Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Best speakers under $200 for base v6

Search this Thread

Old 2/8/15, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Best speakers under $200 for base v6

Hi, I would like to change the factory speakers and upgrade them to something better. When I turn up the volume the factory speakers produce noise/distortion.

Can someone guide me on nice speakers that can replace my factory ones?

I did some research and found
Pioneer TS-A6885R 6" x 8" 4-Way TS Series Coaxial Car Speakers Pioneer TS-A6885R 6" x 8" 4-Way TS Series Coaxial Car Speakers

Any Kicker/Rockford/Kenwood/others better than these?
Old 2/8/15, 08:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a set of JL TR570-Cxi on my back dash, but i used them in the front doors until i picked up my Focal's. The did a great job with the stock head unit and for the price they can't be beat (IMO)
Old 2/8/15, 03:08 PM

Thanks, i read they work great with an amp, I am not planning to install one now so would like to know if I replace all 4 speakers they would produce great low, mids and bass.
Old 2/8/15, 03:49 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by ardeshna
Thanks, i read they work great with an amp, I am not planning to install one now so would like to know if I replace all 4 speakers they would produce great low, mids and bass.
Great? No. Better then stock, yes.
Old 2/9/15, 09:54 AM

Thanks, Should I go with

JL Audio TR570-CXi (100 Watt, 2-way, 53 Hz - 22 KHz)
or
Pioneer TS-A6885R (350 Watt, 4-way, 31Hz - 42kHz)

I noticed the Pioneers have higher FR. Are there any other speakers out there that I might have missed?

Last edited by ardeshna; 2/9/15 at 10:18 AM.
Old 2/9/15, 10:28 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
See if you can find the JL XR570-CXi, the older model of the current version. Great sound, cheap, and includes a proper crossover.

Frequency response is useless unless you know what to look for. Just going by the max/min frequencies won't tell you anything.
Old 2/9/15, 01:45 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
If a tweeter goes that hi then it is usually a piezo one and they are harsh and terrible sounding.

JL, Boston, JBL, Infiniti. they all have great speakers for that price. I am a JBL fan you can get them for less than 100.
Old 5/6/15, 09:18 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Is it even worth putting in aftermarket speakers into the base stereo without an amp or other mods? I'm an audiophile at home, but when it comes to car audio I'm not nearly as strict. Unfortunately the base speakers are quite horrible, even compared to my '06 Elantra's speakers. I'd like to get something that sounds halfway decent, but doesn't have to sound amazing. Will that be possible with just speaker replacements?
Old 5/6/15, 11:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Jazzman442
If a tweeter goes that hi then it is usually a piezo one and they are harsh and terrible sounding.

JL, Boston, JBL, Infiniti. they all have great speakers for that price. I am a JBL fan you can get them for less than 100.
I'd agree with this. I put Infinity Reference 6832cf front and rear in my car. Granted, it's not a base car but I think these would probably be OK and will only sound better if you add an amp. The thing I like about them is the tweeters rotate to angle the highs toward you and they include a switch to give you a bump in the highs if you feel like you need it. I did and they sound pretty good with the music I've listened to.

I believe these are an older model but sonicelectronix.com has them for $55 a pair. Not a bad deal at all to get better sound in your car.

Last edited by mustang5o; 5/6/15 at 11:43 AM.
Old 5/6/15, 11:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ardeshna
Thanks, Should I go with

JL Audio TR570-CXi (100 Watt, 2-way, 53 Hz - 22 KHz)
or
Pioneer TS-A6885R (350 Watt, 4-way, 31Hz - 42kHz)

I noticed the Pioneers have higher FR. Are there any other speakers out there that I might have missed?
The upper frequency range makes no difference if the human ear cannot hear above 18-20 kHz anyway.

I did just install a set of the Pioneer's you have listed in the doors and package tray, and the sound quality was way improved over the standard speakers.
Old 5/6/15, 11:59 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

darn, I revived this thread in hopes someone would answer my question lol
Old 5/6/15, 01:25 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Best bang for the buck is to do the doors with these:

Amazon.com : P660C 6 1/2"" (160mm) 2-way component system : Vehicle Speakers : Car Electronics Amazon.com : P660C 6 1/2"" (160mm) 2-way component system : Vehicle Speakers : Car Electronics
Old 5/7/15, 01:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I ordered a set of these to replace my door speakers
Kenwood KFC-P680C 6-Inch x 8-Inch Easy Fit Ford/Mazda Speaker System: Amazon.ca: Electronics Kenwood KFC-P680C 6-Inch x 8-Inch Easy Fit Ford/Mazda Speaker System: Amazon.ca: Electronics

I'm also going to replace my door subs with these http://www.crutchfield.com/mobile/Pr...3XW800F&tp=111

And this amplifier http://caraudiosecurity.com/hcp4-4-c...760w-amplifier

For the next 6 months my stock head unit will remain as-is.

My question is, the sub is SVC 4 ohm rated at 50-150 watts RMS. The kenwood 6x8's are the same 4 ohm rating and rated 8-40 watts RMS.

The amp is a 4 channel amp that puts out 55 watts at 4 channels at 4 ohms. Plenty for the speakers but enough for the door woofers?

