Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

2011 GT500 cluster in my 2010 GT

Search this Thread

Old 12/30/10, 12:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Racing should offer some aftermarket (OEM look) gauges like this that are a direct swap. Not everyone is into the whole "retro" thing. Personally, I think it's really holding this car back from being considered a true world class sports coupe. They have the performance, they have the options/features, now its time to tie it all together by dropping this silly nostalgia. I'm fine with the shape of the car having heritage cues (like the 2010+ do), and i like the moves that were made with the interior, but it's time to go all the way. The current "retro" gauge cluster is just comical looking with the other interior updates.
Old 12/30/10, 07:42 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by SVTJayC
Ford Racing should offer some aftermarket (OEM look) gauges like this that are a direct swap. Not everyone is into the whole "retro" thing. Personally, I think it's really holding this car back from being considered a true world class sports coupe. They have the performance, they have the options/features, now its time to tie it all together by dropping this silly nostalgia. I'm fine with the shape of the car having heritage cues (like the 2010+ do), and i like the moves that were made with the interior, but it's time to go all the way. The current "retro" gauge cluster is just comical looking with the other interior updates.
Ad I mentioned previously the Boss 302 cluster should fit the need and not have the boost gauge as well. Look for them later next Spring if not sooner.
Old 12/30/10, 07:54 AM
Cobra R Member

Dang it, I was happy with my dash/gauges until this thread popped up.
Old 12/30/10, 09:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Very nice! That is really a cool upgrade. Was Billy Howell the dealer that helped you?
Old 12/30/10, 09:43 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by monkeystash
Very nice! That is really a cool upgrade. Was Billy Howell the dealer that helped you?
No ...

Last edited by dmhines; 11/17/11 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12/30/10, 11:17 AM
SD6
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Double-EDad
Dang it, I was happy with my dash/gauges until this thread popped up.

Now that I saw that GT500 speedo, I love how the numbers are displayed (font and style). Looking forward to seeing if/when the Boss302 cluster is available, and how much $$$ it would cost to purchase/install.
Old 12/30/10, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by SD6

Now that I saw that GT500 speedo, I love how the numbers are displayed (font and style). Looking forward to seeing if/when the Boss302 cluster is available, and how much $$$ it would cost to purchase/install.
Here's the Boss 302 LS cluster. Note the regular Boss will have two additional gauges in the middle. They also have the aluminum bezels like the GT500.

Old 12/30/10, 01:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Ford Racing should offer some aftermarket (OEM look) gauges like this that are a direct swap. Not everyone is into the whole "retro" thing.
Nifty customization idea...

Personally, I think it's really holding this car back from being considered a true world class sports coupe. They have the performance, they have the options/features, now its time to tie it all together by dropping this silly nostalgia.
I don't think this is the case...not that people don't evaluate all aspects of the total package, but this is the stuff that distinguishes the Mustang from a competitor.

I'm fine with the shape of the car having heritage cues (like the 2010+ do), and i like the moves that were made with the interior, but it's time to go all the way. The current "retro" gauge cluster is just comical looking with the other interior updates.
I like the look of the script. In fact, it's one of the things that I've heard people comment on about being tied back to the originals, and they thought it was neat that Ford took the time to do that.

Design is such a challenging thing to balance among the many varied tastes for sure.
Old 1/19/11, 03:27 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks good. I'm a big fan of the RWB gauge set up. Wish they'd incorporate this to the GT as well.
Old 1/19/11, 03:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
Nifty customization idea...

I don't think this is the case...not that people don't evaluate all aspects of the total package, but this is the stuff that distinguishes the Mustang from a competitor.

I like the look of the script. In fact, it's one of the things that I've heard people comment on about being tied back to the originals, and they thought it was neat that Ford took the time to do that.

Design is such a challenging thing to balance among the many varied tastes for sure.
It looked fine in the 05-09's because the entire theme of the interior was retro. But in the 10+ Ford went modern with the entire center stack, console, and some aspects of the dash, yet left those Ford LTD gauges in there. They look out of place. Heck, even Ford's in-house tuner ditches them for something more modern looking.

