Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

2010+ Illuminated Engine Start Button

Search this Thread

Old 10/28/11, 08:41 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That will probably be in the next model of the mustang. Push start.
Old 10/29/11, 10:27 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's in the new Fiesta & Lincolns IIRC, so it wouldn't be a large stretch to see it go mainstream.
Old 11/1/11, 07:16 AM

I have a system installed in mine that uses the RFID key fob. I walk up to the car and the doors automatically unlock, power to the button automatically comes on, I get in and push the button and the engine starts. No need for the factory key anymore, just a small key fob that stays in my pocket. When I walk away from the vehicle the doors automatically lock. Never a need to press anything or use any factory keys.

Install on my type of system wasn't easy and wasn't cheap either.
Old 11/5/11, 06:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by discodave
I have a system installed in mine that uses the RFID key fob. I walk up to the car and the doors automatically unlock, power to the button automatically comes on, I get in and push the button and the engine starts. No need for the factory key anymore, just a small key fob that stays in my pocket. When I walk away from the vehicle the doors automatically lock. Never a need to press anything or use any factory keys.

Install on my type of system wasn't easy and wasn't cheap either.
That's bad to the bone!
Old 11/6/11, 11:23 AM

Thanks! Someday ill post a video of it or something. Start Buttons in general are cool in my book. The one silverhorseracing is selling is a good alternative if you don't want to spend the kind of money I did.
Old 7/4/12, 06:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
I wanted to resurrect this thread to ask a question. I e-mailed my question to the site, but nothing as of yet.

Is the plate and the trim ring around the button one piece?

I am wondering if that is the case, as I think I would chrome the trim ring and maybe even make another plate that has the button centered more.

You also hinted that there would be another starter button option. Anything come of that yet?

Cheers
Old 7/5/12, 09:15 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Strange, we didn't see a request come in... no matter, happy to answer

1) The plate / trim ring is one piece billet aluminum.

2) Centering the button is bad. It is high because the bottom of the A/C pocket area has the latching mechanism and plastic in there. By removing the power outlet, you have room for the switch and wiring in back without cutting anything. If you center the button, you then have to hack up the panel behind it.

3) We have the bezels available in chrome.

4) The other options... they are now starting to be listed on the Shelby Performance Parts site
Old 7/5/12, 09:49 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks.

The Shelby Performance parts - where am I supposed to look on the site?

Cheers
Old 7/5/12, 10:00 AM
Legacy Tms Member

http://www.shelbystore.com/Shelby-GT...0m-11572-c.htm

There's more, but that is the first one they now have in stock.
Old 7/5/12, 10:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SilverHorseRacing
http://www.shelbystore.com/Shelby-GT...0m-11572-c.htm

There's more, but that is the first one they now have in stock.
Wish you had a green button kit!
Old 7/6/12, 09:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

I saw a green button option on their site, greencars.

Last edited by bones302; 7/6/12 at 11:21 AM.
Old 7/9/12, 05:39 PM
Legacy Tms Member

What he said

Yes, we do have green as an option, although not too many people order it, they are available on our site.
Old 7/9/12, 11:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I see that you can do custom orders?

What about having the illumination in reverse? The button is painted except for the letters to illuminate the letters only? That doable, or something I'd should do myself?
Old 7/10/12, 08:43 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Yes we do a lot of custom orders, although that would be quite a tall one.

The only way I could think of doing that would be to paint the button, then attempt to laser-etch remove the paint in the lettering area, followed by clearcoat. Or similarly, mask the letters and paint the button, followed by removal of the mask and clearcoat.

No matter the option, given the size of the part, I think it is not realistic for us to do it here. While it could be done, I don't think you'd like the price for us to try and do this type of work. We do have buttons without any lettering on them that could be used for this purpose if you wanted to go the route of doing it yourself though, that could be substituted in place of our normal start buttons.
Old 7/11/12, 06:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

We do have buttons without any lettering on them that could be used for this purpose if you wanted to go the route of doing it yourself though, that could be substituted in place of our normal start buttons.
OK. That may be the way to go for me. I just need to fiure out how to make the lettering look clean and not like a homemade job. I figure I need to mask out the lettering, and then spray it. That masking will be a ***** to make it look good and clean.
Old 7/13/12, 12:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Saw the green button.. Def a future add-on for me..
Old 7/18/12, 11:16 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by SilverHorseRacing
Yes we do a lot of custom orders, although that would be quite a tall one.

The only way I could think of doing that would be to paint the button, then attempt to laser-etch remove the paint in the lettering area, followed by clearcoat. Or similarly, mask the letters and paint the button, followed by removal of the mask and clearcoat.

No matter the option, given the size of the part, I think it is not realistic for us to do it here. While it could be done, I don't think you'd like the price for us to try and do this type of work. We do have buttons without any lettering on them that could be used for this purpose if you wanted to go the route of doing it yourself though, that could be substituted in place of our normal start buttons.
Found a business that does laser engraving that will do it for $50. I just need you button. So how do I go about ordering the button you mentioned with no lettering?

And you said you do custom engraving on the plate? How much would it be to engrave 'MUSTANG' or '5.0' in the font Ford uses?

Cheers
Old 7/22/12, 07:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

if anyone wants to sell me the little power port plug door after they do this install, please PM me.

Last edited by bones302; 7/24/12 at 08:42 AM. Reason: happy, 11shelbyGT500?
Old 7/22/12, 08:11 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bones302
if anyone wants to sell me the little lighter plug door after they do this install, please PM me.
What lighter?
Old 7/26/12, 10:36 PM
Legacy Tms Member

We have a couple power outlet plugs running around here if you're interested - 10.00 sound fair + 3.00 to ship it postal to you?

On the custom engraving - we don't do it if it interferes with anyone else's trademarks. Since we prduce products for Ford, Shelby, and others, we are very respectful of their trademarks. As to custom ordering the non-marked piece, just call or email us and we can help you out.

Quick Reply: 2010+ Illuminated Engine Start Button