Notices
'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

SilverHorse Racing flush-mount quarter window louvers

Search this Thread

Old 4/14/10, 06:02 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Randy, I'm waiting for pics as soon as they arrive.

I re-read the install, and these don't seem tough at all if you take your time. Definitely different than any mod I've done before.
Old 4/15/10, 04:11 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Overboost
Randy, I'm waiting for pics as soon as they arrive.
OK, Overboost, this is the first time I've tried posting a picture on this forum so let's see if this works. The flash makes the color look brighter than it would in natural light but it's windy as heck outside today so I had to shoot it inside.
Attached Thumbnails SilverHorse Racing flush-mount quarter window louvers-shr_louvers_kona.jpg  
Old 4/20/10, 08:17 AM
GTR Member

Wow, those look great. Can't wait to see them installed.

SHR, Ford should offer these as a factory option!
Old 4/20/10, 08:31 AM
Cobra Member

Wow, those look great. Can't wait to see them installed.

SHR, Ford should offer these as a factory option!
Only on the CJ
Old 4/20/10, 08:41 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by 69Mach1-409
Only on the CJ
These should be an option on GTs and GT500s, along with the Boss.
Old 4/20/10, 10:10 AM
GTR Member

The problem I see with Ford offering these on 2010+ is the fact that the interior panels have to be trimmed to make them fit. Not an operation Ford can do on production lines. They can do it on the CJ because they are a more hand built car. If a version of these could be made specifically for the 2010+ that didn't need interior trimming to fit, then they could possibly be a factory option and would be a much easier and faster install.
Old 4/20/10, 01:19 PM
Cobra Member

On the one hand, it would certainly be more convenient and probably cheaper, if they were a factory option. On the other hand, it does make the finished car more unique having something on it that is obviously "custom".
Old 4/20/10, 05:17 PM
GTR Member

Ford would have to redesign the interior panel to accommodate the louvers, but it could be done. Either way, SHR has an awesome piece that I can't wait to put on my car in the near future.
Old 4/20/10, 05:30 PM
GTR Member

Ford would have to redesign the interior panel to accommodate the louvers, but it could be done.
I believe you have that backwards, Ford isn't going to do a redesign to accomodate an accessory add-on, Silverhorse would have to redesign their louvers to fit.

I like the flush louvers, they are lots better than any add-on window cover style out there.

I'm just not hot to try and make any cuts on the interior panels, maybe after cutting I could install something to cover any ragged edges.
Old 4/20/10, 06:59 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
I believe you have that backwards, Ford isn't going to do a redesign to accomodate an accessory add-on, Silverhorse would have to redesign their louvers to fit.

I like the flush louvers, they are lots better than any add-on window cover style out there.

I'm just not hot to try and make any cuts on the interior panels, maybe after cutting I could install something to cover any ragged edges.
True, I guess you could look at it either way. Either party could adjust, or both, to make them work.

I'm not crazy about cutting the interior either, but if you take your time and focus on detail, you should be fine.
Old 4/20/10, 07:52 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Guess I need to chime in with some factual info here:

1) Lightning Driver is correct, it is incumbent upon us to do a redesign for it to work with Ford's vehicle if we want it on their assembly line (in all fairness, I am not divulging details of any conversations at this time, if any in fact have taken place ). The drawings to do it are however done. The reason it has not been done already is funding the new tool and production development doesn't make a lot of sense unless someone decides to move forward with one of our designs since for aftermarket use the trim is not a real issue (see #2).

2) The trimming is very minor. Using a jigsaw or equivalant, there is one small cut to make on each of the two interior quarter panel pieces which Ford added to "shrink" the interior opening to match the exterior of the 2010+. The trim line was drawn up as a straight across cut to make it easy for people reading our directions to duplicate without complex measurements of where to put dips and curves. Once trimmed, there is no need to "finish" the edge other than to debur it. When re-installed, it is difficult to even know it was done (I guess I should take some close-ups of our car, which I had literally 5 minutes in trimming, and that was while figuring out where to do it). It is done only to help "clear" the #1 vent, as #2-5 are clear even without any trimming, but making a straight cut is easy, and gives a less "modified" look when complete.

3) The CJ cars for 2010 are NOT trimmed. Ford decided to install the louvers on one day, and the interior the next. Since a lot of other work went into these cars, separating the install time wasn't a big issue for them, and the interiors of these cars are "wedged" by the forward-most louver when installed. This works fine on a race car with separated times between window install and interior, but for a weekend wrench who wants his car back together, it presents more of a challenge, hence why we recommend trimming the interior panels to speed up re-assembly and to keep from having the interior exert pressure / rub on the louvers, which could possibly result in some noise inside as these cars age. (Yeah, I've driven my fair share of well-driven Mustangs) Honestly I doubt this would be the case given the location, but it's better to err on the side of keeping unintended noise out of the car if possible.

