Notices
'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

Window Tinting

Search this Thread

Old 4/8/13, 08:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill's 5.0

You all are forgetting one thing. If 35% is legal in your state and you go to a tint shop and they put 35% tint on your windows you are now illegal because the windows already have tint built into them from the factory and with 35% tint put on by shop you are know at 28% and can be stopped and given a repair ticket.
In my state you can have whatever tint you want on the back. I have 2.5 on my rear sides and in the very back I have 5. An in the fronts I have 5. Cops around here don't care.

People get tickets for tint if they get pulled over for something else. They will just stack a tiny ticket on top of your speeding ticket, but they won't pull you over for just tint. And I'm pretty sure the front doesn't have tint on it. And the shop has a tint reader. If you ask for something legal that's what you will get. And if you did get a ticket the shop says they will pay it.
Old 4/8/13, 02:32 PM
Bullitt Member

it's bad in michigan, i mean terrible. state and local police use the "no tint on front windows unless it's a 4" strip at the top" law to pull people over right and left here. then, they will nickle and dime you on other tickets to make it all add up. it's a very ridiculous process. if a city needs money, just let me know in advance and i'll make some type of donation. relying on petty traffic offenses to fund the operation of a city/police force is terrible business, i'm sorry. get the drunk drivers, get the old people who haven't taken a vision test in 10 years, get the teeny boppers group texting their latest self shot they took while driving. dont get the guy respecting the speed limit in a nice, new car with thousands invested. As always, you have cool cops who don't care but for every one of those, there's another two who will pull you on sight.

The argument here is that police can't see what the driver or passenger is doing behind tinted glass. But the law states you have to roll your front window down when you're pulled over so it's not much of an argument. The intergalactic, ultra-gamma LED spotlight show that these new cruisers blast on your face is more than capable of keeping police officers safe at night. If drivers don't roll their front windows down when getting pulled over, THAT should be a ticket. not just having tint.

Last edited by essque; 4/8/13 at 02:33 PM.
Old 4/8/13, 05:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 05GTJOSH

People get tickets for tint if they get pulled over for something else. They will just stack a tiny ticket on top of your speeding ticket, but they won't pull you over for just tint.
Sorry but that is Your the first state ( what state is that ? ) that I have heard of that a cop will not pull you over for tint ( cops do not like tint for one main reason ) "THEIR OWN SAFETY" Why do you think they carry a "TINT METER" with them ? I was just trying to give some information to those who do not realize that when they ask for 35% tint their car is "NOT" 35% and I know of "NO" tinter who will pay for a ticket if your stopped.

Last edited by Bill's 5.0; 4/8/13 at 05:17 PM.
Old 4/8/13, 05:19 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry but that is Your the first state that I have heard of that a cop will not pull you over for tint ( cops do not like tint for one main reason ) "THEIR OWN SAFETY" Why do you think they carry a "TINT METER" with them ? I was just trying to give some information to those who do not realize that when they ask for 35% tint their car is "NOT" 35% and I know of "NO" tinter who will pay for a ticket if your stopped.
California - they don't pull you over for tint here. If you break some other law, they might write you depending on the officer. They don't give a **** about tint. A tint meter, never heard of it...that's funny.

Last edited by 11SHELBYGT500; 4/8/13 at 05:21 PM.
Old 4/8/13, 05:27 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500

California - they don't pull you over for tint here. If you break some other law, they might write you depending on the officer. They don't give a **** about tint. A tint meter, never heard of it...that's funny.
Same in va pretty much. Got pulled over for not having a front plate the other day and he said "the tint is a little dark too" but never wrote anything about it on the fix it ticket for the plate
Old 4/8/13, 05:32 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Lol tent meter is better than tint meter.
Old 4/8/13, 06:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Tint isn't a big deal. I used to put my windows down around cops but I stopped caring and have never gotten pulled over for it. And bill I live in north Carolina.
Old 4/8/13, 06:45 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry but that is Your the first state ( what state is that ? ) that I have heard of that a cop will not pull you over for tint ( cops do not like tint for one main reason ) "THEIR OWN SAFETY" Why do you think they carry a "TINT METER" with them ? I was just trying to give some information to those who do not realize that when they ask for 35% tint their car is "NOT" 35% and I know of "NO" tinter who will pay for a ticket if your stopped.
Come on bro. Stop being silly. The percentage is how much light is allowed in. Just because the factory glass is treated for UV. It doesn't block anything. So if you get 35% tint it is indeed 35%.

From there cops here don't pull for tint either. They don't even add it on. A lot of departments don't carry tint meters. The city cops around here do. The county cops do not.

I also find it hard to believe that you know every tinter in the country. Just because you don't know a tinter that will pay for a ticket doesn't mean it's bs.

Last edited by typesredline; 4/8/13 at 06:47 PM.
Old 4/8/13, 06:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by typesredline

Come on bro. Stop being silly. The percentage is how much light is allowed in. Just because the factory glass is treated for UV. It doesn't block anything. So if you get 35% tint it is indeed 35%.

From there cops here don't pull for tint either. They don't even add it on. A lot of departments don't carry tint meters. The city cops around here do. The county cops do not.

