'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

2013 GT Shaker Door replacement

Search this Thread

Old 1/3/14, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GT Shaker Door speaker replacement

Hey just thought i would shed some light on the daunting door speaker replacement. Its really not hard at all, but this isn't my first car audio install. First off i went with a 6.5" infinity reference because its 2 ohm and round speakers produce better sound. I found this guys door panel removal instructions to be top notch http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/F...Removal-Guide/

Infinity supplied the bracket i used (shocking that a speaker manufacture supplied a bracket that could be used for once)

I added some pics so you can get the idea of what i did, the bracket is bolted in two places and drilled and screwed on the top. Didn't buy the speaker connection harnesses cause i think they are a waste of money and produce no better SQ.

As for the components that were in there i am ashamed of ford for putting this in their "shaker" system...I couldn't even get a baby screwdriver to stick to their worlds smallest magnet.

Now the good part, even with the amp underpowered its still is a night and day improvement over stock. the notes are rich and accurate. I had my wife come out and listen when i had one side done, she said it sounds like there is a dinner plate over the stock speaker. Very true the stock system sounded flat and muffled.
If anyone needs some tips just let me know.

Just making sure it would fit.
Attached Thumbnails 2013 GT Shaker Door replacement-photo-1.jpg   2013 GT Shaker Door replacement-photo-2.jpg   2013 GT Shaker Door replacement-photo-3.jpg   2013 GT Shaker Door replacement-photo-4.jpg   2013 GT Shaker Door replacement-photo-5.jpg  

Last edited by foreman05; 1/3/14 at 09:11 PM.
Old 1/5/14, 09:14 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad you got it in there without too much trouble, but you really should look into filling that gap between the speaker and the door. What is happening since you did not fully cover the 5x7 hole is that the sound wave is able to come from the back, which is the opposite wave that comes from the front of the cone, and causes cancellation. Basically the mirror image of the sound you want is escaping around the speaker which will cause you to lose some of the sound you want. You will typically notice this as a lack of some of the lower frequency notes.
Old 1/6/14, 02:36 PM
GT Member

So what about the hole under your new speaker, you just going to leave that open?
Old 1/7/14, 05:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by clucas
Glad you got it in there without too much trouble, but you really should look into filling that gap between the speaker and the door. What is happening since you did not fully cover the 5x7 hole is that the sound wave is able to come from the back, which is the opposite wave that comes from the front of the cone, and causes cancellation. Basically the mirror image of the sound you want is escaping around the speaker which will cause you to lose some of the sound you want. You will typically notice this as a lack of some of the lower frequency notes.
What he said is correct. You need to baffle the speaker correctly in order to produce the proper sound otherwise you are cancelling the sound waves.
Old 1/9/14, 08:25 AM
Bullitt Member

And it looks like this is the non shaker setup.. where is the lower speaker on the door? The shakers have the 2 speakers on the door no?
Old 1/9/14, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by stang8psi
And it looks like this is the non shaker setup.. where is the lower speaker on the door? The shakers have the 2 speakers on the door no?
It is the shaker. The subs are mounted to the door panel and you can see the female end of the harness to the right of the speaker in the OP pics.
Old 1/11/14, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by clucas
Thanks for the tip, fixed it but didn't really notice a difference but i understand the issue.
Old 1/11/14, 10:34 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by foreman05
Thanks for the tip, fixed it but didn't really notice a difference but i understand the issue.

Glad you got it fixed up. Since you have the shaker sub still in the door i'm sure that the difference isn't so noticeable, but if you were to rely on just the speaker you put in for the lower frequencies the difference would definitely be noticeable.