Notices
'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

Raxiom Halo fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 6/30/14, 08:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Raxiom Halo fog lights

Not sure if Canadian and US cars are different, but on my car, the day to e running lights are the outer LED strips along with the fog/driving lights. To me this is a bit much. I'm considering installing the Raxiom Halo fogs and installing them in such a way that the halos are on as the DRL, along with the LED strips on the stock headlights. Anybody tried this that can offer advice on whether this is possible or easy to do?
Old 7/1/14, 10:02 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm subscribing because I would like to do this exact same thing. My car, a US model, only has those LED strips used as DRLs, so I can't help except to say that apparently the US and Canadian models differ there.
Old 7/1/14, 10:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John H
I'm subscribing because I would like to do this exact same thing. My car, a US model, only has those LED strips used as DRLs, so I can't help except to say that apparently the US and Canadian models differ there.
Seems to me that your issue might be easier to overcome than mine, just by switching some wires around and instead of tapping the parking light wires for the halos, tap the LED DRL wiring.

With mine, I think I'd need to switch the wires so the wiring to the main beam now powers the halos, and a secondary switch for the main beam, which is an ugly solution.
Old 7/1/14, 10:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
As I see it, the halos are not the problem on the Canadian model. You can do the same thing as you would in the US - connect them to the existing DRL LED bars over the headlights. The problem is that you then want the fog lights themselves not to turn on for DRL use.

Don't the Canadian models still have the normal manual fog light switch as part of the headlights switch (for use at night when DRLs are not in use)? If so, there must be two power supplies for them - the normal headlight/parking light feed from the dash switch and the additional ignition/DRL feed to have them on during the day. The two DRL circuits (LEDs and fog lights) are most likely separate because the US model has the LEDs but not the fog lights. That means there is probably some point where the fog light portion can be disabled without disabling the LEDs. I suspect there is a relay someplace that powers the fog light DRL function since the LED bars don't draw any significant current but the fog lights certainly do. If such a relay exists, you could just unplug it.

I don't have access to a '13-'14 electrical manual so I can't tell you exactly how to proceed. Perhaps your dealer might help if you show that you are providing alternate DRLs to remain legal in Canada.

BTW, I don't think the headlight LED bars are intended for DRL use - they are nowhere near bright enough. I think they're just trim lights like the vertical bar lights on recent Ford Edge models.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 7/1/14 at 10:55 AM.