I also find it hard to believe that you know every to yet in the country. Just because you don't know a tinter that will pay for a ticket doesn't mean it's bs.
+1
Pretty true.
I don't think your "tint meter" will protect them. So it's not or their "safety".
Old 4/9/13, 06:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Has anyone ever used Solar Gard? One of the highest rated shops around uses Solar Gard and it's all machine cut into one piece. Quoted me NR $169.95, HP $239.95, Supreme $269.95, HP Supreme $299.95, Ultra Perf $399.95. NR is charcoal and has metal shavings which will mess with signals... The rest of his prices seem crazy high.

http://www.solargard.com/window-films/automotive

Last edited by Rando; 4/9/13 at 06:35 AM.
Old 4/9/13, 07:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
California and Arizona maybe, but here in Maryland "NO" the Maryland State Troopers carry a meter with them that is put up to the window to tell how much light passes through it. I know I was on the receiving end of one ( HAD 35% TINT ) but mettered out at 28% because of the factory Tint and had to have it removed at a inspection station. "NOT" every trooper will pull you over most will not, but there is the occasional one that will. Also all Maryland inspection stations have the meters. Maryland is very strick on their laws. Beleive it or not I know have a letter from my eye doctor that allows me to have tint darker then Maryland law allows (35%) sensitive to light. If I am stopped all I have to do is just show the cop the letter. Delaware has similar laws only difference is they do not have to carry a doctors letter with them, it is documented on the records. I hope someone from Maryland or Delaware can chime in and confirm what I am saying. H*ll where I live I have seen State Troopers here on the Eastern Shore up in cherry pickers in the trees with radar and 3 or 4 Trooper cars a 1/4 of a mile down the road pulling people over.

Last edited by Bill's 5.0; 4/9/13 at 07:26 AM.
Old 4/9/13, 07:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by typesredline

I also find it hard to believe that you know every tinter in the country. Just because you don't know a tinter that will pay for a ticket doesn't mean it's bs.

ASK A PROFESSIONAL TINTER. I know I was on the receiving end of one ( HAD 35% TINT ) but mettered out at 28% because of the factory Tint at the inspection Station. How do you think they check the light that passes through the window ? I had to have it removed at a inspection station. "NOT" every trooper will pull you over most will not, but there is the occasional one that will here in Maryland and Delaware. Believe it or not if I was driving in another State I could actually get a ticket for tint or no front license plate in that State. Even if that State does not have tint or no front plate laws. If you do not believe that "LOOK IT UP.

I did not say I knew every Tinter in the Country, but I am willing to bet it would be very hard to find one that would give you a Guarentee like that. Do you realize how much business a good tinter does in a year. If they had to pay every ticket that is given out they would be out of business very quickly here in Maryland and Delaware.

Last edited by Bill's 5.0; 4/9/13 at 07:30 AM.
Old 4/9/13, 07:35 AM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think im gonna do 30 for the door windows, 20 for the doritos and the rear windshield, and 20 for a windshield brow. Anyone have a pic similar to this set-up??
Old 4/9/13, 08:02 AM
Banned

+1
Pretty true.
I don't think your "tint meter" will protect them. So it's not or their "safety".
I did not say the Tint meter protects them. Please read carefully. I said they carry them to check Tint when they pull you over. The part about safety is, if you have darker Tint then the law allows, for example Marylnd is 35% it is hard for the officer to see what you are doing in the car ( reaching for a gun possibly, or hiding drugs ) specially at night Tint looks darker, and if he can not see you then it becomes a safety issue for the cop. Why do you think the have Tint Laws ? Just to **** people off ? Try looking at it on the cops side.

Last edited by Bill's 5.0; 4/9/13 at 08:05 AM.
Old 4/9/13, 08:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

I did not say the Tint meter protects them. Please read carefully. I said they carry them to check Tint when they pull you over. The part about safety is, if you have darker Tint then the law allows, for example Marylnd is 35% it is hard for the officer to see what you are doing in the car ( reaching for a gun possibly, or hiding drugs ) specially at night Tint looks darker, and if he can not see you then it becomes a safety issue for the cop. Why do you think the have Tint Laws ? Just to **** people off ? Try looking at it on the cops side.
It's a dumb argument. Most states have no tint laws regarding back windows. That's where an officer really needs to see. By the time he gets near you your window is down and the tint isn't even an issue.
Old 4/9/13, 09:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Just trying to say a lot of cops don't care. North Carolina has the same laws but they don't "enforce" them.
Old 4/9/13, 09:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rando
It's a dumb argument. Most states have no tint laws regarding back windows. That's where an officer really needs to see. By the time he gets near you your window is down and the tint isn't even an issue.
Excuse me, you need to check before you assume ( make a *** out of U and ME ) something. "MOST" States have "REAR WINDOW TINT LAWS" just for the cops safety. try GOOGLING it's a wonderful tool.
Old 4/9/13, 09:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Excuse me, you need to check before you assume ( make a *** out of U and ME ) something. "MOST" States have "REAR WINDOW TINT LAWS" just for the cops safety. try GOOGLING it's a wonderful tool.
Chill out.
Old 4/9/13, 10:00 AM
Banned

Chill out.
I do not need to chill out. it's the ones that do not understand the laws and like to argue about everything under the Sun that need to chill out. Facts are facts. End of story, Have a nice day.
Old 4/9/13, 10:22 AM
Bullitt Member

I do not need to chill out. it's the ones that do not understand the laws and like to argue about everything under the Sun that need to chill out. Facts are facts. End of story, Have a nice day.
I don't know why you are grinning.

Quick Reply: Window Tinting