4) As for pricing as a factory option, this is COMPLETELY out of our control. I know what our production costs are, and what it would take to ramp that up to be able to offer this as a factory option. I also know some of the regulatory costs, as well as the markups that would be incurred every step of the way to the end user. I don't know for fact, but I would guess at *best* the price would remain approx. level with what it costs to DIY now. Unless it were to be offered on every car, the labor painting costs and related production expenses would not allow "economies of scale" to significantly change this. The ramp-up # that would need to be met to invest in automated painting systems of this part would only make sense if we were painting 20x the volume we do currently, and nobody is talking those kinds of #'s if the piece is only made a line-item option...

Hope that helps
Old 4/20/10, 09:45 PM
GTR Member

I am assuming (I know, dangerous) that the redesign to clear the 2010+ interior panel would not affect the fit on 05-09???
Old 4/20/10, 10:06 PM
GTR Member

I love the subtle hints that SHR is dropping. You guys are awesome. Thanks for the explanation on the changes and the necessity to make the interior cuts.
Old 4/21/10, 07:43 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
I am assuming (I know, dangerous) that the redesign to clear the 2010+ interior panel would not affect the fit on 05-09???
I'm not sure I follow - the re-design to fit the '10+ would be a completely new injection tool, and therefore would not cross over to the 05-09 pieces. We would then manufacture two completely separate pieces for the different model years, instead of how it is now, where we use one of our CNC machines to trim the 05-09 piece that we make to fit the 10+ opening.

Does that help?
Old 4/21/10, 11:37 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by SilverHorseRacing
I'm not sure I follow - the re-design to fit the '10+ would be a completely new injection tool, and therefore would not cross over to the 05-09 pieces. We would then manufacture two completely separate pieces for the different model years, instead of how it is now, where we use one of our CNC machines to trim the 05-09 piece that we make to fit the 10+ opening.

Does that help?
Okay, that is what I didn't know, that there is a difference in shape or size between 2010 and 05-09 quarter window opening and that you are modifying the 05-09 part to fit the 2010.
Old 4/21/10, 11:52 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Oh yes, the 05-09 opening is larger by ~.5" in height both in the outer skin and at the weld seam. Luckily, the length overall is the same, and only the height and corner radiuses needed changing to fit the '10, which allowed us to get this to market last year just 3 months after we had our car.
Old 4/21/10, 12:51 PM
GTR Member

Too bad you guys aren't near Houston, I'd hit you up for one of those jobs you have listed on the website.

Last edited by Ltngdrvr; 4/21/10 at 12:52 PM.
Old 5/4/10, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just received/installed my SHR louvers on my 2010. I didn't need to trim hardly anything at all off the panels. If you get these windows, test fit the panels after the Urethane sets. The first louver needs to be accommodated with a small (3/16") notch in the top of the top panel and a shave at the lower back - that's it. Yes, there's some contact with minimal pressure, but it looks very professional and a small bit of foam tape carefully placed (hidden, of course, under the panel) will take care of any potential noise (this tape is already used on the OEM trim piece FYI). I also spoke to the gent at SHR (I presume the owner), and he's awesome. A wealth of knowledge!
Old 5/4/10, 11:36 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by IMAFORDFAN
I just received/installed my SHR louvers on my 2010. I didn't need to trim hardly anything at all off the panels. If you get these windows, test fit the panels after the Urethane sets. The first louver needs to be accommodated with a small (3/16") notch in the top of the top panel and a shave at the lower back - that's it. Yes, there's some contact with minimal pressure, but it looks very professional and a small bit of foam tape carefully placed (hidden, of course, under the panel) will take care of any potential noise (this tape is already used on the OEM trim piece FYI). I also spoke to the gent at SHR (I presume the owner), and he's awesome. A wealth of knowledge!
Pics, Pics, Pics...

Old 5/6/10, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Absolutely will post pics, but the car is currently under destruction, err construction. Looks like crap - dirty, masking tape applied, partially disassembled. Once the outside is done (stripes, rear window louvers, correct tires etc.) are done I'll be anxious to post.

The wife granted me a small budget to upgrade the car (wasn't that nice of her....). Already have installed lower fog lights, quarter windows, new speakers all around, wheels, stripes laid out, etc. It's on a somewhat fast track to completion! Another few weeks.

What I'll be posting is pics of the bare bones model car with only maybe $2,500 of mods (and some blood, sweat & tears). I think it'll be impressive!

FYI - if you're doing the quarter louvers and have the car that far apart, I'd HGHLY encourage you to throw a few extra $$$ into better speakers. Ford's stock speakers (no matter what edition you have) have a LOT to be desired. I bought four Polk's for a total of $150 - it's like a whole new and great sounding sound system! A "mild" subwoofer for this stock head should fit my tastes just fine. Yeah, I know, that should be in another forum....

Quick Reply: SilverHorse Racing flush-mount quarter window louvers