'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Adding a hard drive to Sync!

Search this Thread

Old 10/19/12 | 03:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mac951
Explain please. I've been looking to do this without using voice all the time.
I believe this is only if you have the navigation package with the touchscreen.
Old 10/20/12 | 09:39 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by mac951
Explain please. I've been looking to do this without using voice all the time.
Sorry, I don't recall the steps or menu names, but it's in the Sync device or input select menu section where it cycles between line in and USB ports etc.

My car is similar to yours, no Nav. I actually prefer using the voice control, it works pretty well, I find the menu system kinda fiddly and not always particularly intuitive. I have only tried this with memory sticks on the USB ports. I am just loading up my small 500GB HD today, so Sync may not react the same way as far as detection/switching with HDs, IDK yet...

Last edited by cfraser; 10/20/12 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10/20/12 | 10:29 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by cfraser

Sorry, I don't recall the steps or menu names, but it's in the Sync device or input select menu section where it cycles between line in and USB ports etc.
Gotcha, I just wish they'd update the sync system to cycle through the different aux inputs when pushing the aux button instead of just staying on line in once I plug in my phone or flash drive. But I use voice instead of going through the menu, too much hassle. But thanks for the info guys! And good luck with your hdd thinking of adding one myself just need to find a good one first.
Old 12/10/12 | 09:58 AM

First off, great write-up! I am planning on installing a USB2 hard drive soon (hopefully this week).

However, all this would be unnecessary if Ford would just give the Jukebox the ability to download songs through the USB port. My brother has a Dodge minivan that is about 3 years old and he can just download pics and music right into his vehicle's hard drive.

I called Ford today and asked why they have this restriction and they said because of "copyright" issues. When I asked how Dodge is able to do it the guy had no answer. I am now waiting to get a call back from a "higher-up". Has anyone else spoken to Ford about this ridiculous limitation?
Old 12/10/12 | 10:56 AM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Originally Posted by Avenger2013
First off, great write-up! I am planning on installing a USB2 hard drive soon (hopefully this week).

However, all this would be unnecessary if Ford would just give the Jukebox the ability to download songs through the USB port. My brother has a Dodge minivan that is about 3 years old and he can just download pics and music right into his vehicle's hard drive.

I called Ford today and asked why they have this restriction and they said because of "copyright" issues. When I asked how Dodge is able to do it the guy had no answer. I am now waiting to get a call back from a "higher-up". Has anyone else spoken to Ford about this ridiculous limitation?
---
I find it frustrating, too.
I'm no techie, so forgive me if I get the vocabulary wrong, but...
Ford has this set up in an odd way, so that only CD discs can download to the Jukebox, and this is in some way connected directly to the entertainment computer. And the USB is an Auxiliary port because it is not directly connected to the entertainment computer. So the USB is 'read-only', while the CD slot is 'read-write'. My explanation may be too crude, so others please chime in to edit/correct/explain some more...
My 'solution' has been to copy all of my music to a 16GB flash drive, keep it plugged in all the time in the center console port, and call it a day. I only use the CD slot to upload pictures (I have the GPS screen).
Old 12/10/12 | 12:46 PM
V6 Member

When you start getting down into it, the USB ports are connected through SYNC, and my understanding is that SYNC is just an interface to the actual stereo. Because it is an interface, it cannot handle file transfer. While the cd slot is a part of the stereo, it can handle file transfer up to the stereo.

So this would be a limitation of SYNC not being able to handle file transfer, only audio pass through. Now why this is the case and they didn't program it to transfer files doesn't make much sense to me. But that is also where you get into the grey area around patents and computers. It is verry possible that another company patented the ability to transfer files from the connection that SYNC and the stereo use. Just look at Apple, the iphone 5 came out with 4G connection, and boom, HTC immediately took them to court over patent violation, shortly after so did Samsung, and if my memory is correct, a third company did the same (there are hundreds of patents around 4G, most of which are owned by HTC and Samsung).

