Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Adding rear AMP to Shaker 500 on 14 GT

Old 5/28/14, 12:59 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Adding rear AMP to Shaker 500 on 14 GT

Hello I have an old alpine amp I would like to add to the existing system and then add new rear speaker and a sub. Has anyone done this I would like to keep the original head unit I just want to make sure I get all frequencies to the rear. I would also keep the front configuration.
Thanks
Old 5/28/14, 01:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
You need this:

http://www.pac-audio.com/productDeta...&CategoryID=28

Old 5/28/14, 07:36 PM
V6 Member

Can I still use the factory amp for the front? I was looking to only pull out the rear channels?
Old 5/28/14, 07:43 PM
V6 Member

I just looked at the instructions and yep it does Thanks! Do you know if they pre run the power to the rear? I know the shaker 1000 has the sub in the back. other wise I will be running wires to the back
Old 5/28/14, 08:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 14stangGT
I just looked at the instructions and yep it does Thanks! Do you know if they pre run the power to the rear? I know the shaker 1000 has the sub in the back. other wise I will be running wires to the back
Ok I reread what you're trying to do, and I understand the "what" but I don't understand the "why." What are your goals? What are you trying to accomplish by just making the rears? It would make much more sense to amp the fronts....
Old 5/29/14, 09:20 AM
V6 Member

Hello I have an old alpine 5 channels amp just sitting around that only used for a year. So I wanted to do the minimal changes $ since I am saving for a VMP STG2 SC that I am going to install in the fall. I just want to add subs and replace the rear deck speakers keeping the same head unit. This way I can get more full range sound from the rears. Since now they are pointless. I don't mind the fronts at least now. I would rather put my money into the motor. Maybe more stereo upgrades next year. Thanks again.
Old 5/29/14, 10:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Hello I have an old alpine 5 channels amp just sitting around that only used for a year. So I wanted to do the minimal changes $ since I am saving for a VMP STG2 SC that I am going to install in the fall. I just want to add subs and replace the rear deck speakers keeping the same head unit. This way I can get more full range sound from the rears. Since now they are pointless. I don't mind the fronts at least now. I would rather put my money into the motor. Maybe more stereo upgrades next year. Thanks again.
I hear ya, and I know a lot of people like to have loud music all around, but you would get much more enjoyment out of putting a decent set of speakers up front, and using that 5ch to power those fronts, amp the stock 8s and add a sub in the rear.

I always go back to the concert concept - well, smaller venues at least - the sound comes from in front of you, not behind you. I know you're still going to do what you want to do, but I hope you at least consider it. You have a good amp and a good start, spend $100 on a nice set of fronts, $100 on a box and $100 on a sub and you'd have a kickin system!
Old 5/29/14, 10:15 AM
V6 Member

Thanks I will probably do the rear first and then depending on cost I will look at the fronts as well. When I first got the car I went for stereo estimates and all the places in Phoenix wanted around 4 - 5 k and I thought they were nuts. That is almost a superchager. LOL! I know it can get expensive. I will post pictures when I do it. I ordered some infinity subs and replacement infinity speakers for the rear. I am a woodworker so I will build a custom box for the subs and mount the amp to that. Thanks again
Old 5/29/14, 10:25 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks I will probably do the rear first and then depending on cost I will look at the fronts as well. When I first got the car I went for stereo estimates and all the places in Phoenix wanted around 4 - 5 k and I thought they were nuts. That is almost a superchager. LOL! I know it can get expensive. I will post pictures when I do it. I ordered some infinity subs and replacement infinity speakers for the rear. I am a woodworker so I will build a custom box for the subs and mount the amp to that. Thanks again
I used to work at a very high end audio shop...like Ferraris, Bentleys etc. Audio is incredibly overpriced, and a good shop will charge you $100/hour for labor. That's pretty much standard, even if they're not a good shop. Bad shops will still charge you $4k for a system, then cut so many corners to pocket as much of that labor cost as possible. We didn't work that way, but many other shops in the area did.

Trust me, audio is a disease, just like modding for hp lol. You're going to have better sounding rears, which will now sound better than your fronts - so then you're going to want your fronts to sound better too

So yeah, ask me any time if you need help or have questions. I have a pretty extensive build planned for my car when I get it.
Old 5/29/14, 11:44 AM
GT Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
This is what I am wanting to do also. I've replaced all four 5x7's with Infinity's and want to amp the back pair first and then the front. I am wanting to install this amp
Amazon.com : Clarion Mobile Electronics XC1410 D-Class 4-Channel Amplifier : Vehicle Multi Channel Amplifiers : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Clarion Mobile Electronics XC1410 D-Class 4-Channel Amplifier : Vehicle Multi Channel Amplifiers : Car Electronics
so I can eventually use it to power the front speakers in the future.
Old 5/30/14, 09:15 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
Bummer I just read a review of this and it said it only passes mids and highs. That kind of defeats my purpose. I might be returning everything. Have you used this? I thought I saw somewhere that someone used the rear rca's to power a subwoofer. I saw on modded mustangs the radio only sends full range to the front which I think is stupid. I expected a full range to all four channels.
Old 5/30/14, 09:24 AM
V6 Member

Does any of the RCA's get full range?
Old 5/30/14, 09:30 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Bummer I just read a review of this and it said it only passes mids and highs. That kind of defeats my purpose. I might be returning everything. Have you used this? I thought I saw somewhere that someone used the rear rca's to power a subwoofer. I saw on modded mustangs the radio only sends full range to the front which I think is stupid. I expected a full range to all four channels.
Crap! I haven't used it and haven't read that either. I only need one full range output to go into my processor's input though so I may not even bother with this. I can just tap into one of the front speaker leads, which is exactly what we did for my buddy's 2013 F-150.
Old 5/30/14, 09:37 AM
V6 Member

I just called the pac technical line and they said "all" frequencies" are passed to the back. So I think I will still try it out unless someone posts that it does not work.
Old 5/31/14, 03:59 PM
GT Member

So, I've looked at that PAC module before, but I wasn't sure about it. Just to clarify, it gives an RCA a output to go into the processor right? I've got some engine noise on the speaker level inputs from my processor. There is no noise when I use the aux cable, so I was looking at a way to get a better input to the processor. Think this will do it?
Old 5/31/14, 04:42 PM
V6 Member

I am not sure I should have it by this Wednesday. I will post once I get it installed. It does give two sets of rca cables
Old 6/3/14, 08:39 AM
V6 Member

Got the parts hopefully will have a chance to try it out tonight.
Old 6/3/14, 10:14 PM
V6 Member

The Pac works perfect. I did a quick test and hooked it up to the amp just on the floor and connected a speaker to it. It plays full range to it. Now I just have to install everything. It was kind of a pain getting the wires off the back of the radio it does not pull out all the way. But I would say get it, it works as advertised. I will post more pictures Sunday or next week. I got the PAC from Amazon
Old 6/3/14, 10:51 PM
GT Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
That's great to hear. I'll be doing this real soon also.
Old 6/4/14, 08:56 PM
GT Member

That's awesome. I may grab it to help clean up my signal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adding rear AMP to Shaker 500 on 14 GT