I had a brain fart for a second there and thought I could wire the door sub and speaker in parallel and still have a 4 ohm load. But I'd get a 2 ohm load. A 2 ohm load at 4 channels is only 85 watts. So 42.5 watts per speaker. Better off just going with each speaker on it's own dedicated channel.
Old 5/7/15, 09:01 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Coyote5-0
Is it even worth putting in aftermarket speakers into the base stereo without an amp or other mods? I'm an audiophile at home, but when it comes to car audio I'm not nearly as strict. Unfortunately the base speakers are quite horrible, even compared to my '06 Elantra's speakers. I'd like to get something that sounds halfway decent, but doesn't have to sound amazing. Will that be possible with just speaker replacements?
darn, I revived this thread in hopes someone would answer my question lol

+1. I'm interested in knowing the same thing. Any improvement to be had upgrading the speakers only with a factory (in my case, base level) sound system???
Old 5/7/15, 11:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MKMotorsport
+1. I'm interested in knowing the same thing. Any improvement to be had upgrading the speakers only with a factory (in my case, base level) sound system???
To both you guys, no its not worth it. The stock head unit has a weak filtered signal, so any aftermarket speakers a re going to be underpowered. It will sound better, but If you are any sort of a sound fanatic you will be rather disappointed unless you amp them

Last edited by 05PRMTX; 5/7/15 at 11:27 AM.
Old 5/7/15, 11:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

If you are an audiophile at home (I am as well)...even if you are not expecting much, I don't think replacing the speakers will cut it for you.

While the stock speakers are garbage, the weakest point is still the HU, IMO.It's like polishing a turd. Trying to clean up a crappy signal with better speakers isn't going to do all that much. The HU is to weak to properly power most aftermarket speakers, so you risk damaging them if you like to crank it. If you want new speakers, I would say get a new HU or a sound processor at minimum.

Last edited by 05PRMTX; 5/7/15 at 11:39 AM.
Old 5/7/15, 11:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Moejoe_989
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I ordered a set of these to replace my door speakers
Kenwood KFC-P680C 6-Inch x 8-Inch Easy Fit Ford/Mazda Speaker System: Amazon.ca: Electronics

I'm also going to replace my door subs with these http://www.crutchfield.com/mobile/Pr...3XW800F&tp=111

And this amplifier http://caraudiosecurity.com/hcp4-4-c...760w-amplifier

For the next 6 months my stock head unit will remain as-is.

My question is, the sub is SVC 4 ohm rated at 50-150 watts RMS. The kenwood 6x8's are the same 4 ohm rating and rated 8-40 watts RMS.

The amp is a 4 channel amp that puts out 55 watts at 4 channels at 4 ohms. Plenty for the speakers but enough for the door woofers?

I had a brain fart for a second there and thought I could wire the door sub and speaker in parallel and still have a 4 ohm load. But I'd get a 2 ohm load. A 2 ohm load at 4 channels is only 85 watts. So 42.5 watts per speaker. Better off just going with each speaker on it's own dedicated channel.
No do not wire them in parallel lol. If you give each speaker its own channel it should be acceptable. No great for the subs, but it will work.

Actually, It looks like you can run that amp in 3 Ch. mode, essentially bridging channels 3 and 4 into a mono sub out. So you could run your fronts off of channels 1 and 2 like normal, then run the two woofers off of the 3rd channel. It would give you more power for the subs.

Last edited by 05PRMTX; 5/7/15 at 11:58 AM.
Old 5/7/15, 02:53 PM
SVS
V6 Member

I have the base radio and went with the Pioneer TS-A6885R (350 Watt, 4-way, 31Hz - 42kHz) speakers front and rear-powered by a Rockford Fosgate R250X4 (I think this is the model) Amp connected to the head unit using a Sound Ordinance Grey LC6i Line converter--

In the Trunk -a Polk Audio 12' Sub in a made for the Mustang Box, powered by a 500 watt Rockford Fosgate T500 amp

BOOM!

Old 5/7/15, 07:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 05PRMTX
No do not wire them in parallel lol. If you give each speaker its own channel it should be acceptable. No great for the subs, but it will work.

Actually, It looks like you can run that amp in 3 Ch. mode, essentially bridging channels 3 and 4 into a mono sub out. So you could run your fronts off of channels 1 and 2 like normal, then run the two woofers off of the 3rd channel. It would give you more power for the subs.

When I looked at the specs for that amp, it says it's 2 ohm stable. But, since each speaker is only SVC 4 ohms, the only options I have are series 8 ohms and parallel 2 ohms.

The amp can give each speaker 55 watts which is a little much for the 2 ways, but a lot less for the subs. I know you can bridge channels 3/4 but it says that channel is 170 watts at 4 ohms.
I don't see anyway I can run those subs other than 4 ohms,
So am I stuck at 4 channels only?

I hooked up the left side today and they sound decent, but no amp yet.
Old 5/8/15, 06:29 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 05PRMTX
If you are an audiophile at home (I am as well)...even if you are not expecting much, I don't think replacing the speakers will cut it for you.

While the stock speakers are garbage, the weakest point is still the HU, IMO.It's like polishing a turd. Trying to clean up a crappy signal with better speakers isn't going to do all that much. The HU is to weak to properly power most aftermarket speakers, so you risk damaging them if you like to crank it. If you want new speakers, I would say get a new HU or a sound processor at minimum.

ugh Maybe I should just drop the thing off at Best Buy and have them just do it all for me. I like the stock look of the head unit and Sync though...does that mean I'm completely screwed? What is a sound processor?

Quick Reply: Best speakers under $200 for base v6