So, no this doesn't make sense, but it is plausable that there is red tape somewhere preventing this. I wish they would also add in the option for 4G right into the car. I know Dodge can do a 3G hotspot (havn't checked in a long time if they offer 4G now), but a directly connected 4G stereo would be amazing. you would have adaptability as new formats come out, and could keep your stereo firmware up to date.
Old 12/11/12 | 07:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

All updates to SYNC are installed from files stored on a flash drive so the USB port must be capable of file transfer.
Old 12/11/12 | 09:31 AM
V6 Member

But the head unit, that actually plays the music and would store it from CDs is different from the SYNC unit. So you can update SYNC from USB as they are tied directly to the USB, but the actual stereo is not tied directly to the USB. So if what they siad about patents is true, the issue is transfering the data from the USB through SYNC to the actual stereo. Im sure the capability is there, its just the coding to do it is not.
Old 12/11/12 | 01:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

But there are no licensing requirements for USB (at least none that cost any money). Go to USB.org and you'll find that companies can build USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 compliant devices by merely signing a royalty-free license agreement available on the site. That includes all types of serial communication whether it be music streaming, file transfer or disk drive emulation (flash drives). There are some more esoteric uses such a measuring instruments that require separate license but it's still free (see agilent.com). And IBM has a specialized USB power application but that requires a non-standard connector that doesn't apply here.
Old 12/26/12 | 03:31 PM
V6 Member

I just got a 64gb flash drive. I have all my music on it, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to make a playlist without duplicating music.
Old 12/26/12 | 08:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

I use SyncPlaylist to make playlist on my USB Stick (connected in USB2).

It use your Windows Media player playlists, very easy to use.
Old 4/24/13 | 08:10 AM

Just got my car yesterday and I was looking to change out the HDD but came across your write up and,,, My hat is off to you Sir.
Great find and a great job of posting

Thank You
Deane
Old 4/25/13 | 07:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Great post ! But I have another question. I am about to install this http://www.ottonavi.com/product/ford...igation-system

In my GT500 (I have just a shaker) and I was wondering that the usb cable there...is it the one that plugs into our center console ? and if so, is it long enough to reach the stereo position ? Or do I need a extender ?

Would look myself but car is currently in the body shop.
Old 5/29/13 | 12:27 PM
GT Member

Getting my car this month, great find and great write-up Sir !

I have a 64gb usb drive and just know the place to install it now !
Old 6/8/13 | 12:01 PM
V6 Member

Thanks!
Old 6/8/13 | 03:11 PM
GT Member

I added my drive, SYNC said it could not read protected content and I don't have access to any folder except the root. So far, SYNC has just been a pain in the neck!

Time to google all that stuff!
Old 6/8/13 | 03:14 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

You can't read protected songs (DRM) from a hard drive. It's only going to do that from an iPod, Zune, etc.

All my songs are in sub folders, so it should be able to read it.

Did you format the drive to FAT32?
Old 6/9/13 | 06:12 PM
GT Member

Yup, FAT32 it is. All the songs came from CDs I own, so there shouldn't be an issue. I don't have access either to mobile apps such as Slacker. Also, I would have expected to see song names when Bluetooth streaming from an iPhone (music or Slacker -my wife's Rav4 does that) but I can not make it work.

Thanks for your help !
Old 6/9/13 | 07:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Are you sure it's not going to play them? I say that because I noticed a few things:

1) Whenever you insert a new USB device, SYNC says it can't play DRM protected music. I think it's just a "friendly reminder" thanks to the legal dept. at Ford SYNC.

2) Depending on how large your HDD is and how many files you have, it may take 10-15 minutes to index everything. I noticed that it took a minute or two even with my small 16GB thumb drive with about 30 songs.

3) I believe there is a theoretical file limit (I want to say 10,000 files, but I'm not sure - Google will know). If you've got more than that, it may fail.

Just a few thoughts from the dark reaches of my very tired brain.
Old 6/10/13 | 01:50 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

I have 15,000 songs and it takes about 20 minutes to index the drive if I make changes to it. It should only tell you it can't play DRM when it detects changes.

The 10,000 limit is for song track selection. If there are too many files on the drive it will tell you that you can't ask for individual songs. You can still ask for artist or album name. Not sure what the limit is on that part.

Quick Reply: Adding a hard drive to Sync!