Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Added a powered subwoofer review

Search this Thread

Old 11/19/12, 11:17 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Added a powered subwoofer review

After being disappointed with my front speaker swap I was just going to leave the stereo alone instead of adding a basslink sub that I had planned originally. However I saw the sound ordinance B-8p on sale for $80 bucks down from regular price of $140 and figured why not.

Total cost of $121 with install kit, extra wire, and speaker adapters (not needed but I don't use my rear speakers anyway so it made it way easier than tapping into the harness for the speaker level inputs. Comes with a 3 year warranty which is nice too. Total cost with 3 year warranty on a basslink would of been $270 which is not bad either.

Install was pretty easy, just connected the wires all up and tucked everything without even needing to remove or loosen any panels or kick plates. Used the wiper fuse under the passenger side fuse box for the remote turn on, just wrapped the wire around the fuse and re-instal. Fuse box under there is very confusing to find ha ha.

At first I though I did something wrong with instal because car kept dying but turns out it was just dumb luck that I installed the same time a stray wire shifted inside the PCM so the dealership fixed it right up.

Been a week now so it's had time to break in and I've been adjusting the settings to get the best sound. Sound is great and very happy with it, has a lot more power than I thought with it only being an 8" with 80 watts. It is in a band pass box though which is the loudest of the 3 box designs. I keep it at about 60% volume on the sub with +2 bass on the head unit and its enough bass that you can feel it in your chest. Really fills out the music.

I'm sure the basslink and other powered subs hit harder and get louder but this cheap one gave me all that I needed so I'm glad I tried it first. Does take up a little space in the trunk but I made just enough with all my work gear to fit it in the right side about a foot back from the rear of the car.
Old 11/19/12, 05:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
Awesome!

Now, Where are the pictures? LOL

Seriously, I'd love to see the thing installed ... I wouldn't mind having some more bottom-end in my music .... I have the most basic audio system offered ... don't even have Sync ... lol
Old 11/19/12, 07:47 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Gabe
Awesome!

Now, Where are the pictures? LOL

Seriously, I'd love to see the thing installed ... I wouldn't mind having some more bottom-end in my music .... I have the most basic audio system offered ... don't even have Sync ... lol
I will try to get picks up tomorrow if I can figure out how to post em. I can get em in my album but can't remember how to transfere them to posts.

Not sure how impressive it will look surrounded by cleaning gear ha ha.

Oh mine is a base system as well, put infinity speakers up front but wish I had either stayed stock or gone with a speaker that works better off a stock system. Picked ones that should be amped but don't want to. Just not much of an upgrade from the stock speaker

Last edited by Ghost.223; 11/19/12 at 07:51 PM.
Old 11/20/12, 05:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Yeah, I replaced the stock fronts with some Excelon-series Kenwoods, and they really should be powered by a real amplifier too, but it's still an improvement, however slight it may be ... lol
Old 11/20/12, 10:13 AM
GT Member

Pic in album but still can't remember how to transfere here.

It's a bad pic though ha ha.

Thing is really well built and looks good. Not some cheap thrown together mess like you would think for the price
Old 11/20/12, 02:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Nice!
Old 11/20/12, 02:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Let me help

Old 11/20/12, 03:15 PM
V6 Member

So the amp for the sub is a bandpass amp? Kinda odd for a sub, typically you would want a class D mono amp to get good low end for the sub. Though for an 8", you probably want to hit the mids with it as well.

The band pass will let you set cut offs on it so that only freequency within the band get through to the sub. So you can cut out the highs or lows, in this case cut out the highs, so all of the power goes into the lows.

Sorry, used to be really big into electronics and circuitry. That is an amazing price though to get some quality audio added in your car.

Do you think that 8" would fit to replace the 8"s in the doors (assuming you took it out of the enclosure it came in)?
Old 11/20/12, 03:23 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Gabe
Let me help
WTH is in that trunk?
Old 11/20/12, 03:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
WTH is in that trunk?
Whatever the OP feels he needs to carry around everywhere ... it's his picture ... lol
Old 11/20/12, 03:31 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by the dudeness
So the amp for the sub is a bandpass amp? Kinda odd for a sub, typically you would want a class D mono amp to get good low end for the sub. Though for an 8", you probably want to hit the mids with it as well.

The band pass will let you set cut offs on it so that only freequency within the band get through to the sub. So you can cut out the highs or lows, in this case cut out the highs, so all of the power goes into the lows.

Sorry, used to be really big into electronics and circuitry. That is an amazing price though to get some quality audio added in your car.

Do you think that 8" would fit to replace the 8"s in the doors (assuming you took it out of the enclosure it came in)?
Not sure what kind of amp is inside but band pass is the box type. it is like a sealed box and ported box all in one.
I think the sub used would be much too deep to fit in the doors. Not sure but I think the doors on your premium package Stangs use shallow mount subs.
Old 11/20/12, 03:36 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
WTH is in that trunk?
Oh it's my work gear, I clean and do maintainance on new homes. Not too bad, maybe 30lbs of stuff with non slide on the floor and positioned so I can slam the car around with no worry of stuff flying around. Holds the sub in place to ha ha