'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Adding a hard drive to Sync!

Search this Thread

Old 10/9/12 | 06:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
I wasn't really worried, but now I am. Don't turn into one of those 1000lb persons that can't get up without crane help.
You seemed worried. I appreciate your concern for my health. I've already been to the gym once today, so I think I'm ok. I've actually been trying to gain weight, but it doesn't seem to be working....
Old 10/9/12 | 06:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jmillz

You seemed worried. I appreciate your concern for my health. I've already been to the gym once today, so I think I'm ok. I've actually been trying to gain weight, but it doesn't seem to be working....
Oh, I see you're in Cali too, you're okay, if you were in Texas it might be a different story. Lol
Old 10/9/12 | 06:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
Oh, I see you're in Cali too, you're okay, if you were in Texas it might be a different story. Lol
They do like to live large in Texas...
Old 10/9/12 | 06:21 PM
Banned

They do like to live large in Texas...
More like XXX-Large lol
Old 10/10/12 | 11:39 AM
GT Member

Back to topic, I know with the regular USB port, if I switch out a USB drive with another and there aren't many songs, no indexing is required. However, if both have several hundred songs, I've seen it re-index.

I was just wondering, if I have 2 large drives one connected to USB and the other USB2, can you switch between them without them reindexing all the time? Like, the 15000 song limit people talk about, is it per USB device?
Old 10/10/12 | 11:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by msqr
Back to topic, I know with the regular USB port, if I switch out a USB drive with another and there aren't many songs, no indexing is required. However, if both have several hundred songs, I've seen it re-index.

I was just wondering, if I have 2 large drives one connected to USB and the other USB2, can you switch between them without them reindexing all the time? Like, the 15000 song limit people talk about, is it per USB device?
That's actually a good question. I only have my hard drive in usb2 indexed, my phone which is connected to regular USB I just use applink and pandora.
Old 10/10/12 | 01:14 PM
GT Member

Ahh OK I see..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Pack-Lot-U...item3f17884db4

Was this similar to what people have? It's mini USB right? I wonder if these adapters fit...
Old 10/10/12 | 01:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Ahh OK I see..

Was this similar to what people have? It's mini USB right? I wonder if these adapters fit...
Well that is the right type of adapter but that's not going to work by itself. You'd need micro extender or a USB extender. The extender could be at either end really.
Old 10/10/12 | 01:25 PM
GT Member

Ah right... was thinking with that I can just use the Apple iPod cable and then the iPod...
Old 10/10/12 | 02:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Ah right... was thinking with that I can just use the Apple iPod cable and then the iPod...
On second thought, that actually should work. I thought your cable was usb mini male to usb a male. With that adapter you should be able to just plug your ipod cable into the usb female.
Old 10/10/12 | 04:31 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Sometimes I see mine index for a few seconds when starting up and that is it. If I remove the drive and add songs it does a quick index for maybe a minute or less. Nothing like the first index the first time the drive is connected. So it should effect changing back and forth from USB 1 and 2.
Old 10/10/12 | 04:33 PM

Ahh OK I see..

That's one part you need, but you still need a cable. If you go back to post number 2 you'll see the two items and where to get them for cheap.
Old 10/10/12 | 04:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by denlem
That's one part you need, but you still need a cable. If you go back to post number 2 you'll see the two items and where to get them for cheap.
No he doesn't, not if has an ipod cable. That adapter he posted plugs into the sync box and the other end of the connector will be a female USB. He can then just plug his ipod cable into that. It would have to be a dedicated ipod cable for the car unless he wanted to unhinge his glovebox each time he uses it.
Old 10/10/12 | 04:51 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by denlem
Sometimes I see mine index for a few seconds when starting up and that is it. If I remove the drive and add songs it does a quick index for maybe a minute or less. Nothing like the first index the first time the drive is connected. So it should effect changing back and forth from USB 1 and 2.
Ahh OK. I've noticed with USB hard drives, that's true, but it seems more sensitive towards iPods.. Like, if I had one song, the USB hard drive would just reindex that one song (a few seconds), whereas my iPod would spend 5 minutes reindexing...

No he doesn't, not if has an ipod cable. That adapter he posted plugs into the sync box and the other end of the connector will be a female USB. He can then just plug his ipod cable into that. It would have to be a dedicated ipod cable for the car unless he wanted to unhinge his glovebox each time he uses it.
Ahh awesome, thanks (everyone) for the input!!!
Old 10/10/12 | 07:27 PM

He won't need a cable if he has a second ipod cable for other use. Other than that it would be a pain to have to reach under there and unplug from the box each time to use the ipod elsewhere.
Old 10/11/12 | 01:42 PM
GT Member

Do you think this cable is too short to stretch from the Sync module mini jack and have the A end easily accessible in the glove box? It seems to me it should be pretty close...best as I can measure it. Thanks, and good to know if anybody's tried one.
http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-Mini-USB-2-0-Cable/dp/B004ZMYEMY/ref=sr_1_1?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1349984096&sr=1-1&keywords=USBMUSBFM1 http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-Mini-USB-2-0-Cable/dp/B004ZMYEMY/ref=sr_1_1?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1349984096&sr=1-1&keywords=USBMUSBFM1

Edit: it works just fine and is plenty long, the end of this cable that plugs into the Sync module is perfect for this app, nice unwobbly fit almost as good/tight as stock cable with bracket thingy. The point of this cable is it's short and converts the "strange" end (the mini USB of Sync module) to the "common" end of all my other device cables which are intended to plug into a regular USB A socket.

And again: forgot to mention that on 2013s (at least) the USB2 is also selectable by panel control, not just by voice as it apparently used to be.

Last edited by cfraser; 10/18/12 at 11:07 AM.
Old 10/18/12 | 10:40 AM
V6 Member

Thanks for the writeup and Pics, very easy instructions. It never hurts to over-explain. I plan to do this over the weekend myself. However i would recommend sticking to SSDs or thumb drives (i plan to just use a 128 GB Thumb Drive for now). Most portable HDDs just aren't shock proof (some are made to be though) and all it will take is one bad bump to crash the drive (no idea how, but every time i loan a HDD to my brother, he manages to crash it! luckily i keep double backups of my data). So depending on your music collection, i feel its just more worthwhile to spend a little more on the drive to ensure that it will last.
Old 10/18/12 | 10:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by the dudeness
Thanks for the writeup and Pics, very easy instructions. It never hurts to over-explain. I plan to do this over the weekend myself. However i would recommend sticking to SSDs or thumb drives (i plan to just use a 128 GB Thumb Drive for now). Most portable HDDs just aren't shock proof (some are made to be though) and all it will take is one bad bump to crash the drive (no idea how, but every time i loan a HDD to my brother, he manages to crash it! luckily i keep double backups of my data). So depending on your music collection, i feel its just more worthwhile to spend a little more on the drive to ensure that it will last.
What you really want is a solid state hard drive, and then a $10 enclosure to go around it. They are a bit pricey, but not much more than a 128gb flash drive. A 128gb solid state drive you can get for around $100.
Old 10/19/12 | 10:26 AM

My hard drive has been working fine so far without even a hiccup! And that's driving over pothole filled Massachusetts roads!
Old 10/19/12 | 03:23 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by cfraser

And again: forgot to mention that on 2013s (at least) the USB2 is also selectable by panel control, not just by voice as it apparently used to be.
Explain please. I've been looking to do this without using voice all the time.

Quick Reply: Adding a hard drive to Sync!