. You will be fine.

2015 will be a nightmare to start modding. New cars the radio Head unit is part of the systems. Always buy the best from the factory in those kind of cars.
Right, the new ones are getting quite complex. Sound processors or line out converters are going to be the only option there.

Listening material definitely effects the end result, but its hard to make up for a low quality HU. I agree that starting with a nice set of speakers would be good place to start, but the factory head unit is going to still be a limiting factor even with high quality material. I think he will want more out of it, especially since its just the base stereo. It just doesn't have the juice to push most aftermarket speakers.
Old 5/14/15, 08:35 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 05PRMTX
Right, the new ones are getting quite complex. Sound processors or line out converters are going to be the only option there.

Listening material definitely effects the end result, but its hard to make up for a low quality HU. I agree that starting with a nice set of speakers would be good place to start, but the factory head unit is going to still be a limiting factor even with high quality material. I think he will want more out of it, especially since its just the base stereo. It just doesn't have the juice to push most aftermarket speakers.

Is the Base HU different from the next model up? They look the same I just thought Ford would not have 3 different HU's

Back when I was in Stereo repair most car manufactures used the same head unit but would add amps, Processors and Better speakers.

I have never saw the base. i have the Nav HU and it Rocks with the right Material.

Last edited by Jazzman442; 5/14/15 at 08:50 AM.
Old 5/15/15, 03:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Is the Base HU different from the next model up? They look the same I just thought Ford would not have 3 different HU's

Back when I was in Stereo repair most car manufactures used the same head unit but would add amps, Processors and Better speakers.

I have never saw the base. i have the Nav HU and it Rocks with the right Material.
I'm pretty sure its different. The 05-09 had the Base HU, the nav HU, and the Shaker HUs. I think its the same for the 10-14s as well. The shaker HU was less filtered from what I understand, since it had the amps and upgraded speakers to go with it. Plus all the shaker HUs have the "shaker button", which just adds distortion, imo. I'm not sure of the specs on the NAV units, but most likely they have better sound than the base ones.

I had a shaker unit in my previous mustang and had a base in my current one until I replaced it.

Last edited by 05PRMTX; 5/15/15 at 03:35 PM.
Old 5/18/15, 07:36 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
wow, this just shows how little I know about car audio hahaha. So a line out converter just allows you to run an amp with the stock head unit? So the base head unit is so crummy that even when upgrading speakers and getting an amp, playing a high quality CD will still sound like crap? Is that what you are saying?
Old 5/18/15, 09:58 AM
SVS
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So a line out converter just allows you to run an amp with the stock head unit?

Yes... and you get tune-ability to dial in the sound..

So the base head unit is so crummy that even when upgrading speakers and getting an amp, playing a high quality CD will still sound like crap? Is that what you are saying?

They are not BAD at all when you upgrade everything else.

CD's sound good and I run my iPhone thru the headphone input port using the AUX function on the Radio, Plays Pandora and my music in the iPod on my phone, Also hands free talking for Phone calls.
Old 5/21/15, 02:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Just to add to what SVS said:

Yea if you get a good line out converter like the Audio control LC6i, it will help strengthen the signal and give you the option to amp off the stock HU.

I was saying you probably wont be happy if you just add new speakers. If you do the line out converter and amp them, I think you will be able to tune it to your liking. Amping them will make a HUGE difference.

Last edited by 05PRMTX; 5/21/15 at 02:19 PM.
Old 5/21/15, 03:30 PM
Cobra Member

So the base unit is the same as the premium but with no amps and low end speakers?
Old 5/22/15, 11:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

So the base unit is the same as the premium but with no amps and low end speakers?
Yes, but the premium has a few more tuning options like the shaker setting and whatnot I believe. Also, if its stayed the same as the 05-09 the base radio doesn't have the inputs, plugs, or wires for the stock shaker amps

Last edited by 05PRMTX; 5/22/15 at 12:01 PM.
Old 6/24/15, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I put hertz 5x7 in the doors. direct fit. very high spl per wat.

I am very pleased.
Old 6/25/15, 06:54 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

what does SPL mean?
Old 6/25/15, 07:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sound Pressure Level.
Old 6/25/15, 10:01 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Lake_Vert
I put hertz 5x7 in the doors. direct fit. very high spl per wat.

I am very pleased.
How are those speakers? I have been reading about them. I have been in the Audio Business for more than I want to admit. Been a JBL Pro user since they started using them in studios many moons ago. LOL They look promising
Old 6/25/15, 12:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

How are those speakers? I have been reading about them. I have been in the Audio Business for more than I want to admit. Been a JBL Pro user since they started using them in studios many moons ago. LOL They look promising
Curious as well, Hertz stuff in general seems to get pretty high praise
Old 6/25/15, 02:04 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Do you have a part number for the Hertz speakers?
Old 5/24/16, 12:55 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Could I get speakers, a processor OR line out converter, and amp for under $500 or is that too low of a budget for anything of quality? Like I said, I am no audiophile, but I want to do something to upgrade the base system. Are there any write ups on how you wire in the line out converter or signal processor? How is the amp wired in? Will I need new wire to go to the speakers too?
Old 5/24/16, 12:59 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
I wish I could get Apple CarPlay on my '13 Nav/Shaker unit.
Old 5/24/16, 01:53 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Could I get speakers, a processor OR line out converter, and amp for under $500 or is that too low of a budget for anything of quality? Like I said, I am no audiophile, but I want to do something to upgrade the base system. Are there any write ups on how you wire in the line out converter or signal processor? How is the amp wired in? Will I need new wire to go to the speakers too?
I doubt it, but I haven't checked processor prices lately. Line out converter does nothing for sound quality, only used for adding a sub to a source that doesn't have a separate sub output.

Last I checked processors were about $400 and up by themselves. Add $300 for decent speakers and amp.
Old 5/24/16, 01:55 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

ohhhh that clears up a lot, thanks. Maybe I should just get a sub and line out converter and keep the stock speakers

Quick Reply: Best speakers under $200 for base v6