Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Ambient lightning

Search this Thread

Old 8/10/14, 03:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
I love ambient lightning, but I feel like Ford should have included ambient lightning to the HVAC and radio controls. If they all changed colors it would look so nice, has anyone tried extending the ambient lighting?

Last edited by Wild5.0; 8/10/14 at 03:45 PM.
Old 8/20/14, 07:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would love to know about this as well!
Old 8/20/14, 08:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
you would have to somehow replace all the LED's in the car to RBG leds and maybe then tie them into the Red Blue Green wires from the ambient lighting.

i added ambient lighting to my car using the ford harnesses and an aftermarket RBG controller but it only works like factory and did not try to go that deep into replacing the other leds that would be **** near impossible i'd think.

They would absolutely have to be "common cathode" since that is what the rest of the car uses unless you used a separate controller

you would probably need a set of color changing LEDS like this

or like this

Old 8/20/14, 05:19 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DeeJayTJ
you would have to somehow replace all the LED's in the car to RBG leds and maybe then tie them into the Red Blue Green wires from the ambient lighting.

i added ambient lighting to my car using the ford harnesses and an aftermarket RBG controller but it only works like factory and did not try to go that deep into replacing the other leds that would be **** near impossible i'd think.

They would absolutely have to be "common cathode" since that is what the rest of the car uses unless you used a separate controller

you would probably need a set of color changing LEDS like this
I just added a premium cluster to my 2014 base V6. I would love the ambient lighting to go along with it. Would you be able to post a write-up of what you did to get yours working?
Old 8/20/14, 06:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
It is not possible to get ambient lighting extended to include the buttons. The wiring for those is part of the circuit boards inside the modules. Not doable, sorry.

I know that Ford did toy with having the buttons change colours back when they were designing the 05 car. Don't know why they gave up on it, though.

But if you wanted to add factory ambient lighting after you have added the new cluster, you are talking about getting a new center console with the lights and cup holder rings, the lights for under the dash and the map pocket lights. Then you likely need the harnesses for all that. Big job, but doable.
Old 8/21/14, 04:56 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by jim010
It is not possible to get ambient lighting extended to include the buttons. The wiring for those is part of the circuit boards inside the modules. Not doable, sorry.

I know that Ford did toy with having the buttons change colours back when they were designing the 05 car. Don't know why they gave up on it, though.

But if you wanted to add factory ambient lighting after you have added the new cluster, you are talking about getting a new center console with the lights and cup holder rings, the lights for under the dash and the map pocket lights. Then you likely need the harnesses for all that. Big job, but doable.
Ford sells an ambient lighting kit for a little over $200. Puts leds in the driver and passenger footwells, and then you have to drill a hole in the cupholder area and insert another led. It's all controlled by a separate switch and not the cluster. Not sure if that is worth over $200.
Old 8/21/14, 08:41 AM
GT Member

Ambient Lightning?

Old 8/21/14, 12:14 PM
Bullitt Member

LOL!!! @ the Ambient LIGHTNING hahahahha
sid719e - ive got a forum post talking about my install, its got all the factory lighting bu tthe controller is aftermarket because it was just easier that way.

oh and by the way, the "ford kit" is nothing near what the factory kit looks like..

Last edited by DeeJayTJ; 8/21/14 at 12:18 PM.
Old 8/21/14, 03:08 PM
GT Member

sid719e - ive got a forum post talking about my install, its got all the factory lighting bu tthe controller is aftermarket because it was just easier that way.

oh and by the way, the "ford kit" is nothing near what the factory kit looks like..
Yeah, my '10 V6 had the ambient lightning and my '14 GT had it too. I'll check out your thread...
Old 8/21/14, 04:24 PM
GT Member

Then again, maybe I'll just make a quick road trip to Texas and you can help me with the install...
Old 8/25/14, 02:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by sid719e
Then again, maybe I'll just make a quick road trip to Texas and you can help me with the install...
heres my base model with ford ambient lighting, my harness came from a ford Flex. Oh and now i have the premium leather seats (just the leather skins actually) so no more cloth!

The only problem i have (which actually isnt a problem for me and i like it) is that the iceblue color shown here is what i set it as default.. so i open the doors and thats what color it is but then i start the engine and they all turn red and stay red. luckily red is not near as bright so its much more "ambient" to me because its just not blinding me when the cup holder is open.

of course in the picture i have the ISO set to like 800 on my DSLR and a very slow shutter speed which brightens up the light way more than it really is..

Last edited by DeeJayTJ; 8/25/14 at 02:23 PM.
Old 8/25/14, 02:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Looks good.

I like the tablet install as well. How about some shots of that?
Old 5/5/15, 06:08 AM

look really nice