Look to each his own. I don't seem to be in agreement with many on here because I see the Mustang as a sports coupe akin to the M3 or the S5. The same people who don't "get" my opinion on the interior, are usually the same people who can't wait to make this motor sound like a 429, and want to slap every type of louver imaginable onto the body.

Last edited by SVTJayC; 1/19/11 at 03:34 PM.
Old 1/19/11, 07:50 PM

It looked fine in the 05-09's because the entire theme of the interior was retro. But in the 10+ Ford went modern with the entire center stack, console, and some aspects of the dash, yet left those Ford LTD gauges in there. They look out of place. Heck, even Ford's in-house tuner ditches them for something more modern looking.
I completely agree with you on this, they look out of place on the 10+ Mustangs. And ditch the chrome while you're at it. The brushed aluminum in the GT500 and Boss look much nicer.
Old 1/20/11, 03:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

To Ford: I love the retro gauges. Just FYI. Before I got my car I was looking at random pictures of someone test driving a 2010 I think and my reaction was fairly typical to pretty much everything, about what I expected. Then in one shot the speedometer was caught in its entirety in the corner of it and despite the shot being aimed at an old Mustang they happened to pass, my eyes instead fell on the speedometer and I thought to myself "THAT'S JUST SEXY!" GT500 and Boss gauges are pretty nice too though. Modern is good when done with style, but I for one do like a bit of retro styling.
Old 1/20/11, 04:08 PM
Bullitt Member

In the redesign, I think I could really go for digital gauges, but for now, I too like the retro look. It for me is more of a throwback or reference to a bygone age of car production, rather than a part of a well cohesive retro look, but I do like it that way. If I wanted a car from the 60s, I would buy one instead. One thing that really does frustrate me about the speedometer is the fact I know that virtually never go past about half of the speed that is written on it. It makes me yearn to go faster. I would not want it to stop at 140 instead though. I would rather feel frustrated that I am not using the full potential of the car rather than not have a car that can really do 160. But once the redesign come, I would like to be able to have a personalized display, including type of speedometer if possible. Even changing the fonts would be fun.
Old 1/20/11, 06:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Retro Gauges
Old 1/21/11, 07:28 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Amen, Itravelalot.

Last edited by RandyW; 1/21/11 at 07:29 AM.
Old 3/11/11, 11:06 PM

Anybody know when this will be available??? I ****ed my cluster up pulling the needles out and now i'm parked at 8mph and idle at 1400rpm lol Tried adjusting but its a lose lose cant ever get it just right again
Old 4/19/11, 01:53 PM
Bullitt Member

I know it's a bit off topic, but was looking at doing the swap with the Boss 302 cluster instead of the GT500. My biggest question is about My Color, is the control on the cluster? I know the 302 doesn't have My Color, so was wondering if i would lose the ability to change the color by swapping.
Old 4/19/11, 02:11 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by FCMalie
I know it's a bit off topic, but was looking at doing the swap with the Boss 302 cluster instead of the GT500. My biggest question is about My Color, is the control on the cluster? I know the 302 doesn't have My Color, so was wondering if i would lose the ability to change the color by swapping.
Since the Boss Cluster is basically a Base Cluster you will probably lose all functionality that is included in the premium cluster including MyColor settings.
Old 4/19/11, 02:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by dmhines
Since the Boss Cluster is basically a Base Cluster you will probably lose all functionality that is included in the premium cluster including MyColor settings.
Yea, that's only thing I was kinda worried about. Guess I could try for the GT500 one. You sure there is no way to get that boost gauge to work? Considering a turbo setup at some point and would love to make that functional.
Old 4/19/11, 02:17 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by FCMalie
Yea, that's only thing I was kinda worried about. Guess I could try for the GT500 one. You sure there is no way to get that boost gauge to work? Considering a turbo setup at some point and would love to make that functional.
The only way I could imagine getting it working would be to see if a shop could install a GT500 ECM and then tune it to run the GT engine.

I have no idea if that would be possible. I'm guessing maybe on the 4.6 engine it would but I think the 5.0 engine is way too different to have a GT500 ECM run it.

Quick Reply: 2011 GT500 cluster in my 2010 GT